SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy jargon that is not understood.

In another thread, someone asked what "botas" are, and Palewolf provided an answer with pictures.   

But this got me to thinking that there are a lot of terms in the Handbook, or that we see mentioned here on the Wire a lot that a good number of shooters, especially newbies, might have no idea as to what they are. 

I can personally remember having no clue what "braces" were or what "slip hammering" was, aside from the fact that the latter was legal while fanning was not.  So, I asked here and learned that "braces" is just another term for "suspenders" and was given a good description of what "slip hammering" is.  (As I understood it, it's a technique that two handed shooters use where the trigger finger holds back the trigger while the thumb of the other hand cocks the hammer and then "slips" off of it to make the gun go bang.)

My point is that there seem to be a few commonly used terms that are not quite universally understood.

Believing that there is no such thing as a dumb question, I thought I'd throw this out there.   What are some terms that you read about here in SASSLand that you just don't know what they mean?   Here's a chance to get them defined.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rear sights? 

Embarrassed to admit it, but I find the term “round count scenario” confusing.  If the order of engagement is not shooter’s choice then it must be a “round count” stage, right?

3 hours ago, Dusty Boddems said:

Shady Brady

Ah yes.   That was one that had no meaning for me when I first saw it.   A few years ago I asked about here and a good explanation was given.   But I admit that I don't remember what it was beyond it being some specific kind of a cowboy hat with modern features.   Hopefully someone will explain.

I think of a Shady Brady as a 'curly' pre-distressed urban cowboy hat, as popularized by-- Shady Brady, the company.

If you look at their online catalogue, there appear to be quite a few that wouldn't raise any comment at a CAS match, though.

Modern feathered cowboy hats (Shady Bradys)

SHB p.4 - OUTLAWED ITEMS

That prohibition has been in the SHB for over 30 years & refers to a STYLE of hat with a distinctive type of hat band (as illustrated in Chief Rick's post)...NOT to all models sold by the hat company (as Red noted).

Petty's hats were made by Charlie One Horse (identifiable by the "horseshoe" brand)

7 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Embarrassed to admit it, but I find the term “round count scenario” confusing.  If the order of engagement is not shooter’s choice then it must be a “round count” stage, right?

That always gets me too.  I wish stage writers would just leave that out and provide a description of the scenario. 

I knew Shady Brady had been around since I joined in 1991 but in Texas it didn’t resonate.  I assumed it was a hat worn by folks in the personal entertainment business:D.  Maybe purple  zoot  style with a long feather. :blush: boy, was I wrong! 

Your local stage writer and the crew that works hard to put on those monthly matches might not find humor in that comment.

Just sayin'

I actually do run rounds into my berm to develop a skill. i'm not going to slip-hammer in competition again until I am reliable in actual practice.

And based on my performance at the last shoot (developing shotgun problem), I have been studying and will be doing some dry shotgun reloading practice. I'm leaving a lot of time running on the clock when I could be sending lead at a target.

But as I meant the comment, I do think many only shoot their cowboy guns at monthlies; between limited time, money, and now ammo limits, it is the best option many have.

I practice about 4 times a month...at these things they call monthlies...

I work on specific things...and never worry about misses.

Oh, and Slip hammering is not faster...somewhere in the mix you've got to bring your thumb up to position...either before the bang or after.

PS: When I was shooting two handed I slip hammered on every target...period...so...

Phantom

Hmmm.. if I only shoot monthlies, what am I practicing for? The next monthly? I agree with Jackalope, saying  shooting a monthly is just practice sounds a bit snobby to me. Monthly shoots are real shoots with real stages with real timers and real score sheets. It is the backbone of SASS. Might not want to belittle it too much.

Like many, I consider the monthly matches practice. Usually the only time I actually “practice” is the couple of weeks before our state match or other annuals. A Pard and I try to get together and practice some. Usually working on transitions. 

At my “home” club, and many of the clubs I regularly shoot at, about 1/2 of the shooters shoot 3+ times per month somewhere. The other 1/2 shoot just the one club, and that’s about it. For those shooters, when I’m TOing I try to remind myself this is not a practice session for them. I try to respect that and not say “it’s just a monthly”.  

4 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Hmmm.. if I only shoot monthlies, what am I practicing for? The next monthly? I agree with Jackalope, saying  shooting a monthly is just practice sounds a bit snobby to me. Monthly shoots are real shoots with real stages with real timers and real score sheets. It is the backbone of SASS. Might not want to belittle it too much.

How is it belittling them???

Oh...wait. Yer right! I've got to refocus on Monthlies so that I can win...uhhh...nothing. 

I've written stages for over a decade and I don't care if you or anyone else calls them Practice Matches...But then again I'm not overly sensitive.

Phantom

If you don't care, then why did you bother to answer?

2 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

If you don't care, then why did you bother to answer?

Whaaaaaat????

What a fascinating post...

Phantom

PS: You didn't answer my question...

Hey Phantom,

Like you, I've been authoring stages for a long time.  And, I don't think I'm particularly "sensitive", but...

I put in a fair amount of time trying to keep our stages interesting and I know the set up crew works hard hauling and arranging all the steel, the club officials, timer operators, etc. do their best to put on a quality match and the webmaster puts in a lot of time tabulating and posting the scores.  Maybe I am a little sensitive about it when someone whose total cowboy match experience amounts to perhaps 4 monthly matches makes a comment that completely dismisses the efforts by so many.

24 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

Hey Phantom,

Like you, I've been authoring stages for a long time.  And, I don't think I'm particularly "sensitive", but...

I put in a fair amount of time trying to keep our stages interesting and I know the set up crew works hard hauling and arranging all the steel, the club officials, timer operators, etc. do their best to put on a quality match and the webmaster puts in a lot of time tabulating and posting the scores.  Maybe I am a little sensitive about it when someone whose total cowboy match experience amounts to perhaps 4 monthly matches makes a comment that completely dismisses the efforts by so many.

I guess we disagree on the premise that considering Monthly Matches as simply Practice Matches is an insult or dismissive of the efforts put into the monthly matches.

I simply don't get the correlation here. Just because one considers Monthlies a "Practice" and doesn't care about how one places doesn't mean that they discount efforts...doesn't mean that they don't recognize the quality of the stages, etc...Please help me understand this...

Phantom

How did we get derailed from the OP constructive subject of  cowboy jargon to yet another interpersonal debate? 

Oh yeah, that's right.  It's the SASS Wire. 

Phantom has a point, a lot of folks don't care where they place in monthly matches and that's fine.  I guess it's a matter of perception.  I've always considered practice to be separate from competition, even if that competition is a monthly cowboy match where there are no prizes (unless you're in a beer bet with someone or the like).

I probably should have been more clear in my initial reply that the folks who put on the match might not find humor or credibility in the comparison of practice and a local monthly match when made by someone whose total cowboy shooting experience is about four matches.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

I did not know what "braces" meant, but from a very young age I knew about road apples, meadow muffins, prairie pancakes and buffalo chips.

Some facts I've learned from following the 'Wire...

-Sometimes "its just a fun game" and definitely NOT a competition until people refer to the fun game as 'practice' and then suddenly its a serious competition with serious people expending serious effort. 

-Someone is a gamer if they do certain things to increase their speed at the monthly game that isn't a match -  BUT - they are a savvy competitor if they do those very SAME things at the same fun event that is also a serious competition ran by serious shooters - BUT - only if they do them faster with a more heavily modified set of firearms.  

-You can somehow worry too much about wasting money on gun modifications instead of shooting but you can't really "compete" unless you've made those same gun modifications.

-CAS targets are always too far away and too small while being simultaneously too close and too big.

-'Black Pins' are never wrong except when they are.

-We need to expand the sport by making improvements but can't make improvements to the sport because it will chase people away.

I learn something on the Wire every day.

8 hours ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

No, it's just Phantom being himself.

And perhaps you didn't see the posts before mine...???

Scapegoats are very convenient for some...

Now the question of the day is: Is Scapegoat Cowboy Jargon?

Just remember that everything expressed here is someone's opinion.  Like everything else on the Internet, not all of it is correct or articulated accurately.  So who takes old information or wrong opinions off of the Internet?  Lately some, like Twitter or fb,  have appointed themselves as filters and have tried to do that; and they quickly became political propaganda sites.  So be thankful that the diversity of opinions is still welcome here and just learn to do your own filtering and take the bad with the good.  Obnoxious and narrow minded as some of it may seem, it is at least the real thing and not somebody's cherry picked program narrative or agenda.  

36 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

the question of the day is: Is Scapegoat Cowboy Jargon?

I'm not exactly sure what a scapegoat is, but if it can drop off meadow muffins or road apples, it would almost have to be cowboy jargon. 

:)

Archived