SASS Wire Forum

A different take on glock verses 1911

Trigger Mike

It's a 22-4(?), I think. Thunder Ranch special.

I thought about putting up a picture of my 625.

1390517509_625-2Modelof198845ACPleft.thumb.jpg.c0d55fc26d5700eae563fa5aa732404d.jpg

You're right about the accuracy. This was the first time my daughter had ever held the gun, let alone shot it.

1944809247_625firsttimenamesredacted.jpg.94157fadc19d96e66c4c78a444e294d3.jpg I was loading it with five rounds, because it made the box come out even.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was thinking about a 625. I got to shoot one a few months ago at my local range. A gentleman there asked me if I would like to try it. His was well broken in. Probably the smoothest DA trigger I have ever felt. At 10 yards I put all 6 rounds in a neat little group. It actually shocked me to think I was capable of shooting that well. The right gun helps, obviously. 
After I shot it he said he did his own trigger work, but quickly followed that statement with “but I will not work in other people’s guns.”

Your .45 is a good looking shooter. What model / dash number is it, if you don’t mind me asking. Thank you. 

I've got three revolvers that shoot 45 ACP.  A Model 1917 Smith & Wesson, a 625 Smith & Wesson Mountain Gun, and a 625 JM Smith & Wesson.  Love every one of them.  All three have excellent actions and trigger pulls, but the JM leads the pack.  Stock photo attached. 

625 jm.jpg

On 6/23/2021 at 10:19 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I saw a Ruger Security 9 yesterday that looked just like a rounded off Glock. 

Whoa slow down there turbo.  My EDC is a Security 9.  Other than some plastic (which glock didn't start) and a dingus on the trigger, it don't look much like a glock at all.  Most importantly, it's not like a glock in 3 ways that matter most.  It's hammer fired, has a manual safety, and doesn't throw hot brass down my shirt. 

You must be using the media firearms identification guide if you think this looks like a glock.  

1.jpg

49 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Whoa slow down there turbo.  My EDC is a Security 9.  Other than some plastic (which glock didn't start) and a dingus on the trigger, it don't look much like a glock at all.  Most importantly, it's not like a glock in 3 ways that matter most.  It's hammer fired, has a manual safety, and doesn't throw hot brass down my shirt. 

You must be using the media firearms identification guide if you think this looks like a glock.  

1.jpg

It was a photo on a magazine, to be honest. 
Since I can’t buy Ruger pistols in CA I paid the article no mind. 
BUT…

Does it not have a polymer (nylon) frame, a steel slide, grip texture built in, a “safety” trigger and Glock-like controls?

Looks like a rounded off “Glock” to me. 

34 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It was a photo on a magazine, to be honest. 
Since I can’t buy Ruger pistols in CA I paid the article no mind. 
BUT…

Does it not have a polymer (nylon) frame, a steel slide, grip texture built in, a “safety” trigger and Glock-like controls?

Looks like a rounded off “Glock” to me. 

First off, it's high performance glass filled nylon. 

Second, other than the trigger dingus none of those things are things glock invented.

Third, It's not glock like controls because there's a manual safety on the other side.  But I'll let that one slide since you probably only saw the right side of the gun. 

Fourth, I'm surprised a man of your refinement didn't notice the 2 degrees difference in the grip angle.  The Ruger has the same grip angle as the 1911. 

I enjoy how you always put "perfection" in quotes when talking about the glock.  linkBe ourfe imeste ife uourye eingbe eldhe aptivece. 

53 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

linkBe ourfe imeste ife uourye eingbe eldhe aptivece. 

I have to admit, I can’t figure that one out. :lol:

I put “perfection” in quotes because though I like my Glocks they are not perfect. If they were people wouldn’t need or desire to modify them. ;)

I really think it’s the silliest slogan or logo for pretty much anything. 

I had a discussion with a Glock rep at a gun show years ago in SoCal. Glock actually had a table set up. 
I played devil’s advocate and asked why “Perfection” was chosen as their slogan. He went on to describe how perfect Glocks were and mentioned the G17 and I said “Let me stop you right there. If the Glock 17 was perfection then why was the Glock 34 created? It has a better trigger, a tighter lock up and a longer barrel. So, is the G34 “perfection” perfected?”

He stammered and then I let him off the hook by telling him I was just busting his (cajones) and then I snagged a Glock decal and walked away. 

No gun is perfect regardless of who created it. ;)

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have to admit, I can’t figure that one out. :lol:

Pig Latin for "Blink 4 times if you're being held captive". 

As in being held captive by your glock which is forcing you to say it is "perfection"

I personally always wrote Pig Latin ending in ay.

Ogay otay ethay orestay.

I also use the consonant sounds, which made more sense to me.

inkblay, not linkbay

Think about it. What would you do if you were trying to say shoe? Hoesay? Confuse everybody all to hell. ooshay, on t'other hand, would work great.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I personally always wrote Pig Latin ending in ay.

Ogay otay ethay orestay.

I also use the consonant sounds, which made more sense to me.

inkblay, not linkbay

Think about it. What would you do if you were trying to say shoe? Hoesay? Confuse everybody all to hell. ooshay, on t'other hand, would work great.

It's possible that I've never writ pig latin before. 

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Pig Latin for "Blink 4 times if you're being held captive". 

As in being held captive by your glock which is forcing you to say it is "perfection"

Nope. My Glocks are inert.

I had figured them all out except “captive”. That one had me stumped…or umpedstay :D

A few years ago I decided that plastic or polymer wasn’t doing it for me so I sold my Glocks at the time. I am still kicking myself for selling the G34 I had. Most intuitive shooting pistol I have ever owned. 
Anyway, I went on a mission to find a metal framed non-1911 9mm that I really liked. I rented numerous guns at ranges but just couldn’t find anything that I liked, so I bought revolvers. 

I ended up buying Glocks again and I am happy with them, so that is what I am sticking to…for now. I still prefer revolvers over pistols any day. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I still prefer revolvers over pistols any day. 

Revolvers over automatics.

Revolvers are pistols.

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Revolvers over automatics.

Revolvers are pistols.

That's as tedious as the clips vs magazines debate. 

Texas gun trader says pistols and revolvers are both handguns.  That's as good an authority as there is on the subject. 

image.png.dcbae3c1cd7581d864b7716725ca6834.png

Y’all know I am a Browning hi power fan. Why want a 1911 in 9mm when Browning made the hi-power for 9mm mine has a 15 round Meggar magazine and one in the chamber. 1911s don’t. I never cared for Glocks as am afraid they might melt if I left them in the car on a hot Louisiana sun shine day, but the are alright to take fishing because if you drop it in the lake it was only a Glock!  Irish ☘️ Pat

39 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Y’all know I am a Browning hi power fan. Why want a 1911 in 9mm when Browning made the hi-power for 9mm mine has a 15 round Meggar magazine and one in the chamber. 1911s don’t. I never cared for Glocks as am afraid they might melt if I left them in the car on a hot Louisiana sun shine day, but the are alright to take fishing because if you drop it in the lake it was only a Glock!  Irish ☘️ Pat

Queen of the 9s!

56 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

It’s funny, for years I wanted a Browning Hi-Power, but when I got to shoot one I didn’t care for it. I tried a friend’s and then I rented them a couple of times, but I just didn’t care 

for them. This actually surprised me as they feel great in my hands. I found the same thing with CZ-75s. I just don’t care for shooting them. I am darn glad I didn’t buy either one without having shot one. 

30 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

How will you get it? Magnets don't stick to plastic.:D

Glock makes a special magnet. It attaches to the 84% of the Glock that is steel. :P

3 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

I hope y’all know I am joking about Glocks. My pal says that if we get the Glock back out of the lake it will still work 

That's one of the good things about a Glock. Once you get it out of the lake, just hose it off, let it dry, run it over with a truck to shake loose the dried mud inside of it, wash it off again, let it dry and shoot it.

Try that with a 1911!:)

5 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

That's one of the good things about a Glock. Once you get it out of the lake, just hose it off, let it dry, run it over with a truck to shake loose the dried mud inside of it, wash it off again, let it dry and shoot it.

Try that with a 1911!:)

I’ll take your word for it. I like my Glocks so I don’t abuse them…much. 

Here are a couple videos if one is curious what others have done in regards to torture tests of Glocks vs 1911s. 

I would never do this to two fine guns. 

This one is funny:

There were a couple more I found but I couldn’t handle the silliness of one and the other, an 8:42 long video just had too much fowl/foul language to make excuses for it on this “family forum”. You can go look for that yourselves if you are interested. Search words “Glock vs 1911 torture test”

I don't like abusing any firearm just for the hell of it. I've seen some of the Glock tests and I hope that I never have one that gets run over by a D8 dozer....especially if it's holstered on me. Different guns fit different people. Unlike dogs, pistols don't look like their owners!

I grew up shooting 1911s and S&W revolvers, so the Glock's trigger was a huge turn off to me. However, my issue gun was a G23 that I carried on a high risk Parole Unit. Over 6,000 rounds through it, it was scarred up when I retired and I stuck a note in the box so when it gets traded in I will [hopefully] be able to buy it.

Archived