SASS Wire Forum

The Virginian Dragoon

Stopped in a LGS today looking for some bullets, but they didn't have what I was looking for.  But what they DID have was an interesting looking clone of the Colt New Frontier revolver.

Here's a pic.

Virginian.thumb.JPG.3ce078a4e419efdb4178b3c1b464b7c6.JPG

It caught my eye.  I wasn't sure of what it was at first, as the grips are closer in size to 1860 grips than what you'd see on a Colt NF.  And, the rest of the gun is proportionally scaled up as well.   I soon realized why.  It's a .44 Magnum.

Anyway, I asked to look at it, and the shop owner took it out of the case, along with its original box.

542156545_ViginianBox.thumb.JPG.d06376b05dce6bcc25e29f4687f1c55a.JPG

I looked in that owner's manual, and according to it, it was made by Interarms at a plant in Alexandria, Virginia.   That location is stamped on the barrel, and I don't see any foreign proof marks on it.

I also saw this very interesting instruction in the manual...

Instructions.thumb.JPG.37410be6f4f151c8703aa2dc4336cbf9.JPG

I find it curious to see that it says to load all six cylinders.

Granted it does have a way to push the cylinder pin back to make it impossible for the hammer to rest on the frame mounted firing pin, but if you don't engage this safety, the pin will be sitting on a live primer.   

Anyway, the action is smooth and it seems to be a well made gun   It followed me home.  

So, here's the "question."  I'd never heard of this gun till I saw it today.   Anyone know anything about them?

I had one many years "pre-SASS", as well a a stainless, fixed-sight "Deputy" model.

Nice revolvers..."robust" is a good descriptive term.

Traded/sold them to co-workers who wanted them more than I did.  

EDIT:

My first one was a "Bicentennial" model.

It was stolen (early 80's), but recovered within a week after tracking it to CA.

The two fellow employees later swapped the two between them.

A few years later I got a call from a DCSO deputy at a pawn shop inquiring if I had sold a "Virgin Dragon" to my former boss.

Apparently when the theft charges were reinstated against the rathead who had stolen it, the S/N had been re-entered into NCIC. 

I informed the deputy that I had NOT sold that revolver to the guy being held at the pawn shop; then explained that I knew he had exchanged the one I had sold to him for the one in question; as well as the circumstances regarding the theft case.

I then heard him tell the "suspect" that I denied selling it to him. ;)

After making him sweat and sputter for a few minutes, he (and the revolver) were free to go.

I've had a few over the years and still own one of them. They're built like a tank, and I've never had any problems with any of them. I use mine for a back up when hunting deer and pigs, it gives me sense of "well being" while hunting in bear country loaded with some 300 grain "bear stoppers" handloads.

You will enjoy that one, Pard !

I have a Virginian Dragoon in .357 Magnum and it's a fine gun!  Mine was actually made by Saur & Sons, in Germany, and imported by Interarms.  Anyway, "Robust" is a very good description as it is a big and solid revolver that can handle full house loads with no problems.  I didn't shoot it in cowboy much, due to the adjustable sights which were at the time I purchased it, only allowed in the Modern category.  However, it's a great side arm for someone experienced with a single action revolver and in a very potent caliber that I have found useful for other things.  This handgun does have a frame mounted firing pin and I would only load 5 in this gun rather than depend on the base pin safety arrangement.  Anyway, for the $200.00 I spent on this as a used firearm in great condition, I think it was money well spent and it will probably still be in my gun safe or on my hip for quite some time.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

I bought one in '81 or '82, .44 mag, stainless, 8 3/8" bbl, Yorktown edition, when they had a promotional "special pricing" deal going on - $155, shipped, one to a dealer. A few years later, my car was broken into at work one weekend, and the revolver, belt, holster, and 25 rounds of ammo stolen. About six weeks later, it was recovered in a pawn shop in Denver, and returned to the local PD, sans ammo. I went into town to pick it up, and they wouldn't turn it over to me until I paid five or six dollars postage on it, whatever it was. I still have it.

Yes, the Virginian Dragoons were manufactured by Sauer & Sons in Germany.  Excellent quality.  Some of them had transfer bars.  I don't recall if Sauer licensed the transfer bar set up from Ruger or visa versa, but the ones that have them are safe to carry with "six beans in the wheel".  Holster patterns may be the same as a Super Blackhawk.  I'd have to look in my pattern drawer as it has been a while since I had a request for one.

Archived