SASS Wire Forum

Ballistic eye protection

Buckshot Bear

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've been pleased with Wiley X.

Phantom

Thanks Phantom a quick Google and they are available in Australia -
https://www.wileyxaustralia.com.au/?cmp_id=11171165483&adg_id=112538288394&kwd=wiley x&device=c&gclid=CjwKCAjw8cCGBhB6EiwAgORey2AHT4lLJVel52O3ZtM0vSu87HmWVsszDyrAOfWzpf6g69q_ImJLARoCRzYQAvD_BwE

Appreciated

I don't often agree with Phantom.  So when I do you know I mean it. :D Wiley X is awesome.  They're especially great if you wear prescription glasses.  They'll custom grind safety glasses to your prescription. 

Just now, Shooting Bull said:

I don't often agree with Phantom.  So when I do you know I mean it. :D Wiley X is awesome.  They're especially great if you wear prescription glasses.  They'll custom grind safety glasses to your prescription. 

It warms me heart to know that you don't often agree with me...

:P

5 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

That's good to know because my wife wears prescription glasses for shooting.

I don't know what the rating system is in Oz, but you can get prescription glasses made with industrial rated protection. And as been said, Wiley-X is good plus Oakley and Gargoyles also make safety grade glasses.

1 minute ago, DeaconKC said:

I don't know what the rating system is in Oz, but you can get prescription glasses made with industrial rated protection. And as been said, Wiley-X is good plus Oakley and Gargoyles also make safety grade glasses.

From what I've read its ANSI Z87.1+  and that little + sign is the important part that makes them ballistic impact glasses compared to just work/jobsite safety glasses.

Wiley-X saved my left eye from a near complete .45 Colt bullet that came straight back off a target, over the shooter's shoulder and smacked me right in the eye. The plastic distorted and stopped it, but I had a shiner and the side of my face was swollen up for a couple days.

Ya know, every dang thing that's happened to me has been on the left side... left foot broken in seven places 25+ years ago, touch of gout in left foot recently, left eye swollen shut a couple years ago from a tissue infection (not once, but twice a couple months apart), the aforementioned bullet to left eye a few years ago, "extensive clotting" in left femoral artery last year, retinal tear in left eye a couple months ago... weird.

46 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Wiley-X saved my left eye from a near complete .45 Colt bullet that came straight back off a target, over the shooter's shoulder and smacked me right in the eye. The plastic distorted and stopped it, but I had a shiner and the side of my face was swollen up for a couple days.

Ya know, every dang thing that's happened to me has been on the left side... left foot broken in seven places 25+ years ago, touch of gout in left foot recently, left eye swollen shut a couple years ago from a tissue infection (not once, but twice a couple months apart), the aforementioned bullet to left eye a few years ago, "extensive clotting" in left femoral artery last year, retinal tear in left eye a couple months ago... weird.

Well that's a great outcome and also a terrific recommendation and lucky you were wearing good quality glasses.

Been wearing Wiley-X glasses of some sort or another for well over a decade.  My current work and shooting glasses (prescription) are Wiley-X.  Several frame styles to choose from.

My two pair are rose, not because that's what I wanted, but because Sportsman's Warehouse couldn't sell them and put them on sale. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

My two pair are rose, not because that's what I wanted, but because Sportsman's Warehouse couldn't sell them and put them on sale. :lol:

LOL that cracked me a smile :)

2 hours ago, Lever Jim said:

Do you all have a preference for a colour of your lens? I've always used amber (yellow) for my shooting glasses before.

I can’t wear amber in full sunlight. I usually wear rose colored glasses, they show only the beauty ‘cause they hide all the truth!

Randy

On 6/21/2021 at 8:49 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've been pleased with Wiley X.

Phantom

Can you suggest a model to look at?

1 hour ago, Cemetery said:

Can you suggest a model to look at?

Model will depend on your face shape and size, among other things. You really need to try them on.

I'll add my $12. We had a 45 round bounce ricochet  and hit a shooter square in the forehead. 3 stitches, black and swollen eye. But here's the kicker, he was wearing regular sunglasses!!!!!! Luck doesn't describe it.

We're now going to do an eye protection safety check before each shoot. No big deal but.....

On 6/21/2021 at 8:57 PM, Shooting Bull said:

Did you need a different grind from your regular glasses for the ballistics? I find if I wear my regular glasses and try to shoot, I can't seem to get a good focus without some serious head cranking! I'm in need of new glasses now and hope to take my guns with me and get a script for both. What's the basic price range Wiley's?

33 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Did you need a different grind from your regular glasses for the ballistics? I find if I wear my regular glasses and try to shoot, I can't seem to get a good focus without some serious head cranking! I'm in need of new glasses now and hope to take my guns with me and get a script for both. What's the basic price range Wiley's?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that.  I just get my eyes checked and buy what my doc tells me to buy.  Thankfully he's a shooter so he set the focus for my shooting glasses to pistol front sight range.  Hasn't helped me shoot better but I can clearly see the front sight is off the target when I pull the trigger. :P

I recently had cataracts removed. Now I need reading only I found these, ballistic safety and 2x diopter for reading $9. Winner all around.

Crews BKH20 BearKat Magnifier Polycarbonate 2.0 Diopter Clear Lens Safety Glasses with Non-Slip Hybrid Black Temple Sleeve, 1 Pair

My prescriptions are different for shooting 

I shoot right handed. With my shooting eyes, the focal point on my right eye is pulled back to my sights. 

The other eye is set out for longer distances.

On my non-shooting eyes, both eyes are set out.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I have a different prescription for my regular glasses (Wiley-X Nemo frames) than I do for my glasses that I shoot in (Wiley-X Nash frames).

My regular glasses are lined bifocals.  My shooting glasses have an intermediate reading prescription.  I can actually see my front sights very clearly and even a distance up to about 15 feet.  Beyond that it starts to get blurry, but not to the point that it's too distracting.  Last weekend I wore those glasses during the entire match.

Talk to your eye doctor and tell him what you are looking for.

• 1 month later...

I need to order some for our club for spectators.

What do these Allen brand ones  look like? They are quite cheap and say ANSI Z87+ rated 

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Reaction-Shooting-Glasses-Rated/dp/B000LC6588/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Bummer they won't ship to Oz :(

Wiley x’s are great, as you can tell from the other posts. When I was a Naval aircrew man, a lot of guys would fly with those or Gatorz. I personally like Liquid eyewear. Liquids are all one piece so they don’t fold like regular glasses, so they are very secure to the face. Their transition lenses are very nice too. I’ve worked with a few SEALs that wore liquids. 

They weren’t quite designed for competition, mind you, but the ballistic protection, sun and wind protection are top notch. 

Well you've convinced me on the Wiley X..I've just ordered the  Saber clear.'.bout time I had better protection as I've only been wearing cheap safety glasses .

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Bummer they won't ship to Oz :(

Try this one. Listed on the Amazon.AU site.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Honeywell-S535-Replacement-Ultra-dura-Anti-Scratch/dp/B000RMKMBI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=7QZXADXIUWNJ&dchild=1&keywords=ballistic+eye+protection+military&qid=1627732887&sprefix=ballistic+eye+protection+military%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-3

I searched for "ballistic eye protection military" on amazon.com.au

Archived