SASS Wire Forum

Botas?

Jaan

"Botas" also refers to leggings covering the lower leg from the knees down.

Botas were a half-legging especially favored by trappers and hunters in the Southwest, yet variations of them were worn by trappers and even some Indians all the way to the Canadian border.

They protected the lower legs of riders and men on foot from cactus, mesquite thorns, and heavy brush. They're also great for helping helping keep dirt and snow out of your moccasins. These botas could be highly decorated or left fairly plain.

SOURCE

Example:

botas wire.jpg

"BOOTS" are addressed separately in the Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl rules:

Boots are required and must be of traditional design with non-grip enhancing (i.e., NO “Lug”) soles.

SHB p.8

Like PaleWolf said, for Classic Cowboy purposes, botas are usually half chaps which count as one of the 5 items required.

C133B9C8-55E0-47C0-989D-6F1A226CE9FD.jpeg

I won Best Dressed Waddie at EOT 2016 dressed as a Bozeman Trail scout in 1879. I wore my buffalo scout jacket and buffalo Botas, it was over 100 degrees that day.

65F3F346-F5F4-4511-8BB4-3DC9041616BB.jpeg

22 hours ago, Jaan said:

I'm Portuguese, to me botas just means "boots". I shoot in the Classic Cowboy category.  Does it just mean flat soled boots or another style?

Thats the trouble with being bilingual I guess... if I say  “botas” in Spanish I think “bootsen ingles... 

if I say “botas” in English (phonetically boat-us... or bow-tuss) I think of leggings covering the lower leg from the knees down....

Archived