SASS Wire Forum

Wonder what they would do if you did not comply

Alpo

Book I'm reading, the Coast Guard has just pulled this boat over. They tell them through the bullhorn, "DO NOT THROW ANYTHING OVERBOARD".

Now if I had four or five square groupers, it would do me no good to toss them. They float. But if I had say uh, 10 kilos of coke in a bag with a 50 lb weight, and I'm in 50 fathoms of water, what could they do if I threw it overboard? They would certainly suspect that I was disposing of drugs, but unless they got a little mini submarine, I don't think they're going to get it. Ticket me for littering the ocean?

That brought to mind something I saw recently on NCIS. The suspect says, "I don't give you permission to take my DNA", and Gibbs says, "We have a court order", we're upon the suspect calmly opens his mouth to let Abby swab his cheek.

If they show up at my house with a search warrant, and I refuse to let them in, they can legally kick my door down.

But if I tell them I don't care about their court order, and refuse to let them take my DNA, what would they do? What could they do?

They would restrain you and take a sample, via a blood draw if necessary.

36 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Been there.  Done that.  Got the sample.  

54 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My wife used to make extra money pulling those samples when we were both younger. She said some weren’t always initially cooperative . 

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

My wife used to make extra money pulling those samples when we were both younger. She said some weren’t always initially cooperative . 

Yeah. Drunks can be....frustrating.

When asked, best to just voluntarily provide them with a sample. 

giphy.gif.c98f0ac6a9fdc7d9c35c97ace0815026.gif

8 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I don't know what they would do .. but ... THIS ... (really) is an "official" Coast Guard firearm training target!! -_-

coastguard.jpg.7810e3474aa800e6f57a5c26cce355d5.jpg

Now I find that very interesting! Thanks for the post

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

Book I'm reading, the Coast Guard has just pulled this boat over. They tell them through the bullhorn, "DO NOT THROW ANYTHING OVERBOARD".

Now if I had four or five square groupers, it would do me no good to toss them. They float. But if I had say uh, 10 kilos of coke in a bag with a 50 lb weight, and I'm in 50 fathoms of water, what could they do if I threw it overboard? They would certainly suspect that I was disposing of drugs, but unless they got a little mini submarine, I don't think they're going to get it. Ticket me for littering the ocean?

That brought to mind something I saw recently on NCIS. The suspect says, "I don't give you permission to take my DNA", and Gibbs says, "We have a court order", we're upon the suspect calmly opens his mouth to let Abby swab his cheek.

If they show up at my house with a search warrant, and I refuse to let them in, they can legally kick my door down.

But if I tell them I don't care about their court order, and refuse to let them take my DNA, what would they do? What could they do?

50 fathoms is only 300 ft, so recovery is fairly easy by an experienced diver. I’ve been to 250’ so an extra 50 feet just means some extra decompression time. 

15 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah. Drunks can be....frustrating.

2 backboards and a roll of medical tape, then just lean em in the corner. i bet I can restrain and get a sample

Always loved it when someone would tell me that. Obtained the sample every time. Was always freely given then. I think my give-a-way was the smile I had on my face and how much I wished they said that.:lol:

An older Inspector I used to work with, (I was the Purchasing Agent, not an LEO) would have just used his night stick and picked up whatever was needed, from the end of it.

Was watching a show with my youngest son and turn o the 20th century cops were using sticks for 'crowd control' and he said all indignant 'they can't do that can they?'.

I said let me introduce you to the phrase tune em up.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

An older Inspector I used to work with, (I was the Purchasing Agent, not an LEO) would have just used his night stick and picked up whatever was needed, from the end of it.

I was thinking similar. They won't let you swab their cheek, so you punch them in the nose and get the DNA off the blood on your fist.

Probably get sued. B)

Usually, Gibbs just offers them a cup of coffee.  When finished, they test the cup.  Works for prints too.  At least, it works on NCIS where the writers make it come out the way it needs to.

Archived