SASS Wire Forum

Getting Ready

Whiskey Hicks

5 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I picked up a jar of Hodgdon’s Clays and a wet-dry tumbler today. 

I honestly can’t find load data for a 255 grain SWC on the Hodgdon’s website. I left them a message and awaiting a call back.

Any input?

255 gr???

That's a bit more than you really need, I think.

You did not list the caliber but I assume (always a dangerous thing) you are talking about .45 Colt.  Just look at the data for the 250.  Close enough and bullet shape does not make that much difference.  If this is your revolver round why a 255? The recoil won't be fun.  If this is for a rifle the SWC is not a good choice.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You did not list the caliber but I assume (always a dangerous thing) you are talking about .45 Colt.  Just look at the data for the 250.  Close enough and bullet shape does not make that much difference.  If this is your revolver round why a 255? The recoil won't be fun.  If this is for a rifle the SWC is not a good choice.

To be fair, it was available and I could afford the deal.

But yes, .45 Colt.

With that bullet weight I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're loading 45 Colt.

The load they give is for a 250 grain bullet, but five grains of bullet weight will not matter with that large of a slug. Also the load they give is for a round nose flat point, but again, that will not matter.

Screenshot_20210618-132413~2.png

23 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

To be fair, it was available and I could afford the deal.

But yes, .45 Colt.

Yep, right now you have to use whatever you can find.

Archived