SASS Wire Forum

The point of diminishing returns

Alpo

Let's pretend that the national Firearms act does not exist. Obviously there is no such thing as a "short barreled rifle".

While a 16 inch lever gun is handier than a 20 inch, it looks like a 12 inch would be even handier. But a 12 inch would only have room for about 6 rounds. Maybe seven.

If you could get a lever action rifle with a short barrel, how short would you go before you decided that the truncated magazine capacity made it not worthwhile?

People get pretty obsessed with barrel length.  At our matches the rifle and shotgun is picked up and shot and put back down in the same spot.  So it's hard to say there is an advantage to short barrel. 

Having said that, I'm more likely to choose my Marlin 1894c or my Marlin 1894 SRC in 32WCF just because of the lighter weight.  The little Marlin 1891 is a pleasure to handle even with 28" barrel. The 1873 Winchester Miroku stays in the safe. 

What about the Mare's Leg?

Oh, up til just now, I thought it was old-west authentic, turns out it was made for a movie in the '50s...

But still, six rounds of .44-40 or .44 special is as good as many revolvers. And holsters are available. Have often thought about getting one someday just for fun. And since holsters are available. it has at least BBQ potential.

Considering Derringers only have two rounds, I would not take the Mare's leg out of consideration. 

I would go as short as six rounds of barrel length as long as the business end was above my knee joint. Shorter than that (in terms of round count), I have better options for the woods, the city, the home, and looking good at a BBQ.

35 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

16.25"

..........Widder

I’m with Widder. 

Legal standards aside, I find 16.25” to be a real sweet spot for ease of handling, capacity, velocity, and feeling/looking like a lever carbine should. 

I have no interest in short rifles.  A 20" barrel is as short as I would probably go, for a rifle. FWIW I don't own a rifle with a barrel that short.  I just don't like the look.  I could use an AR with a 10" barrel and I still wouldn't win any CAS matches.

Same thing with a shotgun.  Unless it's a riot gun I don't like anything shorter than 26".  Although 26" barrels on a TTN make for a heavy gun.  I might shoulda opted for the 20" barrels on that one.  

Angus

10-12" 

To expand on what @John Kloehr said, the 12" Ranch Hand is handy.  Canadians report it does especially well with a proper butt stock.  357 mag gets a strong boost from the compact carbine.  Cutting off the 4" is just enough for the thicket.  Make it a revolver if 8" is cut off.  Capacity is not a concern for a deer rifle.

most of my lever action rifles are 24" but three are 26", 27 1/2" and 28".

My shotguns are a 26" double, a 26" pump, and a 30" pump.

I have an 18" .222 pump carbine and a 30". .50 muzzle loading mountain rifle.

Barrel length is whatever feels right to me, not what is stylish or looks good..

15 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Canadians report it does especially well with a proper butt stock. 

Last year somebody posted a picture of his rifle. He got numerous responses saying he should take the picture down as that rifle was illegal as hell.

It seems that he is in England, and he bought a ranch hand, and took the butt stock off a 92 Winchester and put it on there. Looked like a very handy little rifle. Unfortunately we can't have one. Well we can but it takes another $200.

I like short barrels. My favorite lever action doesn’t get any work at a match, at least not since my first couple matches. It is a 94 Winchester trapper in 44 mag. 16.25” barrel and hold 9 rounds of 44 mag. It doesn’t work reliably with specials, I have tried. I bought it as a match to my superblackhawk before I ever heard of cas. 
it is a great brush gun for hunting!  
if it was possible, I think one of the 14” original trappers, maybe even a 12” would be great fun. Alas I have a better chance of winning the lotto than getting a SBR in California. 

I got to handle a Marlin 1893 in .32-40 with a 14" barrel.  Short barrel rifle caliber lever guns were popular with trappers about 100 years ago.  Very handy and light as they wanted a brush gun that could down a bear or wolf while they worked their traps.

Archived