SASS Wire Forum

Original Winchester 1873 Hammer question

Snakebite

Are the Hammers on a Original vintage 1873 Winchester interchangeable with a Newer Uberti rifle? I've worked on a lot of Ubertis and a few original Winchesters but never even gave it thought. I just found an original 73 hammer in one of my treasure boxes.

Snakebite

1 hour ago, Snakebite said:

Are the Hammers on a Original vintage 1873 Winchester interchangeable with a Newer Uberti rifle? I've worked on a lot of Ubertis and a few original Winchesters but never even gave it thought. I just found an original 73 hammer in one of my treasure boxes.

Snakebite

Keep doing that and you will be OK.

Snake,

The stirrup is different and the spring is longer.  No, no interchange.

Ol'  #4

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

BUT, if you have a Chaparral, they will fit, along with many other parts.

Which the Chaparral is very likely to

need…

58 minutes ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Which the Chaparral is very likely to

need…

That's somethging that puzzles me. OK, the Chaparral was a turd in a punch bowl. But only because they didn't execute and fit parts correctly. Why doesn't someone buy that tooling and begin a new line, possibly here or even produced in China? Seems like the costly part is done.

Hey Goody  B)

It's simple economics.  Those Halcyon days of yesteryear when there were a gazillion buyers out there are long gone.  The market is a mere shadow of what it once was.  There isn't enough "market" to amortize the startup investment required.  Uberti has about 90% of the market and will keep it.  The Miroku '73 is a "loss leader."  You may note, the Miroku 1866 is now DRT.  Uberti has that market as well.

As an additional, ALL the tooling used by the folks who built the Chaparral is badly flawed.  The basic frames were not correct as the internal parts were crap.  It was the same factory/people who were Armi San Marco.  A sad tail.

Archived