SASS Wire Forum

I don't even know how to title this

DeaconKC

Today went to the Bass Pro Shop in Destin Florida looking for a hat. As I entered there was a young man at the door, doing the little "Hi would you like a credit card?" thing. Usually I just roll past quickly, but the way he spoke was a bit thick sounding, so I slowed down just so he wouldn't feel bad. Took the little flyer as it was good for $20 off your first purchase. Shopped around and did find my new hat for $40 so I went and got the card. He was thrilled and I kind of thought he might be a bit slow, so it was nice to cheer him up. While the lady was helping me sign up, the store manager and some other folks went over and were taking a picture with him. The lady helping me told me they are so thrilled for him, as he has inoperable brain cancer, only about 5 years to live. He has already survived 2 brain surgeries. He loves to be there, everyone there loves him, and I was his tenth credit card approved, so he got a little attention and a bonus.

Sorry, the keys are getting a little blurry right now...

Good on you Deacon. :)

I may have my issues with Johnny Morris and how he does some things at BPS and how he ruined Cabela’s, but the people that work there are great. 

Thanks, Deke.  You'll remember this for the rest of your life and so  will he for what time he has left.

CAN SOMEONE MOVE THIS RESPONSE TO A THREAD OF ITS OWN?  THANKS.  I didn't mean to highjack the good Deacon's thread.

When I was in the restaurant business running three Ponderosa Steak Houses in the Peoria-Pekin area I was known for hiring "strays".  

I inherited a young lady with Downs Syndrome who out worked almost anyone else in the place.  She lived in a group home because her parents were elderly and couldn't deal with her.  She was a favorite of my regulars, especially the hard core, unsentimental drivers for the teamsters union who met there every Wednesday.  She cried when I told her she had a week's vacation and didn't have to come to work.  The lady from the home came in and helped me explain that she wasn't being fired, and she would get paid for the time she had already worked.  We told her she could do whatever she wanted to do during that week. 

The next Monday she was back and I asked her why.  She said that I told her she could do whatever she wanted and she wanted to eat there and have someone treat her like a customer, but sje still fetched coffee and baby seats.

I had the only black kitchen boss on the "restaurant row" in Peoria.  The NACP asked why I didn't have more.  Danny told them why and pulled no punches.

I hired a young highway patrol widow with three daughters.  She was French and spoke English rather poorly. ....at first.  Every Friday night she came in with her daughters and got supper for them all.  She was another favorite of my customers, especially the ladies.   She was the most charming and upbeat person I ever worked with.

I hired a beautiful young eighteen year old woman who came in with her sponsor.  She had escaped from a pimp in a city way south of there.  He had her working the streets from the time she was thirteen.  She rapidly earned her way to my chief greeter and knew every little kid for miles around.

My chief cook was a severe stutterer.

The man I trained to be my replacement was a superior mechanic who just wanted to get away from the family business and became a cleanness freak.  He put himself though college in his free time.

I had a head waitress who was an epileptic.

There were a few others, about ten percent of my entire crew over the time I was there.

That young man with the inoperable brain tumor should check with the Mayo Clinic, either Rochester, MN, or Scottsdale, AZ, and M.D. Anderson.  They are using proton beam radiation that can kill tumors with minimal damage to adjacent tissue, especially in the brain!  There is also a new treatment involving a head band and a backpack that helps shrink brain tumors.  Know of two people in metro-Denver that are wearing these periodically during the day, and doing wonders!  (Don't know who prescribes this, however.)

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

CAN SOMEONE MOVE THIS RESPONSE TO A THREAD OF ITS OWN?  THANKS.  

Howdy Forty,

I haven't found a way yet to  pull one comment out of a thread and make a new thread out of it.   But, you can copy and paste it as a new topic, and then I can delete this here for you.

Eli

Archived