SASS Wire Forum

First of the year

Chief Rick

@Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062,

The colored lines indicate different predictions as to where a possible formation will go. Another term used for the different models is "spaghetti" models, cause that's what they resemble. 

I believe truth be known, they probably use this method of prediction! :o

tenor.gif.60020189cb3391b243b787676defa1cb.gif

It's another reason for news hype. It's a thunderstorm over the ocean. Until it achieves hurricane status and threatens landfall.    Meh

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

It's another reason for news hype. It's a thunderstorm over the ocean. Until it achieves hurricane status and threatens landfall.    Meh

News hype?  Ever been through a hurricane? 

If not, then you don't have a clue what you're dismissing.  Ever been through a tornado?  If so, imagine a tornado that's a 100 miles wide and lasts about a day.  That gives you a bit of an idea of what a hurricane is like.

Most of their current tracks puts it going right over a major tourist area- one that was extremely hard hit just a few years ago by a major storm.  PM Alpo or Father Kit and ask them what it looked like after the storm (other than the devastation rained down on Pensacola NAS- that made the world news) and how the area still isn't completely recovered from the storm.

No, I've got no problems with folks tracking anything that even looks like a hurricane and saying, "Hey Ya'll, look at this!" when something starts acting like it wants to make landfall.

Yep to both. Born in Pasadena TX and have had 2 tornadoes jump over the house. At this point they have no idea what it's going to do or who it might threaten. Until:

a. It gains power

ii. It turns cat1

And

3. They have a valid track it's a thunderstorm in the gulf.

Sailors beware.

I'm headed to Florida today to visit family from central mo. Mom and pop weather 'canes on a regular basis. If it pops up to cat3 or above pay attention. 

People build houses and towns in these places and then act surprised when acts of nature that have been happening for literally EVER happen. Mudslides wildfires 'nados 'canes drought flood. And the news gets all breathless and hypes it up.

They happen, if you build your town on the coast it might get stormy.

Not downplaying Katrina say, but that was 15 years ago. They don't happen that often and we can track em....

And what happens when we tell folks better get out? They look at ya.

My point is it's natural. Not even a hurricane yet and news cycle started. They even name snow storms now

15 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Yep to both. Born in Pasadena TX and have had 2 tornadoes jump over the house. At this point they have no idea what it's going to do or who it might threaten. Until:

a. It gains power

ii. It turns cat1

And

3. They have a valid track it's a thunderstorm in the gulf.

Sailors beware.

I'm headed to Florida today to visit family from central mo. Mom and pop weather 'canes on a regular basis. If it pops up to cat3 or above pay attention. 

People build houses and towns in these places and then act surprised when acts of nature that have been happening for literally EVER happen. Mudslides wildfires 'nados 'canes drought flood. And the news gets all breathless and hypes it up.

They happen, if you build your town on the coast it might get stormy.

Not downplaying Katrina say, but that was 15 years ago. They don't happen that often and we can track em....

And what happens when we tell folks better get out? They look at ya.

My point is it's natural. Not even a hurricane yet and news cycle started. They even name snow storms now

You may think that it's all just "news hype" but that is not why local and national news provide updates on storms like this...which, by the way, is a tropical storm. Although it is not forecast to become a hurricane, it is forecast to dump 8" to 12" of rain over a huge area in a short period of time. If I lived in the projected path, I sure as hell would like to know what the "thunderstorm in the gulf" is doing. 

As far as "people built houses and towns in these places"......seriously? No matter where you build, weather related destruction is always possible. The whole "should have known better" part of your post is an ignorant and pompous statement that shows no first hand knowledge of hurricanes or the damage that they cause.

I sincerely hope that you never have the misfortune to experience a major hurricane but if you do, I guarantee that you won't make statements like you did above.

I've gone through several big blows and been directly impacted by three and have never found them trivial nor fun.  Too much of drought, rain or wind  gets old very, very quickly.  I pay attention to the weather reports very carefully between June the first and November 30th.  

Residents of New Orleans are all saying "Oh s......., here we go again"!

I am going to be in the projected area tomorrow, on pupose. Somewhere from Orleans to Orlando according to the projections. Now the entire gulf coast is worried and scared and surely will tune in at 5. 

I look at the weather. And I believe that everybody has to make their own decisions. I know why you put a hatchet in the attic. But again my point is I prefer solid information, not hype or speculation. 

Why does the weather channel have an anchor that will stand in a knee deep puddle to cover a flood or outside in a hurricane?? Does he lack sense?? Or is it for a skewed view of the situation and to create fear and viewers? 

I'm probably pompous and am fairly independent. I know I'm very confident in my skills, I prefer to prepare and self rescue. I own spare roofing material, live rural and assume that the power is going to fail. And since my septagenarian parents live on the Atlantic coast in Florida every hurricane for the last 15 years has been weathered. If a person chooses to build in a flood plain or known storm zone THEY assume the risk of that choice. Can't act surprised later. Pay attention to your environment, prepare, react.

We just left Destin this morning, heavy traffic as folks are heading North to avoid the storm. Having seen the results of hurricanes as we traveled in years past, I can only say to be praying for those folks who cannot leave for whatever reasons.

I was in Valle Crucis, NC this week, near Grandfather Mtn and Boone.  There were marks of high waters on the door jambs, up to four feet above ground or many feet above the nearest river.  These water marks coincuded with hurricanes that came north from the gulf.  More hurricane deaths in the NC miuntains than the NC coast is what I have read.

Archived