SASS Wire Forum

One more time: the last gun I'll ever buy.

Just got an Ithaca Model 37 in 20 gauge from a fraternity brother.  It was made in 1951 and the receiver has been chemically stripped and reblued....or maybe just blued over the original finish.  Whatever, the rest is in great shape.

This is the eighth Model 37 I've owned, and the first 20 gauge anything I've ever owned.  I don't ever recall ever having fired a 20 gauge before, and the first seven were all 12 gauge guns.  Just plain Feather Light, ribless guns with the corn cob front end.  Now, I would have rather have had another 12, but the Yavapai College gunsmithing course uses Ithaca 37s and Remington 870s for project guns and you simply don't see the Ithacas anymore.....so I've crossed another threshhold into 20 Gauge World.

I have stated in the past, many times...that I am done buying. 

I have not been able to keep my word, so I have decided that until I go under, I won't ever again say I'm done. 

I wasn't fooling anyone, but myself, anyway. 

Congratulations on your purchase.  

W.K. 

Just a coincidence but I picked up a Ithaca 37 20 Gauge two weeks ago, Mine was made in 1939, It was on the bargain rack at a local gun shop for $250 the action was crunchy and overall just plain dirty  anyway I couldn't resist and it came home with me, I spent a couple hours cleaning it up and was pleased to find it in really nice condition, The bore is as shiny as the day it left the factory and the action smooth it's missing some blue but I'm not as old as it is and I'm missing some of my original finish too.  As light as it is I think it's going to spend some time with me when dove season starts.

There was this M1 Carbine sale at MidwayUSA... and the retirement fund was just sitting there...

After I bought my S&W model 25 a couple of months ago my wife asked me if that was the last gun I needed. I laughed and said “Yep, I don’t need any more…I want quite a few, but I don’t need any more.”

I got a dirty look…

11 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

After I bought my S&W model 25 a couple of months ago my wife asked me if that was the last gun I needed. I laughed and said “Yep, I don’t need any more…I want quite a few, but I don’t need any more.”

I got a dirty look…

I always ask my wife what need has to do with it...

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Just got an Ithaca Model 37 in 20 gauge from a fraternity brother.  It was made in 1951 and the receiver has been chemically stripped and reblued....or maybe just blued over the original finish.  Whatever, the rest is in great shape.

This is the eighth Model 37 I've owned, and the first 20 gauge anything I've ever owned.  I don't ever recall ever having fired a 20 gauge before, and the first seven were all 12 gauge guns.  Just plain Feather Light, ribless guns with the corn cob front end.  Now, I would have rather have had another 12, but the Yavapai College gunsmithing course uses Ithaca 37s and Remington 870s for project guns and you simply don't see the Ithacas anymore.....so I've crossed another threshhold into 20 Gauge World.

I have had a 20 gauge Ithaca since I was a kid it too is the Featherlight but with the full rib. I think it is older than me because my father said he had it for a long time. Your 1951 vintage would be just a little older than me so mine might be around that age. 

When I lived in Kentucky as a kid we had a guy come around every so often to spray for bugs and when he went by the gun cabinet he would stop and admire it. He would also tell me to let him know if I wanted to sell it. Then he would just keep on spraying.

1 hour ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I always ask my wife what need has to do with it...

I was very lucky when I found the woman who became my wife.  Over the years she bought me about a dozen guns outright and suggested I buy a dozen or so more.

When we fell on hard times and I had to sell my Belgian Browning High Power she cried.  Four years later she bought the same gun back for my birthday present.

Yea I just bought my last gun, a S&W model 19 brand new!! That's it now!:P

Oh wait I forgot about the S&W Shield and the Pietta .36 Navy! Whoops!!

I have one 20 gauge, a Mossberg 500.  It was my brother's gun, and it will be his daughter's when she's old enough to appreciate it.  I have one 16 gauge, an Ithaca Model 37.  It was my dad's, and it will be my son's or grandson's when I'm gone.  

At this stage in my life, I'd rather have time and ability to shoot the guns I have than add to the collection.  That said, I'd take a second blued Ruger Single Six Birdshead in 32 H&R, if one was available at a modest price.  Just so I'd have a pair, don't cha know?

One more time: the last gun I'll ever buy.

17 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You know, saying “The last gun I will ever buy” will cause really cool guns and fabulous deals to appear right before your very eyes, right? ;)

Usually what happens to me is I find a great deal or that elusive “Grail Gun” right after I have bought a gun that I wanted and I have no money left over. 

THE LAST GUN I'LL EVER BUY!?!?!?

What a question!

What a hoot!

Oh wait, I think I know!!

It's the one I see and want just before I stop breathing!

8 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

THE LAST GUN I'LL EVER BUY!?!?!?

What a question!

What a hoot!

Oh wait, I think I know!!

It's the one I see and want just before I stop breathing!

The next one of course!!!!:lol:

I firmly believe that it guns are left unattended in the big metal box for more than 30 days, they germinate.  

Just thinking;  If a cowboy gun only shoots blanks, kinda like the ones the mounted shooters use, shall we call them gelded single actions?

Archived