SASS Wire Forum

Steel Targets

Buckshot Bear

Our club has just started this discipline. We shoot ISSF (Olympic style pistol bullseye) Black Powder, IPSC, Service Pistol and now Single Action.

I have asked a local engineering firm for a quote for 5 x 500mm square steel, 5 x 500mm round steel and 4 shotgun sized targets. They will be 10mm thick and AR450 

I have looked at countless photos trying to work out how you hang them. I can see the stands that you weld up and can follow how they work, what has me beat is how you hang them on the stand and how you get the 15° degree slant. There's no photos that I have been able to see showing in detail this critical piece of information.

If anyone could be so kind to take some photos next time they are out at their range, it would be really appreciated. 

Most have a hole near the top so that a hanger can be bolted on. Some people have the hanger welded on but you don't want to do this as it prevents the target being reversed.

Targets made of AR steel will deform by cupping over time. To extend the life of the target they need to be reversed every few months. Unlike mild steel targets you cannot flatten them with a hydraulic press.

Examples 

T-Post Angled Target Hanger For AR500 Targets Great Way To Mount Gongs -  Superior Ideas, Inc

Amazon.com : Highwild 2x4 Target Hanger, Target Mount Bracket - for AR500  Steel Targets - 1 Pack : Sports & Outdoors

The below is common around here but the target stand needs to have some method of preventing the target from pivoting on the post or hook this is slipped over and turning sideways to the firing line .

2x2 Steel AR500 A36 Target Hanger Kit for target stands | eBay

I have built hundreds of targets and stands for various clubs.

The stand has a built in angle so when the target hangers is placed on the stand the target plate hangs with a top leaning towards the shooter and the bottom leaning away.

I have a web site with targets and stand should drawing on how they were built.

These are from several years ago and there are people who made changes over time to these.

You are welcome to use what you want and make any changes you like.

[url]http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/SteelStable/CHtrgts.htm[url]

3 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I have built hundreds of targets and stands for various clubs.

The stand has a built in angle so when the target hangers is placed on the stand the target plate hangs with a top leaning towards the shooter and the bottom leaning away.

I have a web site with targets and stand should drawing on how they were built.

These are from several years ago and there are people who made changes over time to these.

You are welcome to use what you want and make any changes you like.

[url]http://www.cliffhangershideout.com/SteelStable/CHtrgts.htm[/img]

Links aren't working...

Just cut and paste www.cliffhangershideout.com and go from there.

Phantom

As Cliff Hanger noted in a couple of his drawings, rebar causes a lot of splatter to be directed back towards the firing line. If you have to use it, do so in places where it behind the plane of the target face.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

As Cliff Hanger noted in a couple of his drawings, rebar causes a lot of splatter to be directed back towards the firing line. If you have to use it, do so in places where it behind the plane of the target face.

Thanks, our State Firearms Registry (who regulates our range) is against (not banned just against) the use of rebar because of that.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Actually, it's not that rebar directs splatter back towards the firing line, but rather because of it's irregular surface, it displaces splatter in random directions.

The primary element that you want in designing targets is consistency. Once you know where the spatter is going you can control it. 

Phantom

Lever Jim.

Damion Faith built these stands and target for the Mareeba Cowboys when he was in the up north.

I came and shot the nationals there in 1997 and was surprised to see my target stands and hangers on the range.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

Lever Jim.

Damion Faith built these stands and target for the Mareeba Cowboys when he was in the up north.

I came and shot the nationals there in 1997 and was surprised to see my target stands and hangers on the range.

That's so cool Cliff Hangar!!!

Archived