SASS Wire Forum

Does it makes since for a Newbie to start reloading now

Bearfoot Tracker

I started buying my guns and some ammo late last year. I built a cart last year. I went and watched several matches and talked to people. I finally competed in my first match this past Saturday at Cross Creek Cowboys in Wagram NC. Thanks to Null N Void for his help and advise through the match.  I now have the hook set. I only have enough ammunitions to compete in another 3-4 matches before I run out. I am trying to find and buy ammo, but not with much luck unless I want to pay Gun Broker prices. So, I thought the answer would be to immediately start reloading.

I have talked to a couple of people about reloading and have done a lot of reading on this site regarding where, when and how.

The problem I have found is that (through normal online conventional sites) a lot of reloading equipment is out of stock. Brass is out of stock. Primers are out of stock. Powder is out of stock. But, bullets can be found. Given that, it does not make since to me to invest in a lot of equipment and Gun Broker priced reloading supplies right now. Even without factoring in the equipment costs, I would be paying around $0.70 cents per round to reload. The factory ammo I bought so far has been Choice Ammo (which is currently out of stock and not backorderable) is $0.84 per round.

The question is .... with your experience would it make since to you for me to go ahead and start now, or hold out for things to calm down and ammo come back in stock?

My concern is that we have been experiencing these ups and downs in ammo availability more often over the past 12 years, and if I wait for ammo to come back to normal, I may be watching you compete from the sidelines. I am seriously thinking of going ahead and buying the equipment, and paying Gun Broker prices to get me in a position to make my own ammo to last me through the end of the year. By then, ammo and reloading supplies/pricing may be back to normal, and my price per round will drop considerably compared to buying the initial supplies off of Gun Broker.

Sorry for the long post, but I would appreciate your thoughts to help me with mine.

7 minutes ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

The question is .... with your experience would it make since to you for me to go ahead and start now, or hold out for things to calm down and ammo come back in stock?

No, yes.  Does not make any difference if you are looking for ammo or reloading supplies.  They are both in short supply.

Yes it makes sense to reload.   
1. Keep your brass, scrounge your brass, and go to local ranges (indoor more than outdoor) and buy used brass from them. 
2. Log onto ammoseek.com and watch for primers and powder.  
3. Set the notify me for powder at Midway, Brownells, etc….  Midway has been getting powders.  
4. Check estate sales for reloading equipment.  It’s surprising what is there.  
5. Primers are the hardest, but not completely impossible to find.  
6. Forget gunbroker and cheaperthandirt they’ll just rip you off.   
Last, watch We The People Munitions  for ammo drops from Duece Stevens 

Thanks for the replies Pettifogger and Not Dead Ed. The answer may be to go ahead and start getting the equipment now, and keep my eye on the supplies. I can shoot the ammo I have while looking for the reloading supplies at a reasonable price. I already have about 200 rounds of spent brass, 500 rounds of .38 Special new brass, 400 rounds of .45 Colt new brass, 1000 rounds of .38 bullets, and 500 rounds of .45 Colt bullets coming. The biggest issue is the Powder and Primers. I will just have to be patient ..... my wife just laughed at me as was writing that last statement.

Not to change the subject for others to reply to, but what I want to get is a RCBS Turret Press and dies.

13 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

Yes it makes sense to reload.   
1. Keep your brass, scrounge your brass, and go to local ranges (indoor more than outdoor) and buy used brass from them. 
2. Log onto ammoseek.com and watch for primers and powder.  
3. Set the notify me for powder at Midway, Brownells, etc….  Midway has been getting powders.  
4. Check estate sales for reloading equipment.  It’s surprising what is there.  
5. Primers are the hardest, but not completely impossible to find.  
6. Forget gunbroker and cheaperthandirt they’ll just rip you off.   
Last, watch We The People Munitions  for ammo drops from Duece Stevens 

THIS^^^

Especially #6

Be patient and watch for sales and good deals. They are still out there if you are patient and keep a watchful eye. 

In the long run, it will be beneficial to start reloading sooner rather than later.

Ask around at your local club(s) and see if anyone has any reloading equipment they're thinking of getting rid of.

You'll need a mentor to show you the ropes, whether in person or online, so best to see if a local shooter that reloads is willing to help you out.

Small pistol primers (standard, magnum, match - whatever you can get your hands on for a decent price) for the .38 Special and large pistol primers (small/magnum/match) for the .45 Colt.

Clays, Clay Dot, Unique and Trail Boss are used in a large number of reduced loads for both cartridges.

Nothing wrong with the RCBS turret press.

29 minutes ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

Thanks for the replies Pettifogger and Not Dead Ed. The answer may be to go ahead and start getting the equipment now, and keep my eye on the supplies. I can shoot the ammo I have while looking for the reloading supplies at a reasonable price. I already have about 200 rounds of spent brass, 500 rounds of .38 Special new brass, 400 rounds of .45 Colt new brass, 1000 rounds of .38 bullets, and 500 rounds of .45 Colt bullets coming. The biggest issue is the Powder and Primers. I will just have to be patient ..... my wife just laughed at me as was writing that last statement.

Not to change the subject for others to reply to, but what I want to get is a RCBS Turret Press and dies.

11 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

In the long run, it will be beneficial to start reloading sooner rather than later.

Ask around at your local club(s) and see if anyone has any reloading equipment they're thinking of getting rid of.

You'll need a mentor to show you the ropes, whether in person or online, so best to see if a local shooter that reloads is willing to help you out.

Small pistol primers (standard, magnum, match - whatever you can get your hands on for a decent price) for the .38 Special and large pistol primers (small/magnum/match) for the .45 Colt.

Clays, Clay Dot, Unique and Trail Boss are used in a large number of reduced loads for both cartridges.

Nothing wrong with the RCBS turret press.

Go look at Midway USA now, they have powders in stock that’ll work for you.  Or they did a few hours ago.  

Thanks Not Dead Ed. I am on their site now trying to see what would work. I originally thought I would go with Hodgdon Tite-Group & Hodgdon Clays but they do not have those or Unique, which is another I was considering. They do have others though.

It's never the wrong time to start reloading! Get what ya can and get going! Yea, supplies are hard to find and kinda expensive but still cheaper than factory loads. Good luck!!

Since you have a SASS number, post a WTB for your press in the classifieds. And any other stuff you need.

Also join the forums for your local clubs for the same.

Primers? You can ask, supplies are thin but someone might be able to spare a couple thousand of them.

Contact Scarlett at bulletsbyscarlett.com. She may have Cleanshot. She doesnt ship but may be close enough to travel there, or possibly meet at a match. I use Cleanshot for all my cowboy loads now including for 12 ga. I would suggest you start to gather supplies and equipment as you find it. Other cowboys may be af great help. Good luck and welcome to the game.

Imis

It is always good to reload even when components are hard to come by.  By reloading you give yourself one more avenue of supply.  So if you can buy components you can reload and when you can't find components maybe you can find some factory ammo.  I prefer to reload but when the $hit hits the fan and there aren't any components I can look for some factory stuff to keep me shooting.

Thanks everyone.

I just picked up 2 bottles HP-38 Powder from Midway. That will get me going until I figure everything out.

Just checked bulletsbyscarlett.com she also has the Cleanshot powder.

Hopefully these powders will do the job as compared to what I was thinking of using in Tite-Group & Clays powders.

Now on to Primers. I will keep looking .... they will pop up sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

I started buying my guns and some ammo late last year. I built a cart last year. I went and watched several matches and talked to people. I finally competed in my first match this past Saturday at Cross Creek Cowboys in Wagram NC. Thanks to Null N Void for his help and advise through the match.  I now have the hook set. I only have enough ammunitions to compete in another 3-4 matches before I run out. I am trying to find and buy ammo, but not with much luck unless I want to pay Gun Broker prices. So, I thought the answer would be to immediately start reloading.

I have talked to a couple of people about reloading and have done a lot of reading on this site regarding where, when and how.

The problem I have found is that (through normal online conventional sites) a lot of reloading equipment is out of stock. Brass is out of stock. Primers are out of stock. Powder is out of stock. But, bullets can be found. Given that, it does not make since to me to invest in a lot of equipment and Gun Broker priced reloading supplies right now. Even without factoring in the equipment costs, I would be paying around $0.70 cents per round to reload. The factory ammo I bought so far has been Choice Ammo (which is currently out of stock and not backorderable) is $0.84 per round.

My concern is that we have been experiencing these ups and downs in ammo availability more often over the past 12 years, and if I wait for ammo to come back to normal, I may be watching you compete from the sidelines. I am seriously thinking of going ahead and buying the equipment, and paying Gun Broker prices to get me in a position to make my own ammo to last me through the end of the year. By then, ammo and reloading supplies/pricing may be back to normal, and my price per round will drop considerably compared to buying the initial supplies off of Gun Broker.

Sorry for the long post, but I would appreciate your thoughts to help me with mine.

Reloading is a plus...

So, read, learn, buy what you can at REASONABLE prices...

You can not go wrong with investing in simple

Gear and knowledge!

OP, I shop Midway as a last resort, because they are expensive.
Their powder prices are heinously expensive.
Factor in $19.85 hazmat + shipping... you get the idea.
$40 per pound at your LGS is cheaper than $40 at Midway, plus all the fees.

Look to MidSouth, Grafs, Natchez as they have stock today.. mostly Accurate.
AA #2 is a good workable powder for SASS use.

PowderValley and Starline remain out of stock on Trail Boss, N32C, and 38,44.45 brass.
You have to check them several times every day as the stock levels are real time, and they sell out quickly.

I have recently bought a 12ga and 20ga loaders by using estatesales.net.  These were serious upgrades for me and relieved two families of unwanted equipment after a family member passed or downsized.  There are sales every weekend.

Bearfoot, welcome to the fire.  Null and the Wagram gang are good folk.  I am near Greensboro and like to hear about new shooters in NC

44 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Contact Scarlett at bulletsbyscarlett.com. She may have Cleanshot. She doesnt ship but may be close enough to travel there, or possibly meet at a match. I use Cleanshot for all my cowboy loads now including for 12 ga. I would suggest you start to gather supplies and equipment as you find it. Other cowboys may be af great help. Good luck and welcome to the game.

Imis

Scarlett is at End of Trail this week in Etna Green, Indiana and the vendor showcase videos posted show she’s there with lots of powder! 

Not Dead Ed, That may have been what I should have done ..... taken a trip there and see about picking up supplies (as it is probably more plentiful there). Plus I could have had a good time watching all the people.

HP-38 is a satisfactory pistol powder - versatile and meters well.  Those who have tried reduced loads with it report poor results.  I use it in my 1911 loads.  It burns a little dirty and I need to strip and clean the pistol daily.  Once-fired 38 Special brass is available on auction sites for about a nickel a case.  You will probably have to buy new .45 Colt brass.  Many use Starline.

Today I Just bought 1000 Federal spp on gunbroker for $210.  Also bought 2 lbs Hp-38 at midway for $90 delivered.

I figure im paying $.33 per round for 38 special.

brass - free because I reuse

power - $.06 / round

primer - $.21 / round

bullet - $.06 / round

Expensive but a lot cheaper then store bought rounds.

37 minutes ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

Not Dead Ed, That may have been what I should have done ..... taken a trip there and see about picking up supplies (as it is probably more plentiful there). Plus I could have had a good time watching all the people.

10 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

HP-38 is a satisfactory pistol powder - versatile and meters well.  Those who have tried reduced loads with it report poor results.  I use it in my 1911 loads.  It burns a little dirty and I need to strip and clean the pistol daily.  Once-fired 38 Special brass is available on auction sites for about a nickel a case.  You will probably have to buy new .45 Colt brass.  Many use Starline.

10 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

BT, that’s exactly what if doing tomorrow.  Saddling up and taking a day trip from the Detroit area….  It won’t be a bad drive.   I should time it right to see our Michigan contingent start shooting.  

with both ammo and components in short supply these days its hard to advise an immediate start but then its also hard not to urge you to get started as this all will pass eventually and you need to get your stuff set up for the future , all you were told above is excellent advise , look for used equipment thats in good shape - it does not need to be brand new state of the art to get you going and it will cost you a lot less , 

all of my reloaders are used ones that i set up to my specs and have been serving me well for over 15 years now , i bought one new set of dies years ago but everything else was used as folks either upgraded or divested , check the cowboy garage sales at the clubs you shoot at and the WTS adds here , take your time and plan each step so as not to end up with stuff you dont need or want later , we dont load so much as to need a full progressive , you can get by with a single stage if you enjoy the reloading process - it can be fun , 

BT, welcome to the game. Collect what you can, when you can and at prices YOU think are reasonable (at the time). If you're like most of us, you're in it for the long haul and will continue to collect and upgrade when your situation permits. If you shoot any amount, reloading will always pay off and it adds more to your hobby than just shooting. I shoot once or twice a month and that leaves MUCH time for other things; why not fill that time preparing to do the shooting? I'm always looking for new aspects of this hobby to get involved in. Sorry Mrs. Bearfoot, I believe the hook has been set... may as well join him Lol

Back around 1974 I acquired a .357 magnum Blackhawk and could not afford to shoot it.  I took the advice of a friend of the family and began to reload.  I have never looked back.  I still have and occasionally use the original Rock Chucker that I first bought along with a couple of different Dillon's. that I have added to the family of reloading machines. Times are beyond description  currently but I am optimistic that this too will pass.   Start small and through this site alone you can start a collection of parts and pieces that are needed. Bottom line you will save a ton of money over the years.  I believe the only thing I do not load for is my .22 LR and 5.7. Go ahead jump in, all of us who reload dare you to....

Cowboy action shooting is like a drug to an addict.  A "little" taste quickly leads to full-blown immersion!  If you like shooting in general, you'd probably benefit from reloading.  Reloading is like another whole hobby, but... it's benefits are two-fold.  1st, you actually save money after the initial investment in equipment.  Like any other investment, amortize that investment over several years and you'll find you're saving quite a bit of money.  Invest in a capacity well beyond your immediate needs and you'll be dollars ahead when you realize that your equipment has fallen behind your available time to reload.  But, if you're like most of us, that savings actually just turns into more ammo to shoot more.  Which is an added benefit in and of itself.

2ndly, reloading allows you to tailor your ammo to your guns, your shooting, your game.  Be that paper punching, ringing steel or hunting.

Welcome... to cowboy shooting, reloading and a whole new world.

Look on the classifieds section of the wire here. Someone is selling Trailboss at a decent price. Its bulk and shipped in a plastic bag for $50 a pound I think. As others have said primers are going to be the hardest to find. Check with some guys at your local club and you might find someone to sell you some at a fair price. 

12 hours ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

Thanks everyone.

I just picked up 2 bottles HP-38 Powder from Midway. That will get me going until I figure everything out.

I use HP-38/WW231 (identical) exclusively for 38 and 45 colt, mainly because that's what I've got the most of (everything else is rifle powder). It does burn dirty, but if you are around the min recommended starting charge by Hodgdon I've noticed it shoots well and consistent. I may have some 357/38 dies for you (RCBS). I will look when I get home if you're interested. Need to make sure they're a complete set first. Send me a PM if you're interested. 

JR

JR, Thanks for your input. I would like to get the velocities down a little from the starting loading data Hodgdons has for this powder and .38 spl 125 gr. bullet. Is it OK to test lower than starting grains ... maybe reducing by .2 grains at a time, and chronograph results. The Hodgdons Cowboy load data has it at 3.8 gr. for 876 FPS. I would like to get down around 640 FPS ... as that is what I have been shooting with the 125 gr. TCFP  Choice Ammunition that I really like the feel and performance. Or, should I consider a different powder to get my velocities down with that bullet?

SEE you people have already got me excited talking loads ... and I don't even have reloading equipment yet.

No worries my friend! 640FPS may be a bit low for that powder. You'll likely get significant blow-back due to the case not expanding in the chamber. It also depends on the length of the barrel you shoot. The testing equipment used is quite different than regular handguns. You likely wouldn't see 846 out of a 5.5 or 4.75 inch barrel with that load, but it won't be down to 640 either. Rule of thumb for reloading is decreasing by 10% and work your way up. 

Now, you can load as low as you like (I wouldn't recommend it) but there will be some dramatic changes to how the rounds perform. Some will fire just fine, others will almost just fall out of the barrel or even become a barrel obstruction. Case in point, I was experimenting with very low powered 45 colt with 231 and some of them shot great, others I could literally see going down range - that does not give one a warm and fuzzy feeling!

Short story long, stick with the 10% rule and work your way up. 

I have no experience with other powders for cowboy shooting so I will have to defer to those more in the know than I. 

1 hour ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

JR, Thanks for your input. I would like to get the velocities down a little from the starting loading data Hodgdons has for this powder and .38 spl 125 gr. bullet. Is it OK to test lower than starting grains ... maybe reducing by .2 grains at a time, and chronograph results. The Hodgdons Cowboy load data has it at 3.8 gr. for 876 FPS. I would like to get down around 640 FPS ... as that is what I have been shooting with the 125 gr. TCFP  Choice Ammunition that I really like the feel and performance. Or, should I consider a different powder to get my velocities down with that bullet?

SEE you people have already got me excited talking loads ... and I don't even have reloading equipment yet.

640 will probably not yield the best performance with regards to your pistol string times.

Phantom

If you are going light in .38 spl, it's hard to beat Hodgdon Clays powder (although Alliant Clay Dot does in my book, but not most loading manuals).  HP-38/231 will be a LOT dirtier at low velocites.  Clays loads will be accurate, can get to the low velocity range and have a mild report.

good luck, GJ

Be careful that you do not load to light a charge as you might have trouble with the primers not resetting and jamming your revolvers.

Archived