SASS Wire Forum

Any of y'all metal detect?

My house got flooded. A toilet supply line burst some time after I left for work the other day. It was still spewing out water when I got home about 12 or 13 hours later. In short, it got my metal detector. I may send it off for repair but may just replace it. What is your favorite detector and your likes and dislikes? Got one to sell?:o My current one is a whites spectra v3i. Kind of hard to operate if you're short on cents like myself.

My favorite detector is the BunkHouse Boss.

Everytime I get dime, she ends up finding it and goes on a spending spree.  If any of you ever

want to know how far a dime will go,  just give it to the Boss and find out... :o

I forgot to mention that she can also detect OLD love notes from girlfriends

that have gotten lost in my pockets..... :o

..........Widder

It sounds interesting, and my mother-in-law got me a detector some years back, but I decided I really DON'T need another hobby to add to the list,

I bet your Whites can be fixed, they are owned by Garrett now.  I have a Minelab Etrac and its a silver magnet but a little heavy to swing.  I guess if i were buying it would be the newer Minelab Equinox 800 which is lighter, has most if the etracs capability, and is completely waterproof.  Lots of new detectors out there and you pretty much get what you pay for.  Main thing is to use one and learn it.  Odds are youll wind up with more than one.

My bride uses a MineLab V10.
We did the research, it is a good mid to upper-mid model.
Here in the PRK, there are few places (so far) to ply her hobby.

Sorry to hear about the pipe!! I’ve been dealing with the aftermath of a hot water pipe that spewed in the wall for a few days (maybe longer)!! It’s been fun! Good luck on the detector, the only detecting I do is to figure out why there are so many holes in those steel targets!!

TB

I would like a Minelab. 

I've gotten more gold with a pan or a dry washer than the detector I had. I wouldn't mind another one, probably a more expensive unit.

What ever you get you have to practice. That means burying gold, silver, pull tabs, coins, jewelry, washers, bolts, nuts, ect. Then using the detector to observe how it behaves when you pass the head over them. Vary the depth, type of earth and so on. Once you get a feel for it have your spouse or a friend bury the objects without you knowing what was buried. Use the detector to determine what's there before you dig.

Several days of practice will improve your results dramatically.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What ever you get you have to practice. That means burying gold, silver, pull tabs, coins, jewelry, washers, bolts, nuts, ect. Then using the detector to observe how it behaves when you pass the head over them. Vary the depth, type of earth and so on. Once you get a feel for it have your spouse or a friend bury the objects with you knowing what was buried. Use the detector to determine what's there before you dig.

Several days of practice will improve your results dramatically.

No detector will do it all so tailor your choices.   The Minelab Etrac has kicked butt in the parks for overlooked silver but it is next to worthless in watery situations.  The Equinox is evidently very good at all these plus relics.

Practice also means digging up every target in the beginning and learn from it.    However, when in doubt dig it.

Nobody move! I think I found Bob's P38.:lol:

Mine detector.jpg

Archived