SASS Wire Forum

First time tumbling brass

Lucky Bastard

I vibrate brass for 30-45 minutes while I walk the dog.  Clean enough for me.

Used dryer sheet, and a cap of paint thinner.  The thinner reduces the time to get the brass clean of all powder soot.

good luck, GJ

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Make sure you breath in all the dust...it's great for your lungs.

Well, only an <you can insert your own description> would work with dry brass cleaning techniques in a closed room/garage.  Work this outside.  Take the same precautions with cleaning as you would with a shooting range - outside, or really good ventilation system.

That's also a reason the dryer sheet goes in the bowl.   

good luck, GJ

2 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Well, only an <you can insert your own description> would work with dry brass cleaning techniques in a closed room/garage.  Work this outside.  Take the same precautions with cleaning as you would with a shooting range - outside, or really good ventilation system.

That's also a reason the dryer sheet goes in the bowl.   

good luck, GJ

Yer right...dry tumbling is spectacularly wonderful!!!

Good lord...

:wacko:

17 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Make sure you breath in all the dust...it's great for your lungs.

Or...wet tumble.

Phantom

No real dust. I wiped the bench down. I was surprised. I did add some polish to it.

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Good lord...

It's quick and easy. Clean brass and right to the loading bench. No drying required.  I also use an ultrasonic for the bad stuff but most is dry tumbled. 

Time reauired depends on what you want the brass to look like.  Tumling about 30 minutes in media and a bit of some type of cleaner/polish will get it good to go.  If you want it slick and good shine run 2 to 3 hours.  

Blackfoot

I usually run mine about 6 hours, drier sheets, squirt of nu finish and teaspoon of mineral spirits...comes out spectacularly wonderful for me . Guess some folks cant help but stick their face down in it and sniff real hard-same ones who ate paint chips I reckon...ya get what ya get.

30 minutes ago, Lunger Dan said:

I usually run mine about 6 hours, drier sheets, squirt of nu finish and teaspoon of mineral spirits...comes out spectacularly wonderful for me . Guess some folks cant help but stick their face down in it and sniff real hard-same ones who ate paint chips I reckon...ya get what ya get.

Tide pods. Gotcha 

10 hours ago, Lucky Bastard said:

No real dust. I wiped the bench down. I was surprised. I did add some polish to it.

Dust will increase as you continue to use the tumbling media.  The tumbling media will slowly break down and powder residue, corrosion and dirt from the brass will all contribute dust.  The dryer sheets help control dust buildup.

I dry tumble 4 hours to get really bright brass

2 dryer sheets and lid on my machine keeps the dust down just fine

I found a local feed store that has ground corn cob for a third the price gun shops sell it

I'm still using a Lyman dry tumbler I got over 20 years ago.  It is the one with a slotted top to use for draining the media.  Not only did that method of media draining suck, it allowed lots of dust to escape when tumbling.  I just took a plastic dinner plate, cut a hole in the middle, and now have a solid top and no more dust while running.  I use a Dillon media separator outside after tumbling.

Lots of good stuff above. I have been using dry media (crushed walnut hulls) since ‘82. Cut up a couple dryer sheets into four pieces each, put in about four hundred cases of ‘38, top on snug, come back in two hours or so (longer if you forget), take cleaner outside/downwind, dump everything into separator, put media back into cleaner, brass into container to be reloaded, done. As I have gotten older I now use a mask (sometimes) since I have plenty of them and toss the media about every 3-4 thousand cases. Could probably use it longer but time to clean starts to get excessive (3-4 hours) so why bother. 
plenty clean for this game. 
YMMV

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I don't particularly care if my brass looks "new" or not.  I just want it ready to reload.  In my sordid, uneducated pass, when shooting that heathen fad smokeless stuff, I ran my Dillon Tumbler (dry) with Lizard Litter (walnut media) for about 2 hours.  Since becoming enlightened, after washing and drying my brass I run the Dillon for about an hour with some polish and a dryer sheet.  Easy Peasy.

i generally tumble outside in the garage and have no intent to breath the dust - the dryer sheets do help , i tumble till clean but , you sometimes get those pesky black shooters brass back mixed in with your returns , they take a bit longer and often wont come completely clean , if they bother you just offer them to one of your black powder friends , they have never been an issue to me - if its clean i reload and shoot it dont have to shine for me , 

On 6/20/2021 at 10:56 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Good lord...

Because when you wet tumble, all of the bad stuff magically goes away... 

He IS good... and it's Lord! ;)

6 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Because when you wet tumble, all of the bad stuff magically goes away... 

He IS good... and it's Lord! ;)

No...it doesn't just go away...but it isn't dispersed like it is in dry tumbling.

But I guess I should just keep my mouth shut so that folks don't think that I give a Rat's A$$.

;)

Done!

10 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No...it doesn't just go away...but it isn't dispersed like it is in dry tumbling.

But I guess I should just keep my mouth shut so that folks don't think that I give a Rat's A$$.

;)

Done!

Oh, we know you give a rip, it's just the WAY you care. :D

If you can't take the care to avoid lead dust from a tumbler, ya got no business reloadin' in the first place.

11 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Oh, we know you give a rip, it's just the WAY you care. :D

If you can't take the care to avoid lead dust from a tumbler, ya got no business reloadin' in the first place.

That's funny...I can say the same thing about a lot of things...but yet humans still do stoopid human tricks...care to have a drink and then drive home?

Tumbling sucks regardless of whether it's dry or wet. Anyone that finds joy in tumbling brass is someone that I don't care to know. But I don't think that those that dry tumble take all the precautions necessary to minimize the fullest extent their exposure to the dust generated by dry tumbling...even those that beat their chests here on the Wire that they do.

Phantom

48 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's funny...I can say the same thing about a lot of things...but yet humans still do stoopid human tricks...care to have a drink and then drive home?

Tumbling sucks regardless of whether it's dry or wet. Anyone that finds joy in tumbling brass is someone that I don't care to know. But I don't think that those that dry tumble take all the precautions necessary to minimize the fullest extent their exposure to the dust generated by dry tumbling...even those that beat their chests here on the Wire that they do.

Phantom

Yer right...I'm wrong. :blink:

I wash/agitate my brass in a 50/50 mix of simple green. Then put in an old dehydrator for 1/2 hour or so until dry. Then run in the tumbler with corn cob, polish and dryer sheet cut in 4 for another 1/2 hour. Nice and clean and shiny. The simple green gets rid of the debris and cuts down on dust a lot and the drier sheets pick up the rest. I do put on a COVID mask when I dump it out of the tumbler to be on the safe side and get very little dust. My yearly lead tests keep coming back quite low according to the Doc.

I'm cleaning about 5000 cases a year and the media and simple green are changed out yearly.

On 6/21/2021 at 9:38 AM, Dirty Dog Doug said:

I dry tumble 4 hours to get really bright brass

2 dryer sheets and lid on my machine keeps the dust down just fine

I found a local feed store that has ground corn cob for a third the price gun shops sell it

I found that the corn cob media tends to turn into a really fine powder when run for long periods and sticks in the rim recess of cartridges and is time consuming to remove.  Walnut shells do not and PetSmart sells bulk Lizard Litter which works great with a cap full of New Finish car polish and drier sheets.

7 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Anyone that finds joy in tumbling brass is someone that I don't care to know.

Phantom

I enjoy the end product of shiny brass (wet tumble).  and anal-retentive does have a dash in it :D

Archived