SASS Wire Forum

Alliant's Sport Pistol Powder and .45 Colt

Mountain Man Gramps

Alliant says their Sport Pistol powder has characteristics like low flash that make it ideal for coated lead bullets  I have been using it for about two years with 38 special and 357 magnum cowboy rounds and like it.  Alliant publishes load data for several cowboy calibers but not .45 Colt.  Since I have a bunch of it, I'd like to use it in my 1858 Uberti replicas.  Does anyone know of any 45 Colt load data using Sport Pistol with a 250 grain RNFP coated bullet that will give a velocity between 750-850 fps?  Could you also please let me know the source of that information?

I went through Alliant's website and checked all the Sport Pistol loading data I could find and found nothing.  Then I did a Google search and found this link:

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/alliantsportpistoldata10217.pdf

It's a link to a load table published by Alliant for Sport Pistol but unless I'm blind it's not listed in the Sport Pistol section.  It's the most complete Sport Pistol table I've found yet and includes .45 Colt, but its on the AccurateShooter.net website.  Go figure that...

I called them a few months ago and they said the website was all the information they had. I guess since then they have released additional inormaton. Like they say, hindsight is 20/20.

I don't believe that the AccurateShooter website is one that Alliant publishes.  Although it LOOKS professionally done, it seems to have come from some person or organization other than Alliant.  So, the Alliant tech you talked with most likely was being honest with you,  

The home page could be: https://www.accurateshooter.com/   but because the .com and the .net type sites are usually not both owned by the same organization, the data I'd guess did not come from AccurateShooter.com, either.

As such, I would be real careful in using the data, and certainly start lower and work up to the max loads that are found on that website.  Compare the AccurateShooter.net data for the other calibers for which Alliant does publish data and see if it is similar and makes sense with solid Alliant data.  This data does not have the "pedigree" that I normally like to see - like contact information for the person/organinzation that published it.

good luck, GJ

I just compared a couple of loads that are on the Alliant site and on this AccurateShooter.net site.  One for a 147 grain 9MM load, and a 230 grain .45 Auto load, both using FMJ slugs.  The load data and velocity are exact matches between Alliant's on-line data and AccurateShooter.  This leads me to "guess" that Alliant was the original source of the AccurateShooter data, but that NOW they no longer publish data for the .45 Colt when in the past they did.   That would be an additional warning flag to me that Alliant no longer believes this is a useful powder for .45 Colt, which has much lower maximum pressures limit than the more modern cartridges for which Alliant recommends Sport Pistol powder.

GJ

I  just called Alliant and they confirmed the data is their data and is good.  They said the website has not been updated but the data is in their manual which they are sending me.

MMG

It's certainly best to check when the information you are getting has different content depending upon who publishes and where the data was found.

Sounds like you can safely use Sport Pistol in .45 Colt following that data.

Of course,  a 250 grain slug is not what I have settled on in .45 Colt loads for Cowboy shooting.  Pretty healthy recoil.  But your criteria for a good load may well be something different than mine.

good luck with it, GJ

16 minutes ago, Mountain Man Gramps said:

I  just called Alliant and they confirmed the data is their data and is good.  They said the website has not been updated but the data is in their manual which they are sending me.

MMG

They were right.  The newest manual is online in pdf format.  The 45 Colt data follows.  There is a load that meets your specs.

image.png.773a861289dd4640478e4026ed8e3d7d.png

Archived