SASS Wire Forum

A different take on glock verses 1911

Trigger Mike

I love a 1911.  Very few women are as sexy as a 1911 pistol.  My 1911 lets me fondle it more than women do.  I like a glock only because it is a gun.  I hate the cz even though it is a gun because it is dog ugly.  

I have a problem though.  I don't have much when it comes to hips.  Now that I am getting close to qualifying for senior discounts I am losing weight and have even smaller hips.  

A 1911 pulls my pants down unless I wear suspenders under my shirt so my shirt can hide the 1911.  Even a ultra light compact pulls my pants down.  That could be awkward unless my wife wants them down for some reason.  The local gun stores kick you out if your pants are down.  

Recently I found a  used glock 43x .  It does not pull my pants down.  It is more accurate than a sig 938, likely because of the longer sight radius or bigger grip.  It is not more accurate than the 1911, but my pants stay up.  I don't have to wear suspenders and a belt like the guy in the movie "Once Upon A Time in the West" who got shot in the belt buckle and suspenders straps.  

I know the guy who first owned it and he carried it without ever shooting it (which I won't do, ever).  He switched to a new fangled brand 1911 in 9mm, but he works in a gun store and doesn't have to conceal his like I do.  

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful!

Each person needs to decide what’s best for them.

I also like the 1911 but I also see a place for a Glock.

I have seen many 9mm 1911’s have feeding issues.

Your Glock 43X holds 10 rounds in the factory magazine as do 9mm 1911’s and it will feed just about anything you put in it.

One thought on your story, the person you purchased the Glock from carried it but never shot it?

And he works at a gun store?

I've been carrying a 43 for several years. Fell in love with it while shopping for a gun for my wife. Sadly bought mine before the 43x came out. Sure would like those extra rounds, but I just carry and extra mag.

JHC

Like Trigger Mike I've always had BBNB (big belly no butt) disease. Had the same trouble trying to carry a 1911 much as I love it. Have a Smith 5906 that's even worse, esp with 15 rds in it. Decided it would live in the truck.

JHC

I like Glocks. I rented and shot the 43, 43X and the 42 (.380 ACP). I liked all 3, but I didn’t buy one. Then I moved to the People’s Republic of California. Land of retardation, Prop 65 proves it. 
You can’t get those guns here…they’re unsafe…unless Glock pays the extortion to get them tested and approved. Or a cop buys them then sells them…then that’s okay. :blink:

Anyway, after I moved here I bought a Glock 26 Gen 3. I liked it well enough and shot it very well but the darn thing is as wide as a 17 or 34. The short grip played havoc with my wrist and using a longer magazine negated the compactness of it so I traded it for a Colt Detective Special. (Can I get a Yeehaw?!) I do not recall the single stack Glocks causing me pain when shooting them. 

Anyway, I said all that to say be careful going too light with a 9mm gun if you even think you have arthritis in your wrists. 

The worst gun for my wrists that I ever fired? The Kel-Tec P3AT. Holy cow that little thing kicked and rocked like crazy. That thing is long gone! 

22 minutes ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

Wonderful!

Each person needs to decide what’s best for them.

I also like the 1911 but I also see a place for a Glock.

I have seen many 9mm 1911’s have feeding issues.

Your Glock 43X holds 10 rounds in the factory magazine as do 9mm 1911’s and it will feed just about anything you put in it.

One thought on your story, the person you purchased the Glock from carried it but never shot it?

And he works at a gun store?

I was surprised he said that as well and told him I never carry a gun I've never fired.  Later he asked how I liked it, told him it shoots great.  

4 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I was surprised he said that as well and told him I never carry a gun I've never fired.  Later he asked how I liked it, told him it shoots great.  

The first gun I am going to buy when I leave California will probably be a Glock 43 or 43X…or both. 

I have never understood the Glock v Colt thing. Apples and oranges. People bring up the most ridiculous and often totally bogus points in their pro/con arguments. Worse than Ford v Chevy. I learned to shoot with a 1911. I carried Glocks as an officer and instructor for over 15 years. They are a reliable firearm. They are no better or worse than a 1911 in my opinion. It depends completely on the user.

Personally I could never shoot quite as accurately with a Glock as I could with either a 1911 or a revolver. But I could shoot very effectively. Enough so 

I was fully confident in any of them to adequately defend my skinny but.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have never understood the Glock v Colt thing. Apples and oranges. People bring up the most ridiculous and often totally bogus points in their pro/con arguments. Worse than Ford v Chevy. I learned to shoot with a 1911. I carried Glocks as an officer and instructor for over 15 years. They are a reliable firearm. They are no better or worse than a 1911 in my opinion. It depends completely on the user.

Personally I could never shoot quite as accurately with a Glock as I could with either a 1911 or a revolver. But I could shoot very effectively. Enough so 

I was fully confident in any of them to adequately defend my skinny but.

Thank you Bob. 

I have always been baffled by the Glock vs 1911 thing myself. I have a feeling it all started back in the early 90’s at Gun Shows and guys playing in other guy’s masculinity. I recall the 1911 sales guys berating Glocks and the Glock guys berating 1911s and I think it took off from there. 

It’s fun to tease guys about their guns and hack on em a bit about this and that but some people get way overboard with it. I have actually seen friendships eroded over this silliness. 

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

For me I have to go with what feels best in my hands...Glock just never seemed to fit right...That is me...The 1911 grip just feels better in my hands and fits right...

Texas Lizard

I think it’s funny you mention this. With my 1911s I could just never get them to feel right and when I did my accuracy was whacko. The first time I shot a Glock 17 at an IDPA match I was blown away by how I naturally aimed the thing. A guy loaned me one of his guns for the match. I went out the next week and bought a Glock 34. 

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I love my 1911 so much that it is my EDC gun. I don't have anything against Glocks, they just don't fit my hand. I just jump into the fray because it amuses me.:D If they didn't work, half the LEOs in the country wouldn't be carrying them.

I really don't care for any plastic framed gun, but I don't hold it against anybody that likes them. I also prefer wood grips over any plastic, even though my 1911 wears poly-ivory grips. 

5 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I love a 1911.  Very few women are as sexy as a 1911 pistol.  My 1911 lets me fondle it more than women do.  I like a glock only because it is a gun.  I hate the cz even though it is a gun because it is dog ugly.  

I have a problem though.  I don't have much when it comes to hips.  Now that I am getting close to qualifying for senior discounts I am losing weight and have even smaller hips.  

A 1911 pulls my pants down unless I wear suspenders under my shirt so my shirt can hide the 1911.  Even a ultra light compact pulls my pants down.  That could be awkward unless my wife wants them down for some reason.  The local gun stores kick you out if your pants are down.  

Recently I found a  used glock 43x .  It does not pull my pants down.  It is more accurate than a sig 938, likely because of the longer sight radius or bigger grip.  It is not more accurate than the 1911, but my pants stay up.  I don't have to wear suspenders and a belt like the guy in the movie "Once Upon A Time in the West" who got shot in the belt buckle and suspenders straps.  

I know the guy who first owned it and he carried it without ever shooting it (which I won't do, ever).  He switched to a new fangled brand 1911 in 9mm, but he works in a gun store and doesn't have to conceal his like I do.  

You go to your church and I'll go to mine.  I'll resist ugly guns like Glocks and others and stick to my 1911 even if I have to duct tape it to my body.

I have both and have carried both. My 1911's are in 45ACP. My Glocks are in 9mm. Currently carry a Glock 43x in 9mm with the Sheild Arms flush fit 15 round magazines. Like it because it is lighter and more compact than my Glock 19 but still fits my hand with a full grip and is thinner and less blocky more like a 1911. Nothing beats a good 1911 trigger unless you're talking a revolver in single action. I have no plans to get rid of any of them. 

I guess I am an apostate. I figure God the father has a Colt SAA in 45 colt, his Son has a 1911 in 45 ACP, and the Holy Ghost has a Glock in 9mm.

Bought my first 1911 in '82. Still own it.

Bought my first Glock ('Gen 1' G17) in '84. Still own it.

Have carried both, have won matches with both, enjoy shooting both.

For most rational people, the 1911 v. Glock thing is just a bit of funnin' around, although some poor souls want it to be serious.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think it’s funny you mention this. With my 1911s I could just never get them to feel right and when I did my accuracy was whacko. The first time I shot a Glock 17 at an IDPA match I was blown away by how I naturally aimed the thing. A guy loaned me one of his guns for the match. I went out the next week and bought a Glock 34. 

There's a lot to be said for the grip angle on the Glock -- kinda between a Luger and a 1911. Never really had a strong preference for either one.

I suppose it's kinda like the plowhandle v. Bisley v. birdshead setups on SAAs -- whatever feels right and points right. 

I’ve owned a couple Glocks and they just don’t feel right to me. I like the S&W M andP better. I’m currently carrying a Shield in 9mm. I love my Colt 1911 but it’s just too big to carry.

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You go to your church and I'll go to mine.  I'll resist ugly guns like Glocks and others and stick to my 1911 even if I have to duct tape it to my body.

Can't argue that. Glocks are ugly as a mud fence. I don't carry one because it's pretty. I love 1911s as much as anyone. I traded my first nickel Gov. Model.......for a Gold Cup. I briefly had an Officer's ACP that I really liked, sold it to a good friend (that's kinda why I bought it) cuz he had one he loved that he had and had to give up with a deal he got with an inlaw (outlaw) involving a pawn ticket he bought cheap when the inlaw would have lost it then wanted it back. Long sad story. One of those things you look back on and kinda wish you hadn't done, but you did it for a pard. Guess 'nuff said.

JHC

Ive had a few Glocks and one 1911.

The 1911 shot best. The 17 shot well. The 30 shot well. All three are gone.

The 1911 was too big for my carry needs even at 6’2” 240 lbs. Too bulky, too heavy and in the way of other stuff. Same goes for the 17 and it was a joy to shoot. The 30 was accurate, but an odd duck with the blocky double stack mag and the finger grooves in the wrong place.

I never cared for or found comfort with whole cocked and locked 1911 thing vs the Glock offering of reliable striker fired handgun I could simply carry chambered, pull and shoot. In general 99.7% of the time, I don’t carry anyway because of work and in general I am not one to go casually about town. 97.356% of the time, if I am not home I am generally at work, heading to or from work, church, hunting, fishing, or at the archery range. So grabbing a concealed weapon isn't part of my routine or second nature.

I preferred my SW 6906 overall better than the above three for carrying but it sat so long I decided to sell it and that was a mistake.

I now have a Glock 48. If I could ever get the Shield Arms 15 round magazine, thats about perfection- packable, concealable, high capacity  9mm. I like it’s balance and sight radius better than the 43X.

Why does everyone always make this big point about Glock is striker fired? Striker fired is nothing new. My Ortgies pistols, made in the 1920s, are striker fired. My Luger, made in 1913, is striker fired. My 1895 Chilean Mauser, made in (who'da thunk it) 1895, is striker fired.

Striker fired has been around longer than automatic pistols. Why does everyone get so excited about, "ooohhh, I've got a striker fired pistol"?

Hey Trigger Mike,

Try one of those double thick belts designed especially for concealed carry. They do a great job of holding your pants and hardware up without being overly tight. Works wonders for us skinny guys with a fondness for real steel and wood. This is what I'm fond of:  https://www.daltechforce.com/collections/bullbelt-gun-belts/products/bullbelt-basketweave

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Why does everyone always make this big point about Glock is striker fired? Striker fired is nothing new. My Ortgies pistols, made in the 1920s, are striker fired. My Luger, made in 1913, is striker fired. My 1895 Chilean Mauser, made in (who'da thunk it) 1895, is striker fired.

Striker fired has been around longer than automatic pistols. Why does everyone get so excited about, "ooohhh, I've got a striker fired pistol"?

My guess is it’s because there are a lot of folks that only trust hammers.
I also believe it’s because if you throw shade on something you can sell more of what you’re selling when it’s not striker fired, if you get my drift. 

5 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

If I could ever get the Shield Arms 15 round magazine

If you go to the Shield Arms website you can backorder them and they will be shipped in 2 to 4 weeks in my experience. The only time it took longer was when they changed from gen 1 mags to the new gen 2 mags. https://shieldarms.com/glock-43x-48-15-round-mag

I have a couple of Glocks.

First tried them during our Police Force's switch over from revolvers to semi-autos.

I liked the Glock 19 and the 17's after I got on to them in 9mm.

The switch to .40 caliber was a bit harder for some strange reason.

My G19 Gen 4, Canadian Edition now seems to get more range time than my HP, (Maybe the new girl in the safe???)

The Glock 19s in Canada have a slightly longer barrel and 10 round magazines, to meet Canadian laws and make them a Restricted firearm as opposed to a Prohibited model that cannot be imported.

IMG_2395.JPG

6 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I have a couple of Glocks.

First tried them during our Police Force's switch over from revolvers to semi-autos.

I liked the Glock 19 and the 17's after I got on to them in 9mm.

The switch to .40 caliber was a bit harder for some strange reason.

My G19 Gen 4, Canadian Edition now seems to get more range time than my HP, (Maybe the new girl in the safe???)

The Glock 19s in Canada have a slightly longer barrel and 10 round magazines, to meet Canadian laws and make them a Restricted firearm as opposed to a Prohibited model that cannot be imported.

IMG_2395.JPG

I owned a Gen 3 G19. Hated it then realized my problem was the finger grooves. They don’t match my fingers. I was going to modify the frame but decided not to ruin it for someone that might like the gun so I sold it to a co-worker. 
He came in a week later complaining about “that da**ed Glock 19!”

Concerned, I asked what the problem was and he said “My wife took it. She likes it so much that she told me it was hers and that I needed to find another gun for myself.” :lol:

So, I guess it found a new loving home. :D

I found the grooves an asset and like them for my hand.

I found my New model SASS Vaqueros fit my hand better than my old model Vaqueros as well.

I guess it has more to do with my hand size.

2 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

I propose the establishment of a new shooting division that focuses on the glock pistols...

...we can call it the "Cowboys-Gone-Wild Bunch"

Naw, I think that division is already staked out by the DIPSTICK shooters!

(DUCKS AND HEADS FOR COVER AFTER STIRRING THE POT)

evil.gif

nest.gif

Stirthepot2 (1).gif

19 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I found the grooves an asset and like them for my hand.

I found my New model SASS Vaqueros fit my hand better than my old model Vaqueros as well.

I guess it has more to do with my hand size.

I like the grooves on my Gen 3 Glock 34’s. Yep, got two of em…just in case SASS starts a new shooting category…I am not a “Dipstick” though. :lol:

At least not IMHO. ;)

I wonder if we could get Glock to build some SAA clones ??

That would REALLY throw a curve into the Colt v. Glock controversy.  

They could build '5-click' triggers that spell 'G-L-O-C-K'  when you shoot them !!!

Maybe just a limited run of the Glock-1911 to confuse the purists on BOTH sides fo the debate !

Glock 1911.jpg

11 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

They could build '5-click' triggers that spell 'G-L-O-C-K'  when you shoot them !!!

Maybe just a limited run of the Glock-1911 to confuse the purists on BOTH sides fo the debate !

Glock 1911.jpg

I have been thinking about buying a 1911 again. I wonder what folks would think about a set of grip panels with the Glock logo?…

I would bet that might set some people free. :lol:

1 hour ago, Chuck Steak said:

Glock 1911.jpg

The most fervent hope deep in the darkest recesses of every glockaholic's little diseased heart...

Archived