SASS Wire Forum

OT: synthetic stock recommendations for a pre-64 Model 70 .30-06?

I finally, after 20 years of trying, drew a trophy eastern Oregon elk tag for this fall. The rifle that I want to take on this hunt is my wife's granddad's model 70 .30-06, which I believe was made in 1947 or somewhen thereabouts and is more accurate than I am :D  In order to keep the original wood stock in as good shape as possible I am thinking that it might behoove me to put an aftermarket synthetic stock on  this rifle in place of the wood. It's been quite a while since I restocked a rifle (put a Bell & Carlson on a Ruger .300 mag in 1991) so I am looking for recommendations for a good, best bang for the buck (less than $500 if possible) aftermarket stock for this workhorse. Help?

Thanks!

PS Website links would be very much appreciated!

You are aware that changing the stock at change the accuracy of the rifle, right?

I would consider Boyd’s Gunstocks for what you are planning. They are good stocks and reasonably priced. 

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

Charlie, you already done good once!  ^_^

A bunch of years ago I wanted to "sporterize" a Yugoslavian Mauser.  Researched, looked at, talked to other shooters, fondled and shot a few other folks rifles, and decided synthetic was the way to go - less "fitting" than with a wooden stock, and impervious to the elements.

Finally, like you, I settled on a Bell and Carlson, and I've been more than happy with it.  At about three hundred bucks they're not cheap, but still well under your ceiling of $500!

Bell and Carlson

[Removed all military hardware, modified with Model 70 style bolt handle, Timney trigger, Buehler safety, Buehler 2-piece mounts and rings with Weaver K4-W* scope, and "Parkerized" type finish.]

Mauser with Bell and Carlson

MauserClosed.jpg.9b3dd4b3430d50ef1239ec5f9f022370.jpg

MauserClose.thumb.jpg.c6cf135380bb7f699674f18283de411b.jpg

My son put a Boyd's wooden stock on a Mosin-Nagant.  It's a decent stock, and cost significantly less than the Bell and Carlson.  (See Pat's link above) 

[Model 70 style bolt handle, Timney trigger, drilled and tapped for Weaver scope mount, Weaver K4-W* scope, Cerakote finish]

*We do like those old, heavy, rugged, steel-tubed scopes!  :)

Mosin with Boyd's Stock

598493749_Mosinwscope2a.thumb.jpg.838a86267312c7aa4ed7dc17c1862095.jpg

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You are aware that changing the stock at change the accuracy of the rifle, right?

Yep. But I have time to resight, etc. if I need to...

Thanks, folks!

Just a different thought.  Many years ago (before I had any "hunting" rifles of my own), I borrowed one from a trusting friend.  It had a pretty stock with a shiny finish.  Fearing putting any scratches on it, I bought a roll of tape meant for covering guns.  Looked kind of like camouflage duct tape, but had a different feel than duct tape, and an adhesive that came off the gun without leaving any goo on it.  It isn't going to protect the stock if you drop it onto the rocks, but it prevented any scratches and minor issues that would have left marks on the nice finish.

That year I came away with an unfilled tag, sadly.  But it was worth it all when I showed him the gun with the tape on it. You shoulda seen his face, he kinda freaked before I showed him what I had used.  He thought it was duct tape and was about to strangle me!  Once I showed him what it was, he appreciated it.

On 6/21/2021 at 4:28 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

The rifle was intended to be a hunter with the stock it came with.

There is always that. After further review I'm kind of leaning that way.

Archived