SASS Wire Forum

I Made This For Breakfast, Instantly Thought of Bob's Vaquero Breakfast

Subdeacon Joe

I ran across this on FB a few days ago, read it to my wife, she said to make it Saturday.  I instantly thought it would make a nice variation of Huevos Rancheros.  Serve it on tortillas with some salsa rojo or salsa verde.  Use a hard Mexican cheese rather than Parm, add some chili powder to the egg whites.  Idiot simple and VERY tasty.

Parmesan Cloud Eggs

Ingredients

4 large eggs , whites and yolk separated

Pinch of salt

¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

1 scallion , finely chopped

Ground pepper to taste

Instructions

STEP 1Preheat oven to 450¬F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly coat with cooking spray.

STEP 2Separate egg whites from the yolks, placing each yolk in an individual small bowl. Beat all of the egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff.

STEP 3Gently fold Parmesan and scallions into the beaten whites with a rubber spatula. Make 4 mounds (about 3/4 cup each) of egg-cheese mixture on the prepared baking sheet. Make a well in the middle of each mound with the back of a spoon.

STEP 4Bake the egg whites until starting to lightly brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from oven. If the well has filled in during baking, use the spoon to recreate it. Gently slip a yolk into each well. Bake until the yolks are cooked but still runny, 3 to 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately.

Well, Joe, I think we all now have a good understanding of why Lisa married you~!  :lol:

(She is, by all accounts, a very wise woman)  ^_^

3 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well, Joe, I think we all now have a good understanding of why Lisa married you~!  :lol:

And she IS guaranteed Sainthood :D:P

OLG 

11 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Sounds like a lot of work.  Taco Bell has breakfast burritos ready to go.

Total time was only about 20 minutes. The hardest part was dividing the egg whites into 4 even portions.  About 10 minutes faster than going to TB for something.   And only cost about 2 bucks for the two of us. 

5 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

At least a very patient one!

We both love to cook and play with food. 

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

And, where are the pictures of the meal?

Pictures or it didn't happen :lol:

OLG 

As this was the first time I pretty much stuck to the recipe.   No scallions,  substituted shallots and had to adjust the cooking time. 

Also kicked around folding in crumbled feta, chopped kalamata olives, scallions,  and serving them on a bed of sautéed spinach. 

So many ways to play with this. 

By the way... remember, if you beat those egg whites by hand with a whisk, be sure to use a copper bowl.  :rolleyes:

But if you must use stainless steel or glass, a pinch o' cream of tartar will help.  ^_^

The Single Action Shooting Society ~ the only organization I'm aware of where the women freely compare guns and the men exchange recipes!  :lol:

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

We both love to cook and play with food. 

I got more than one spanking for playing with my food!

:angry:

55 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

The Single Action Shooting Society ~ the only organization I'm aware of where the women freely compare guns and the men exchange recipes!  :lol:

Not unlike the SCA - women talk swords, blacksmithing, and armor, men talk cooking and sewing.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Sounds like a lot of work.  Taco Bell has breakfast burritos ready to go.

Taco Bell burritos! :lol::lol::lol:

8 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

By the way... remember, if you beat those egg whites by hand with a whisk, be sure to use a copper bowl.  :rolleyes:

But if you must use stainless steel or glass, a pinch o' cream of tartar will help.  ^_^

"Whenever you have to stir something always use a whisk.  It doesn't really do much to help the food but you sure look professional using it."  (Advice from a Master Chef who used to run one of the best restaurants at New York New York in Las Vegas.)

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

"Whenever you have to stir something always use a whisk.  It doesn't really do much to help the food but you sure look professional using it."  (Advice from a Master Chef who used to run one of the best restaurants at New York New York in Las Vegas.)

Electric mixer whenever possible. 

Archived