SASS Wire Forum

shaving

Highwall

My dad like many here had a huge influence on my life growing up. He got me started with a single shot 22 rifle, a single shot 12 gauge shotgun, a S&W .22 kit gun revolver and even shaving my face at age 14 since I showed some early stubble. I've always retained my chin whiskers. He was a WWII Marine veteran and definitely had his certain ways. He used a straight razor with a badger brush, cake soap and a mug. He had a strop in the garage to keep the razor sharp. Sadly I was just not into it back then and went with the safety razor and Barbasol  but now at age 70 I find myself using the straight razor, Wool Fat cake soap, Synthetic brush and a Frendrihan bowl along with the original Eau de Cologne No. 4711. I must say it's a wonderful experience. :D

I've done all of it. For many years I made it a point to use a straight razor at least twice a week. Did my own shapening and stroping. I collected razors of all types. I still have a good double edge collection and use them often. I wouldn't even consider using anything other than a badger brush and I prefer Italian shave soaps and creams. The Japanese blades are the sharpest. So after all of that, NOTHING shaves BETTER than the new 5 blade safety razors, NOTHING.

7 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

To me, shaving is a chore, not a hobby. To each his own. 

Agreed! but if it needs to be done try to find the best way to do it! 

I once grew out my beard for 6 months. My wife hated it and my dog disowned me. :lol:

"NOTHING shaves BETTER than the new 5 blade safety razors, NOTHING."

Okay then! I will give it  try! :mellow:

18 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

To me, shaving is a chore, not a hobby. To each his own. 

My barber of 30 years is turning the shop over to his daughter and she is easy on the eyes and a great conversationalist and when Mrs. Lose starts making noise about my unkept beard I pay my new barber a call. About every 6 weeks is about right, thanks for reminding me. I dislike shaving.

I have never tried a straight razor. I probably never will. I used to use regular old twin blade razors with the disposable heads. When you mentioned 5 blade razors I thought you were kidding until I looked them up online. :lol:

I switched to an electric razor 30 years ago. Even when I grow a beard I trim with an electric razor. The best electric razor I have found is the Braun 5 series. They are now at #9. I have a series 8 but mods and updates don’t mean “better”. 

51 minutes ago, Highwall said:

"NOTHING shaves BETTER than the new 5 blade safety razors, NOTHING."

Okay then! I will give it  try! :mellow:

I disagree.   My usual routine uses 3 de razors, a different one for each pass.  They do a far better job than any of the 3 or 5 blade razors.   Maggard Slant for the first wtg pass, easily removes a weeks growth with no tugging or pulling.  Second pass with a Rockwell 6s xtg, final pass is atg with a bbs razor.  Highly recommend the Maggard slant as a first pass razor.  Put a nice Gillette silver blue or feather blade and it will mow through whiskers that will clog a 5 blade razor.  

I have my Dad's brand new Sears straight razor... he never used the new one.
I'm not brave enough to subject my face to it...

However I do have his old Remington electric, and his old double blade safety razor.
Both are older than dirt...
I use the electric first, then the blade when I need a close shave for date night.
Much less pain if electric goes first.

I still have his badger brush and cup cake soap.
They are a zillion years old, also.

My dad gave me my first razor in 1966. It was one of those Gillette safety razors where you dropped a two-edged blade under clamshell doors. Old blades were disposed of in a slot in the back of the medicine cabinet. 

I never thought shaving would become this complicated or evolve into an art form of personal expression.

I've tried everything under the sun.

I gave up on  a straight razor six yers ago when my hands started doing their own thing and I was afraid I was going to get so shaky that I would do myself some real harm. I've been using a three blade, but am about out of blades and may switch to a five blade.

I discovered Colonel Ichabod Conk's glycerine cake soap and use it almost exclusively .  I also have a good badger brush and a professional barbershop hard green rubber shaving cup.  If I need a quick touch up I break out the Barbasol with aloe.  Maybe once a week or so, but I also take the Barbasol on road trips.

Since the covid crap hit I only shave two or three times a week.

I use an electric razor to shape my mustache about once a month.

i shave as infrequently as possible anymore , i did it regularly back when with a safety razor and yes on occasion with a straight razor , but anymore with my electric in the couple places i like to keep neat - beard trimmer as needed ......................its the haircutting i still have an issue with - before anyone says it - yes im thinning and loosing it so may not be as big an issue soon , 

I use a Gillette 5 blade razor and sometimes an electric razor. I only shave my neck and cheeks. I’ve had a beard for 30 + years. I trim it down with a Wahl beard trimmer. I’ve hated shaving since day one!

After I got out of the military I decided to not shave every day ever again. But I do wet shave with with a safety razor (with japanese blades), mug and badger brush twice a week. And to counter Snakebite I do not believe I can get a better shave with anything else except perhaps a straight razor, which I have but haven't tried yet. Used all kinds of the disposable "razors" and they all come up short IMHO. 

I find a hidden pleasure in life is to go without shaving for about 4-5 days then go to a good barber and have him/her do it with  straight razor followed by a good quality bay rum.

Normally I use one of those five blade safety razors.  I don't trust myself with a straight razor, I bleed too easily!

Some of you guys seem to spend a long time in the bathroom. I use a lectric shaver. Fast and done. And even quicker since I grew out the Covibeard.

on a related note, how about this scruffy 3 day whisker look that’s popular with the youngsters. I dunno, maybe the ladies think it’s sexy but seriously, it just makes you look homeless.

What is this "shaving" you speak of.  I recall scraping my face years ago but stopped in the early 80s.  I have maintained a moustache since 74.  My children do not know what I look like without facial hair and they are all grown.  As a surprise once, about 15 years ago, I used a hair clipper and did remove my beard.  When I came out of the bathroom and showed my attending family, my wife gasped and my oldest daughter said to put it back on.  Wife also said it covers up my jowls.  How rude.  Nice thing is I don't worry about sunburn or getting cold in the winter.

I'm too much of a klutz to shave with a straight razor but I've been shaving with various Gillette safety razors and double edge blades for about 15 years. I've gone pretty much exclusively to only Feather brand blades, which are supposed to be the sharpest blades made, and a Gillette Red Tip from somewhere in the 1950's. I have a custom made silver tip badger brush that I've had for almost that long and I use various shave creams from tubes and jars and shave soaps from Mama Bear Soaps. And I do love a good Bay Rum aftershave...

I've not been clean shaven since 1970, the year my senior high school picture was taken!  I once liked to shave, but I'd have a mild rash in places quite often.  Went to a doctor that specialized in skin problems and he first told me that I wasn't shaving properly.  I demonstrated my technique in his office, after which, he decided that it wasn't how i shaved but the equipment. I switched to a straight razor and got the same results, at which time he declared that I had sensitive skin and would likely have the problem forever!

The summer before my senior year, they changed the dress code at our schools and when I reported for class in the fall, I had full facial hair. I did trim it and sometimes even "sculpted" it.  Schoolmarm has never seen my bare face!  My family has forgotten what I looked like without a beard, (I do have some pics) and nobody has a clue what's under the beard!!

If I ever decide to disappear, I'll shave and cut my hair and ride off into the sunset somewhere!!  <_<  :lol:

I love my Gillette DE razors with a Col Conk Badger brush. Sadly Crabtree & Evelyn quit carrying their shaving pucks a few years ago and I am about down to my last one. I do like mama Bear's soaps too. And i use Pinaud's aftershave, get it at a beauty supply store, it's the old barber shop stuff!

On 6/23/2021 at 7:08 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I've not been clean shaven since 1970, the year my senior high school picture was taken!  I once liked to shave, but I'd have a mild rash in places quite often.  Went to a doctor that specialized in skin problems and he first told me that I wasn't shaving properly.  I demonstrated my technique in his office, after which, he decided that it wasn't how i shaved but the equipment. I switched to a straight razor and got the same results, at which time he declared that I had sensitive skin and would likely have the problem forever!

The summer before my senior year, they changed the dress code at our schools and when I reported for class in the fall, I had full facial hair. I did trim it and sometimes even "sculpted" it.  Schoolmarm has never seen my bare face!  My family has forgotten what I looked like without a beard, (I do have some pics) and nobody has a clue what's under the beard!!

If I ever decide to disappear, I'll shave and cut my hair and ride off into the sunset somewhere!!  <_<  :lol:

Sorry Blackwater but with all those listed interests Google search would locate you in a New York minute! When I shaved off my beard my grandson screamed and would have dialed 911 if he knew how but he was only two. 

So much time in the spotlight looking like I do, it would be like a makeup artist had worked me over!!  A nice, quiet slip into total obscurity wouldn’t be that hard, I do believe..

I've worn a 'stach since the early '70's. Beard's too spotty to try to grow out. I started with a Shick DE razor at age 17. Went the Atra type and various copies there of. Once they teched up the multi-bladed type and the prices increased accordingly, I went back to a DE razor. I can get eight blades in a package for a lot less than some of these newer multi-bladed wonder razors. Blades are Israeli made, razor is made in India. I use Barbasol sensitive type and it works well for me. I'm on low-dose aspirin and the generic form of Pletal for circulation so getting cut/injured isn't on my list of favorite things to do. Any nick/cut looks like it'e six times worse than it is.:blink::rolleyes::blush:

On 6/23/2021 at 8:07 PM, DeaconKC said:

I love my Gillette DE razors with a Col Conk Badger brush. Sadly Crabtree & Evelyn quit carrying their shaving pucks a few years ago and I am about down to my last one. I do like mama Bear's soaps too. And i use Pinaud's aftershave, get it at a beauty supply store, it's the old barber shop stuff!

I buy my Conk's from Amazon about five cakes at a time.  That's about a four year supply.

No clue where I got my brush, but it was likely at the Exchange at Seal Beach before 1978.  A good brush will last almost forever.

40 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I buy my Conk's from Amazon about five cakes at a time.  That's about a four year supply.

No clue where I got my brush, but it was likely at the Exchange at Seal Beach before 1978.  A good brush will last almost forever.

I guess my first brush wasn’t that good. It got really thin after 50+ years. Got a new one on Amazon. I use that gel stuff in a can that foams up as you work it (sensitive skin formula). A 5 blade Gillette has been my favorite for several years now. I believe the extra flat plane of the 5 blade design reduces nicking. Hardly ever have a nick now. Good thing too as I like many have blood thinners as a maintenance med.

CJ

I started shaving around 1969.  Like my dad, I was using a Gillete safety razor with the old Gillete Blue Blades.  I remember what a big deal it was when stainless steel razor blades came out.  I grew the moustache you see on my avatar back in 1975.    Working in an office the moustache was probably all I could get away with.  Having the moustache definitely helps with my SASS and chili cooking persona, so I have no plans to ever shave it off.

Now that I'm retired I shave 2 days a week tops.  

Howdy,

No big fuss.

Ive shaved this way and that way and not at all for a while.

Lately a couple minnits with lectric and its good nuf.

different strokes.

Best

CR

Archived