SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Question

Buckshot Bear

I've had a Dlllon XL650 with auto case feed for 10-12 years setup solely for 9mm.

I have a Lyman 6 turret press with three dies for .32 S&W long and a Lee powder thrower and then 3 dies for .38 and another Lee powder thrower (cramped but it all fitted) and I've used that for about 30 or so years, but I know from loading bulk 9mm on the old Lyman that its going to get old fast loading a lot of .38's

I've never changed over a Dillon setup, how actually hard is it to change from 9mm to .38? What would I need in total to make it as painless as possible?

Very easy.  You need a .38 spl shell plate, locator buttons and powder-thru expander button - those come in the "conversion kit".

You need a set of loading dies.  Dillon makes a very good .38 spl die set.  So does RCBS.   Hornady and Lee would be well down in my preference order.  I would get a die head plate and make the swap out of the whole die set in a minute - saves swapping out dies.   But does require a dedicated Dillon powder measure - which I also think is a time saver.

With those items in hand, a normal change from 9mm to 38spl would take me less than 2 minutes. 

good luck, GJ

The conversion chart is here....

http://dillonprecision.com/docs/caliberconversioncharts/XL_650_Caliber_Conversion_Chart.pdf

Definitely get a separate tool head. They aren't expensive ($36 from Dillon) and you can find them pretty inexpensively on Ebay.

The conversion kits run about $87. 

(Yeah, I just happened to have their catalog on my desk.)

If you want to stay with the one powder measure, get a powder die for your second tool head so you can just swap it over.

I have the snowshooze quick releases on my powder measures, so emptying them or swapping them over is super easy.

13 hours ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

650 conversion kit should have additional parts for your auto case feeder. You will also need a large pistol casefeeder plate, 9mm uses small pistol casefeeder plate.

Not at all trying to pick a fight here, I honestly don't know.  Are you sure 38 Special takes the large plate?  I vaguely remember having to swap plates when I'd go from 45 ACP to 38 Special. But my brain ain't what it used to be so I could be remembering incorrectly. 

11 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Not at all trying to pick a fight here, I honestly don't know.  Are you sure 38 Special takes the large plate?  I vaguely remember having to swap plates when I'd go from 45 ACP to 38 Special. But my brain ain't what it used to be so I could be remembering incorrectly. 

38Spl Requires a Large Pistol Plate.

Large Pistol(21072):

• Used for 38 Special/357, 40 S&W,10mm and larger cartridges.
  • For 357, 41 and 44 magnum, 45 Colt: use the spacer washer that is included with the electric case feeder.
  • For 7.62x39mm use two of the spacer washers.

Small Pistol(21073):

• Recommended for use with 32ACP, #2 S&W Long/32 H&R Magnum, .380 ACP, 9mm/38 Super.
  • For 30 Carbine use two of the spacer washers.

Small Rifle(21074):

• Recommended for .17 Remington, .204 Ruger, 222 & 223 Remington and related cartridges

Large Rifle(21075):

• Recommended for 22/250, 308 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 Winchester, 45-70 Gov't, most standard belted magnums and related cartridges.

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Yep, been using a large plate for 38/357's for years.  Had to pick up a small pistol plate for 9mm.  

Besides, I don't want to fight you.  I fight big guys, like Butch Cassidy did; I cheat. :D

Archived