SASS Wire Forum

Open Carry: A Right or a Fashion Statement?

Charlie T Waite

(from concealedcarrysociety.com)

I figure open carry is the same as topless women at the beach.
For some, it is an expression of their freedom... for others, a fashion statement.
If this was an every day, all day situation, it would be no big deal.

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

I figure open carry is the same as topless women at the beach.
For some, it is an expression of their freedom... for others, a fashion statement.
If this was an every day, all day situation, it would be no big deal.

For some of is it VERY MUCH IS and everyday ALL DAY LONG situation!!  Unless I am prevented from doing so by law, I carry.  And I carry openly, almost exclusively, EVERY DAY!!  If I go somewhere to eat or shop or to be entertained and they prohibit me carrying, I simply go someplace else!! I will not support those businesses that refuse to support my civil rights!!

I genuinely salute you for carrying openly.

However... take a count some time when out in public.
Get an honest count.. how many open carry vs no carry or hidden.
I figure open carry is a very small minority of folks on the street.

Until open carry, or topless women at the beach, becomes ubiquitous, those carrying will be singled out.
There is always some belligerent or other fool willing to step up and challenge the man who is carrying.
I live in the cesspool of CA, where an open carry would be challenged by some thug far more often than your more civilized part of the country.

Never been “challenged” in the whole time I have carried open! I HAVE on more than one, (actually, I should say many) occasions, including a couple of times by law enforcement, been complimented on my decision to carry openly. I go about my business without flourish or fanfare. No “look at me” in my actions.  In my area, I see others, not many but more than a few who open carry as well.  Around here, most go un-noticed and seldom acknowledged. The local chief deputy even approves and the sheriff has supported openly, the Second Amendment Sanctuary status of the county!

Different world here…

Archived