SASS Wire Forum

Breakfast of Vaqueros!

Utah Bob #35998

Huevos Rancheros! :wub:

CEA88A80-0A12-46B0-8661-C972BBECE31C.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Somehow in my 78 years, 40 in southern California with all its Mexican restaurants, I have never had huevos rancheros.  I'll remedy that before the next week goes by.

You need to try several recipes. I’m partial to green Chile sauce. A place in Cortez makes it great. But I won’t turn down a plate with rojo.

If I recall correctly, Huevos Rancheros was John Wayne’s favorite breakfast. 

The best I ever had was at a restaurant in Redondo Beach, CA called “Joe’s”. The second best was a little diner along Interstate 10 in Arizona. It was one of those diners that looked like a passenger train car, only bigger. That was back in 1986, I think. 

54 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Huevos Rancheros! :wub:

CEA88A80-0A12-46B0-8661-C972BBECE31C.jpeg

Did you ever get to Skyliner, back in the day, at Farmington Airport for Huevos Rancheros?

We had folks fly in from Dallas, Tx on Sundays for those!!!

We signed a contract that we would not copy/write/share recipies...wish I had broke that rule.

3 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Did you ever get to Skyliner, back in the day, at Farmington Airport for Huevos Rancheros?

We had folks fly in from Dallas, Tx on Sundays for those!!!

We signed a contract that we would not copy/write/share recipies...wish I had broke that rule.

No, never did. Best I ever had I think was at the little diner in Cuba. :wub:

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No, never did. Best I ever had I think was at the little diner in Cuba. :wub:

Oh yes...

The Cafe on the Albq side??

Man, their green chili was GOOOOOOOOD!!!

Once the old folks passed, the young ones could not compare.

Stopped about 10yrs ago...won't bother again!

I had to leave out the refried beans. Putting on too much weight as it is.

11 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

I'm not a fan of refrieds, either, so you're not alone in that respect:blush:

I’m a fan as long as they’re fresh and not out of a can.

Now if only I had some sopapillas for dessert! 

Bob I have been in withdraw of Santiago’s green chile for some time.  Safeway out there was carrying it and the in laws would bring some out each trip but apparently Covid killed it’s availability.  Green chile is one of those things that goes great on anything…it’s replaced gravy for me on turkey and mashed potatoes even!  I envy your green chile supply!

now for hops….I have fields of those and lots of vineyards….maybe a trade…

Hey Forty,  you might try ordering Huevos Rancheros at Zeke's next Thursday morning. Haven't seen you there the past few weeks, where ya been.

AG

52 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

Bob I have been in withdraw of Santiago’s green chile for some time.  Safeway out there was carrying it and the in laws would bring some out each trip but apparently Covid killed it’s availability.  Green chile is one of those things that goes great on anything…it’s replaced gravy for me on turkey and mashed potatoes even!  I envy your green chile supply!

now for hops….I have fields of those and lots of vineyards….maybe a trade…

I’ll check around Safeway when I’m in town.

I usually make my own with Hatch green chiles, pork bits and some other spices. 
But I haven’t been doing much creating lately so I used Nanita’s this morning. Not bad.

E4A4292B-94DA-4643-AC19-AF7F36A191A6.jpeg

52 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The big question - Tortillas, corn or wheat flour?

Corn always

My favorite Mex breakfast is Chilaquiles.  Not many restaurants have it on the menu.  Easier to find Huevos Rancheros. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If I recall correctly, Huevos Rancheros was John Wayne’s favorite breakfast. 

The best I ever had was at a restaurant in Redondo Beach, CA called “Joe’s”. The second best was a little diner along Interstate 10 in Arizona. It was one of those diners that looked like a passenger train car, only bigger. That was back in 1986, I think. 

If that's the one on the strand. I know it well and agree.

OLG 

I'm going to guess the first time I had Hauvoes Rancheros was some 40 years go in Las Cruces, New Mexico.  It was a sinful amount on a platter big enough to serve a turkey. Smothered with chilli, salsa and shredded cheese on top.  Chorizo sausage and guacamole on the side. 

I've ordered them up sometimes over the years.  But never came close to the first time in volume or combination of ingredients but still good.   I'll still put chilli, cheese and salsa on my fried eggs if we happen to have some. 

On 6/18/2021 at 9:30 AM, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Hey Forty,  you might try ordering Huevos Rancheros at Zeke's next Thursday morning. Haven't seen you there the past few weeks, where ya been.

AG

Been getting a whole bunch of dental work done.  Can't bite, can't chew.  Real PITA.

Got a prospective new CAS shooter I'd like to bring long next week if that's okay.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:16 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You need to try several recipes. I’m partial to green Chile sauce. A place in Cortez makes it great. But I won’t turn down a plate with rojo.

Which one in Cortez UB?

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Been getting a whole bunch of dental work done.  Can't bite, can't chew.  Real PITA.

Got a prospective new CAS shooter I'd like to bring long next week if that's okay.

Bring him, we'd love to meet him and introduce him to CAS and the Whiskey Row Gunslingers. See you next week.

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Which one in Cortez UB?

Beny’s

Stopped at Oliva's on the way back from the worst gun show I've ever seen.

Not impressed with the huevos rancheros, but he y didn't have any green sauce and they were pretty much bland.  First time I've ever gotten a less than great meal there.  JFWIW they make marvelous meals there as a general rule.  I love their flautas.

Zeke's Eatin' Place was closed for vacation.  There is a group meets there every Thursday morning at 0700 hours.

Went to The Dinner Bell instead.  Much better.  Next time I'll have then leave the lettuce (garnish) off, save half the beans, and order corn tortillas, but it was GOOD!

Thanks for the tips.

Archived