SASS Wire Forum

Just how popular is the Lightning?

Well, here in this neck of the woods, you can count the Lightning shooters and not run out of fingers.  On one hand.

Lightning shooters are actually seen as "entertainment."  If they aren't having a Train Wreck, they're about too. 

52 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Our grandfathers learned 100 years ago that levers go on rifles pumps on shotguns.  Think about it! What do you see for sale and what do you see at the range

That’s because Remington hadn’t built the 760 back then. I think they might sing a different tune now. 

Irish-Pat... 

Well, I'm one of those grandfathers ... but in 1955 I got my first rifle which had a pump on it; it was a model 62A Winchester .22 short pump rifle - which I must have put a zillion rounds through over the years - and that started my continuing love for pump rifles. I still have it.

RR

Ole Elrod and Nevada Turtle swore that the best Caliber to run  in a Lightning was .38-40 .....

At big shoots up here you might see up to 2 of them but usually just the One .... 

Jabez Cowboy 

Necked cases like .44-40, .38-40, and .32-20 feed well because the smaller neck and bullet feeds more easily into the cartridge-sized chamber. There's also a lot less blowback from the necked cases than from the straight-walled .45LC and .357. (Because of the straight design of the Lightning's bolt - unlike that of the '73 and '94 - the Lightning is generally prone to blowback.)

RR

I got a PM asking if I knew why Pedersoli is no longer showing Lightning rifles on its web site. Pedersoli is very much still making Lightning rifles. They recently updated their web site and left the Lightning rifles off the site because they are reorganizing the Lightning model line and will announce the new lineup in a few months.

RR

Archived