SASS Wire Forum

Ain't Nature Grand

Subdeacon Joe

In the hushed tones of a nature documentary narration,  

"Here we catch a rare glimpse of the wild locomotive resting in its natural habitat."

This,  I  think,  is somewhere in the Tehachapis.

FB_IMG_1624237687434.jpg

BNSF used to do some repairs in the Springfield yards, but no longer.  I think Montana is where the diesel hospital is located these days.

Hope you are feeling better soon, #6920.

Saw an older minivan the other day. It's hard to keep warm sometimes when your old so it took matters into its own hands. Was plenty warm in just a couple minutes.

IMG_20210609_153749381.jpg

14 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In the hushed tones of a nature documentary narration,  

"Here we catch a rare glimpse of the wild locomotive resting in its natural habitat."

This,  I  think,  is somewhere in the Tehachapis.

FB_IMG_1624237687434.jpg

WOW, that's best super detailing I ever saw.  Except for the three rail tracks I would have taken it for the real thing.  :blink:

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

WOW, that's best super detailing I ever saw.  Except for the three rail tracks I would have taken it for the real thing.  :blink:

May 2020 Techachapi Loop (Satellite)

Of the several posts I saw, this one had the most meaningful comments. (One post had about 250 comments, many of them about the locomotive taking a nap.)
Tehachapi Live Train Cams posted eight photos with the comment: "Thank you Brett for these amazing closeups of yesterday’s CIiff derailment!"

Great information from Brett who visited the Cliff derail site today (Wednesday May 13). Thanks Brett!
“So not too much action at derail site. Talked to a guy working and he said all the containers were empty when train string lined. Train was stopped in siding and when it took off it was over powered by engineer.
He said possibly this Friday they might use side boom cranes to try and move locomotive. Said crane was gonna be super expensive and difficult to setup.
They had picked up a few pieces since the other day.”

[To summarize some comments, this was the last of the four locomotives pulling the train. The three leading locos remained upright, so no one was hurt. It may have had a DPU that wasn't keeping up.]

Great shot of eagles flying the gorge well below the track level.  Look at about 50 seconds near the bottom.

The Tehachapi Loop should qualify as one of the modern wonders of the world.  If you are into trains, tunnels, engineering feats, or just amazing sights you should go visit.  It's been years since I went up and the roads were not very good. May have improved since then, but I don't see much change.

I wanted to ride the train going both way so you could see the train goin over itself one way and under itself going the other.

Thanks, Joe.  That was a real trip, figuratively AND actually.

A

Archived