SASS Wire Forum

Yay Texas! Constitutional Carry Law Signed.

Raylan

6 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Atta boy Governor Abbott. :D

Hey...sniffin' joe...you like apples????

How 'bout them apples!!!!!!

You too, beto!!!

W.K. 

...... you're holding back, .... ain'tcha ...   :)

36 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Oh...the Governor will be signing eight (8), count 'em, EIGHT...PRO-gun laws, not just this one only...AND, the best part is...he will sign them into law....drum roll please.....at the ALAMO !!!!!!!!!!!! :D

'Nuff said!!!

W.K. 

This needs an awesome button.

:FlagAm:  

And a Texas flag emoji.

The Governor will be signing the laws at the ALAMO, which include the following:

1. Permitless Carry (it was signed today, but will be included in the larger bill signing event tomorrow, at the ALAMO!!!

2. Texas will become a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary State to help preserve the 2nd Amendment against sniffin' joe and his cronies. 

3. Firearms protections during disasters and/or states of emergency.

4. Texas Suppressors - Suppressors manufactured in Texas and bought and used in Texas, will attempt to exempt from Federal laws.

5. Additional protections during disasters and/or states of emergency

6. Anti-discrimination. The State will no longer do business with private businesses that discriminate against the gun industry.

7. Hotel Bill. Keep firearms in your room when staying there, and carry them back and forth from your room to the your truck/automobile.

8. The License to Carry Holster bill... allows the individual to choose the the type of holster for open carry. The current law has requirements. 

I did not go into detail here, but it can be looked up, on-line, for more information.

W.K. 

Bravo!!

Dont Mess with Texas

While all of those are very good, number 2 on the above list might be the be most important. 

5 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Isn’t #7 redundant?

It is for places that posted no concealed carry allowed. This permits a person entry to and from thier room as opposed to having to leave thier handgun in the car. It allows them protection to and from their room.

4 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

It is for places that posted no concealed carry allowed. This permits a person entry to and from thier room as opposed to having to leave thier handgun in the car. It allows them protection to and from their room.

A hotel/motel is one of the worst places to leave your firearm(s) in a vehicle. Too many times at big SASS matches, someone has left their guns in their vehicle only to come out in the morning to find them stolen along with other items. I've seen it at least 6 times in the last 24 years of SASS. It had nothing to do with hotel policies, just laziness. 

Hurray for Texas, I wish Florida would do the same while we still have a pro-2nd Amendment government.

"Cold water" question.

How is it "Constitutional Carry" if the Governor signed legislation?  Legislation can be unligislated by the next guy in office.  Seems that "Constitutional Carry" would require amending the state's constitution, thus making it immune to changing political majority opinion.

Inquiring minds want to know.

20 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

"Cold water" question.

How is it "Constitutional Carry" if the Governor signed legislation?  Legislation can be unligislated by the next guy in office.  Seems that "Constitutional Carry" would require amending the state's constitution, thus making it immune to changing political majority opinion.

Because it sounds good! Even the progun politicians have to worry about getting elected again!

20 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

"Cold water" question.

Usually constitutional carry is when anyone who is constitutionally allowed to carry (ie not a prohibited person)to carry without any permitting.  Not that it’s in the state constitution.   Yes it’s a law so it can be repealed.  It is possible that the Supreme Court could change this with a case this year, but I expect they won’t go as far as creating national constitutional carry.    Imho I expect the best case is that every state will have to be shall issue and not may issue. 

I envy you pards.

I also like #6 (as well as #2), but in the long run, I think #6 will have a greater impact.

Especially if other states followed suit!

6 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Interesting. In Kansas, a business can't restrict CCW unless they have some sort of security system like metal detectors and a guard. That's new within the last 3 years or so. Up to that point, just posting a sign was sufficient. Some places still post the sign, but it doesn't have the force of law.

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Interesting. In Kansas, a business can't restrict CCW unless they have some sort of security system like metal detectors and a guard. That's new within the last 3 years or so. Up to that point, just posting a sign was sufficient. Some places still post the sign, but it doesn't have the force of law.

Any business that restricts CCW should be required by law to have armed, full-time security.

Here in Ohio a business can  choose to post a No Gun sign and we can choose to not go there!:angry:

19 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

...Up to that point, just posting a sign was sufficient. Some places still post the sign, but it doesn't have the force of law.

And some businesses I think draw up their own sign (which holds no legal weight) and post it expecting people to adhere to whatever cartoon the business owner thinks is appropriate. Anyone who has paid attention in concealed carry class will know that only one particular sign designated and distributed by the state of Kansas and positioned in the proper location on the entrance doors matters.

Concealed meaning concealed if done properly should not alert anyone to the fact somebody is carrying. I have never personally seen anybody "busted" by an anti-gun business owner for proper concealed carry. That said, in Kansas all the business owner can do is ask them to leave and if they don't it becomes a trespass charge if I remember correctly.

This one deserves to be posted again here. Thanks, Pat. :D

image.thumb.jpeg.b06c213db1ab26ee731f53baa0046ed3.jpg

21 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Usually constitutional carry is when anyone who is constitutionally allowed to carry (ie not a prohibited person)to carry without any permitting.  Not that it’s in the state constitution.   Yes it’s a law so it can be repealed.  It is possible that the Supreme Court could change this with a case this year, but I expect they won’t go as far as creating national constitutional carry.    Imho I expect the best case is that every state will have to be shall issue and not may issue. 

Prohibited person was created by GCA '68. prior to that didn't exist. NFA'34 was about what GUNS were legal, '68 started talking about people and licenses.

Archived