SASS Wire Forum

The joys of RV life...

When you sit down to a cool rig...after a long day, and notice "Hey...the fan isn't going."

" Did you turn off the fan?"

" No, you must have."

"Uhm...no. I like it to circulate the air."

"Hmmm...is the air even on?"

So, outside he goes...breaker kicked at box.

Breaker flips real quick again...

Go to a second box...nada.

Voltometer comes out, and cord is not working.

Unplug cord from 5th wheel, and count our blessing there was no fire!!!

20210619_062806.jpg

20210619_062813.jpg

Looks like a trip to Lowes or Camping World!!

(if they don’t have it, find an electrical supply!)

Ahhhh, the old saying holds true, the only thing on an RV that works is the owner! Hope you got it fixed!   SCJ

Circuit breakers are your friend!!!

That cable looks a little small.  Also, check for grounding issues or an overload on one leg of your electrical system!  If Shanley isn’t well versed in electrical, get a good electrician to check it over!

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Looks like a trip to Lowes or Camping World!!

(if they don’t have it, find an electrical supply!)

Nothing here so far...

Trying the True Value...then a 'tractor supply' store.

Have to dress for funeral...so may have to go without today.

5 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Ahhhh, the old saying holds true, the only thing on an RV that works is the owner! Hope you got it fixed!   SCJ

Trying.

Also check the male cord end. Rarely is only one of the cord ends burnt/overheated. When you go to buy/replace the cord end(s),  the L5-30 is the NEMA number. This is the configuration of the cord ends

Just now, Cypress Sun said:

Also check the male cord end. Rarely is only one of the cord ends burnt/overheated. When you go to buy/replace the cord end(s),  the L5-30 is the NEMA number. This is the configuration of the cord ends

Thanks.

Shanley works in the electricity field...fixed the one on the small camper.

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hope you get that fixed. 

Me too!

Went to look for a replacement cord...but small town, and little time! He has to be at the church by 9am...

Nearest town is 30 min out...so may have to wait untill services are over this afternoon.

From looking at the photo, it looks to me like the wire connection was loose. This will cause a hot spot when a lot of current is drawn, such as an AC unit. I would want a #10 or larger wire size for that 30 amp service. Remember, wire size gets bigger as the number gets smaller. I.e., #10 is larger than #12, etc. 

19 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

From looking at the photo, it looks to me like the wire connection was loose. This will cause a hot spot when a lot of current is drawn, such as an AC unit. I would want a #10 or larger wire size for that 30 amp service. Remember, wire size gets bigger as the number gets smaller. I.e., #10 is larger than #12, etc. 

Yup.

In the electric field...well versed on the fix.

Just happy this small town had anything to make the repair!!!

16241077658668818437819057376465.jpg

21 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

We should have changed it out last year...as it was aging out...just seem to only remember those things when they fail.

The Shanley Hotel is back up and cooling!!!

The trailer side tested out dandy...new plug head on and working great.

Seems even a bit more 'push' to the power!!!

Headed over to Davenport after the services to get a new cord...and will designate the repair as a back up!

I am sorry to hear of that...
The idiots that installed our home A/C attic system did the same thing with the mains connection wiring.
It took several hours of diagnosis before the burned wires were found several inches above the splice and inside the loom insulation.
The root cause:  inept installation.

Our daughter's long time friend (age 45) and her man bought a new $105k 5th wheel.
It crapped out on them on the maiden voyage and had to be towed somewhere for repairs.

I have zero confidence in trailers being built with any more quality than "slam, bam, thank-you ma'am".

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I am sorry to hear of that...
The idiots that installed our home A/C attic system did the same thing with the mains connection wiring.
It took several hours of diagnosis before the burned wires were found several inches above the splice and inside the loom insulation.
The root cause:  inept installation.

Our daughter's long time friend (age 45) and her man bought a new $105k 5th wheel.
It crapped out on them on the maiden voyage and had to be towed somewhere for repairs.

I have zero confidence in trailers being built with any more quality than "slam, bam, thank-you ma'am".

We have been blessed with this 2005, well used but pristine living area 5th wheel.

Paid 10k and have used it well for 4+ years!

If it lasts, it will be my last!

4 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yup.

In the electric field...well versed on the fix.

Just happy this small town had anything to make the repair!!!

16241077658668818437819057376465.jpg

Leatherman and a driver set......outstanding!B)

Surge protector into the pole then the plug. Better ones kick off the power for amp draw outside parameters and voltage spikes.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yes sir!!!

We will be in around 5pm.

Look for an older Loredo 5th wheel...and a Rooster!!! NM plates.

Rooster? Are we having chicken & dumplings?

Sue, if you don’t have one already you should consider an electrical management system.  I’ve been using a Progressive Industries one for years and recommend them, here’s a link  https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-lchw50

Archived