SASS Wire Forum

Breakfast - Phooey

I have never been a breakfast eater and people were always telling me you have to eat breakfast, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day."  From history articles I know that people in medievil and ancient times did not eat breakfast.  Yesterday I was listening to the Dennis Praeger Show and he had on a professor from Johns Hopkins that was a virologist and they were talking about viruses.  At some point breakfast being important came up and the professor said "you know that 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' is just an advertising slogan invented by Kelloggs to sell corn flakes."   I looked it up and he was right, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg in addition to selling cereal ran a sanitarium.  He and another guy came up with the slogan in 1917.  So, breakfast ain't that important.  By the way, FYI, Wheaties is not the breakfast of champions.  That slogan was invented in 1934.

Breakfast - to BREAK your FAST - is the first meal you eat that day. If you get up in the morning and have eggs at 6:00, that's breakfast. If you get up and do not eat until noon, and have a hamburger, that is breakfast. If you go without eating all day long and have a sirloin steak at 6:30 that night, that is breakfast.

Breakfast is not "the morning meal". It is "the first meal".

So breakfast is important, because if you do not eat breakfast, you will starve to death.

I'll start every day with coffee. Usually somewhere between 4 am and 5 am. On good days bacon, eggs and potatos follow closely behind the 4 cups of coffee.

Alpo's definition of breakfast or breaking your fast is correct. 

Breakfast being the "most important meal of the day"…. Figures, a marketing and sales ploy. Good one though.

46 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Breakfast - to BREAK your FAST - is the first meal you eat that day. If you get up in the morning and have eggs at 6:00, that's breakfast. If you get up and do not eat until noon, and have a hamburger, that is breakfast. If you go without eating all day long and have a sirloin steak at 6:30 that night, that is breakfast.

Breakfast is not "the morning meal". It is "the first meal".

So breakfast is important, because if you do not eat breakfast, you will starve to death.

First hand experience?  :lol:

50 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Breakfast - to BREAK your FAST

That comes from the Church.  You fasted (typically) from sundown (later midnight) until you took the Eucharist.  In the early Church, and still in the Slavic tradition, you then take a little unconsecrated bread and wine (Запивка - zapivka, to wash down) to cleanse your mouth of any remaining particles of the Eucharist and also break your fast.  In the VERY early church it was more than that, pretty much a full meal. 

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Don't know about your area of the country but around here there is breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I usually eat around 2:00 pm.  I call it Linner.

If you work third shift, you likely have breakfast about the same time others are having supper/dinner.  If you work second, about lunch/dinner time! The chronological time of day has nothing to do with the meal!  What you eat isn’t important to which meal you call it either.

Of course, you can call whichever meal whatever you want to anyway!

My mom used to insist that I eat breakfast before school.  Two slices of lightly buttered toast and a glass of milk.  Which I threw up about 15 minutes later.  Finally, in about 1965 Carnation came out with Instant Breakfast.  I had a glass of that every morning from 3rd grade until I was out of high school (DON'T SAY IT!!!!).   Now I have some coffee about 0430, and bring coffee with me to work.  Sometimes I'll get hungry at work, maybe twice a month, and go buy a burger.  
Saturdays I'll fix something around 0900.  Sundays I eat after church, which will be around noon or a little after.

The Europeans of the Middle Ages largely eschewed breakfast. Thomas Aquinas, in his Summa Theologica, lists praepropere—eating too soon—as one of the ways to commit the deadly sin of gluttony ; the eating of a morning meal, following that logic, was generally considered to be an affront against God and the self. Fasting was seen as evidence of one’s ability to negate the desires of the flesh; the ideal eating schedule, from that perspective, was a light dinner (then consumed at midday) followed by heartier supper in the evening.

Breakfast was “shunned by most decent folk”; as “it was presumed that if one ate breakfast, it was because one had other lusty appetites as well.”

2 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Breakfast was “shunned by most decent folk”; as “it was presumed that if one ate breakfast, it was because one had other lusty appetites as well.”

....... you're talkin' 'bout me, .... ain'tcha ....   <_<

I don’t eat anything after supper so I got a 12 hour fast going by the time I wake up. I eat a small breakfast, nothing big! Bagel or muffin or  toast with some V8 juice and coffee !

Coffee for breakfast. Modest lunch at work. Bowl of cereal and some cookies after work. Supper with my family. Ice cream or something later in the evening cause I'm usually hungry again. 

If I’m working early in the day, I’ll wait to eat until midday. If I am traveling, I’ll eat a modest breakfast before setting out. If I don’t have to work and get to sleep in a little, I will get up, knock around for a little while, and then fix one of those decadent, extravagant breakfasts that I write about on those posts about breakfast.

If I’m on the motorcycle, I also eat a big breakfast, because I probably won’t eat much of a lunch and supper will be after dark, somewhere a long way off!

If I have cereal, I'm hungry an hour or two later. If I have eggs, sausage/bacon & toast, I'm good until 1 or 2 pm. 

I heard the cereal inventor didn't like kids. He probably never imagined cereal costing $5 and up a box.

The missus and I are doing “intermittent fasting” to lose a few Covid pounds.  Eat anything we want between 4 and 8 PM, but only unsweetened water/tea/coffee between 8PM and 4 PM the next day.  Really not that hard and it produces gradual weight loss.  Something to consider if your doctor approves.

I eat breakfast if I feel like it, but mostly I just have coffee and then around 9:00 I may have a banana. What I consider “having breakfast” is usually having something most people eat for lunch or maybe leftovers. Occasionally I will have traditional breakfast food. 
Now, if I have the opportunity to have a sit down breakfast with eggs, toast, bacon, biscuits, etc. I will jump on it but then I usually skip lunch. 

Somehow I eat between 4000 and 10,000 calories most days and still weigh the same as I did 35 years ago. With my sweet tooth I should weigh 900 lbs and have 17 types of sugar disorders by now.

I'm  a slim 240 lbs. :D

So, out of curiosity, beyond the trivia, did the Johns Hopkins professor / virologist have anything to say about the science and wisdom of breakfast? Seems a lot of studies out there support the notion of a healthy breakfast. I won't try to convince anyone that they should or shouldn't eat breakfast, though. What works for any particular person is up to them.

For awhile now my standard breakfast has been Bob's Old Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli, with low fat milk, honey, strawberries and blueberries. I try to get the muesli, milk and honey ready the night before when possible to let the milk soak in and to save time. I add a small cup of OJ and as much coffee as I have time for. If I have the time or the inclination, eggs and some sort of breakfast meat are a good and delicious change of pace. I try to avoid things like biscuits and gravy, French toast and the like, because as my Dad might say, I can "put a hurtin' on" them if you put them in front of me. Then my waistline will suffer accordingly.

In college on weekends most times I eschewed Wheaties, "The Breakfast of Champions," for cold pizza and flat beer, "The Breakfast of People Who Never Remotely Considered the Possibility of Being Champions."

Budweiser, breakfast of champions.

When you're out of Bud, tough Schlitz.   (Courtesy of Cheech and Chong)

Several years ago there was a biker/construction worker living across the street. Ralph referred to Busch beer as "corn flakes", because that's what he had for breakfast every morning.

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Budweiser, breakfast of champions

Some household account books from Regency England show a pottle (look it up) of beer or ale for each person for breakfast and at the evening meal. 

19 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

My mom used to insist that I eat breakfast before school.  Two slices of lightly buttered toast and a glass of milk.  Which I threw up about 15 minutes later.  Finally, in about 1965 Carnation came out with Instant Breakfast.  I had a glass of that every morning from 3rd grade until I was out of high school (DON'T SAY IT!!!!).   Now I have some coffee about 0430, and bring coffee with me to work.  Sometimes I'll get hungry at work, maybe twice a month, and go buy a burger.  
Saturdays I'll fix something around 0900.  Sundays I eat after church, which will be around noon or a little after.

In German class in High Schoool the teacher was asking everyone what they had for breakfast. In German of course.

I answered,  “Instant Frühstuck”.  Which elicited a “Huh?”. :lol:

14 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Somehow I eat between 4000 and 10,000 calories most days and still weigh the same as I did 35 years ago. With my sweet tooth I should weigh 900 lbs and have 17 types of sugar disorders by now.

I'm  a slim 240 lbs. :D

I finally got down to 208 this morning.  28 more to go.

4 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

How many of you had your moms tell you that you had to eat everything on your plate because people were starving in China?

Yup. And when I told her to send the liver and onions I refused to eat (and to this day won't go near) to China dad whacked me good. :D I generally ate everything anyway but that liver and onions just wasn't happening. 

Archived