SASS Wire Forum

A Good Sign - Reloading Supplies are beginning to Show Up in My Area

The owner of a local gun shop in Martinsburg, WV personally makes a weekly trip in a big truck to a large-scale distributor in PA and is able to get reloading stuff regularly. He has a full stock of shot (7-1/2, 8, 9) at $39.99, and I picked up an 8lb jug of Titegroup for $179. Perhaps supply is beginning to catch up a bit. He had some CCI pistol primers for $89 which seems a bit high + I don't like CCI's. Anyhow, I'm a happy camper as can keep reloading for trap; factory shot shells are no where to be seen.

Maybe those supplies will start migrating South to Morgantown.  We have a Bass Pro scheduled to open this Fall and a Sportsman's Warehouse.  The shelves in the Warehouse are sadly very bare.

You can forget about "Components" coming back until you see ammo sticking on the shelves...

$89 / 1000 CCI primers is not a good argument for your case.

Chill out, things will get better.

Phantom

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You can forget about "Components" coming back until you see ammo sticking on the shelves...

$89 / 1000 CCI primers is not a good argument for your case.

Chill out, things will get better.

Phantom

Yeah, but $89 for primers is 100x better than none available if you're out. I'm not able to get around to the stores and shop right now. But I do regularly peruse a couple of Classified boards relating to Texas. I have noticed a lower ask for things lately, still not back where they need to be. But the going rate a month ago was about $.75 to $1 per round of say 9mm or 45 acp. That seems to be offered now for $.50 to $.60 per round or $30 per 50. Compare that to plinking ammo at $8 to $15 pre-scamdemic.

Was in SPF  Bass Pro last week. We saw more ammo, components and guns than we have seen in many months.

They did not have any primers that I could see.

Ammo prices were up, $27.00 for 20 rnds of Winchester white bx .308 147gn fmj.

OLG 

Just ordered some 62 gr. 224 Bullets from midway that I use for 3 gun. $115 per 1100 which is only $4.80 more than last year, in stock and expected to be here on Friday:D :D :D

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

51 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Was in SPF  Bass Pro last week. We saw more ammo, components and guns than we have seen in many months.

They did not have any primers that I could see.

Ammo prices were up, $27.00 for 20 rnds of Winchester white bx .308 147gn fmj.

OLG 

Considering making a run to the NRA Museum.  Do they have a mask requirement?

I’ve been looking at my last two boxes of Federal SPP and hoping I wouldn’t have to open them before the shortage is over. No such luck so I bit the bullet and bought 5k more. The price was outrageous, but I’m back up to a year supply for the three of us.

I’m getting tired of loading shotgun ammo, I could use  5 or 10 cases of LNLR.

32 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I’ve been looking at my last two boxes of Federal SPP and hoping I wouldn’t have to open them before the shortage is over. No such luck so I bit the bullet and bought 5k more. The price was outrageous, but I’m back up to a year supply for the three of us.

Where in the world did you get 5k of primers?? Everyone here is selling only 1 to 3 sleeves of a hundred for anywhere from $6.99 to $8.99.

11 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Where in the world did you get 5k of primers?? Everyone here is selling only 1 to 3 sleeves of a hundred for anywhere from $6.99 to $8.99.

You can get bulk primers on GunBroker, but they’re not cheap. At Georgia State there was a vendor offering 5k Federal spp for $1,000. He sold them.  I got these for substantially less, but still many multiples of pre-shortage prices.

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Yeah, but $89 for primers is 100x better than none available if you're out. I'm not able to get around to the stores and shop right now. But I do regularly peruse a couple of Classified boards relating to Texas. I have noticed a lower ask for things lately, still not back where they need to be. But the going rate a month ago was about $.75 to $1 per round of say 9mm or 45 acp. That seems to be offered now for $.50 to $.60 per round or $30 per 50. Compare that to plinking ammo at $8 to $15 pre-scamdemic.

All these number represent is the effect of panic and hording.

I never charged more than $20/50 of 9mm (and that's because my cost went up about $5 / box). Any primers that you see probably came for a source other than a dealer's regular source...and primers have been available from those that had enough inventory to trickle out some. Same with Powder...but again, any decrease in price such as the example you gave has nothing to do with the distribution channel opening up.

Again, nothing will happen in a measurable way until ammo starts to stick. This is going to happen relatively soon as guns are not moving at all like the Panic Attack of 2020-2021. Want a S&W Shield or M&P15??? I'll sell ya one at cost!

Phantom

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I just sold to a needy shooter 3K SMP for $50/1000...can't wait till I can sell them for less. How much will depend on the pricing that they level out too.

Phantom

Church K,

That price for 8lb TiteGroup was about what they went for pre-covid.  I saw shotgun primers at Cabelas last week, but it was $79 for a thousand (so I passed- still have a case and a half at home).

21 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

All these number represent is the effect of panic and hording.

I never charged more than $20/50 of 9mm (and that's because my cost went up about $5 / box). Any primers that you see probably came for a source other than a dealer's regular source...and primers have been available from those that had enough inventory to trickle out some. Same with Powder...but again, any decrease in price such as the example you gave has nothing to do with the distribution channel opening up.

Again, nothing will happen in a measurable way until ammo starts to stick. This is going to happen relatively soon as guns are not moving at all like the Panic Attack of 2020-2021. Want a S&W Shield or M&P15??? I'll sell ya one at cost!

Phantom

Got any SASS Vaqueros?

2 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Got any SASS Vaqueros?

Not yet. 

:(

My biz plan requires a more normal level of availability for new firearms... My main focus is buying estates.

If I have inventory I'll sell at normal markup... Those that price their products at stoopid prices can go pound sand! I've structured my life so that I'll shelve an activity for a while before I pay BS prices.

Phantom

I've noticed lately that our Sportsmans Whse has been selling 50 rd boxes of regular 9mm roundball at $14.99 / box with a limit of 2. They've also had AA LNLR for $10.99 / box with limit of 2 but the point is they are starting to maintain their inventory. I stop by a couple of times per week and pick up 2 boxes of the AAs each trip. I'd still rather have primers than the loaded shells but I'll take what I can get.

On 6/20/2021 at 11:16 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

I dont think there are 5000 primers for sale in the entire county I live in.

Archived