SASS Wire Forum

Odd 20 gauge round?

The product information provided for the shells ... (shown on the page you have linked) ... states that the shell is specifically designed to be a turkey round.

It even says ... quote > " As a nice bonus, Federal donates a portion of the profits they make from this box of hard-hitting shells to the National Wild Turkey Federation."

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not all full of shot either.  Not sure I want want to risk my teeth on a turkey full of tungsten #9 shot.

They shoot for the head and neck with the heavy load of small shot.  They make very tight chokes for 410 specifically for shooting wild turkey. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?searchTerm=Turkey+choke+tube

10 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not all full of shot either.  Not sure I want want to risk my teeth on a turkey full of tungsten #9 shot.

Head shots. A wounded turkey is a gone turkey.

8 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Head shots. A wounded turkey is a gone turkey.

I doubt the turkey my daughter dispatched with her 2" barrel Rossi 3/8 5 shot revolver was hit in the head.  Where she lived one year there was an issue of a flock of turkeys hanging around her & her neighbor's property.   The poop on the patio wasn't the worst damage they did.  They ruin paint jobs on vehicles.  Just before Thanksgiving a hen would spend most of the day on her patio & roost on her car.  To chase it off permanently my daughter use the Rossi.  As she told me she didn't want to kit it.  So she pointed in the turkey's direction & pulled the trigger.  Back then you could walk to within a few feet of turkeys in CA.  A few years before then the only place outside a zoo you would see them is on the grounds of a prison.

I head shoot them with the shotgun. Rifles and pistols, not that I ever have, would theoretically be a body shot.;)

We started to have enough turkey season some 50 years ago.   The popular gauges were 12 and 10 gauges.  Shells loaded with #2, BB, 0000, etc. The idea being that a shot in the body that would generally pass through the bird or be easy to find.  H&R made single shot long tom 10 gauges with really long barrels just for turkey hunting. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023917215

I have several perfectly good 12 gauges, think I'll pass. I somewhere have some R-P 2x6's 3" mag. Only gun ever knocked me down. I was patterning it sitting on a log and it bowled me over. Not sure I'm mad enough at a turkey to touch one of those off! :lol:

JHC

42 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I have several perfectly good 12 gauges, think I'll pass. I somewhere have some R-P 2x6's 3" mag. Only gun ever knocked me down. I was patterning it sitting on a log and it bowled me over. Not sure I'm mad enough at a turkey to touch one of those off! :lol:

JHC

I busted a log on a retaining wall today, totally rotten and i tried standing on it.

Yellow jacket nest in it!

Two of them got me, and at that moment, I was mad enough to set one of those off. The nest did get a dose of spray, and a second dose later in the afternoon. But totally tearing apart that corner of the wall with a 3" full charge does have a certain appeal.

Archived