SASS Wire Forum

Is SASS a CMP affiliated Club?

Doc Holloman

Last time I asked this the answer was no. I joined the Garand Collectors Association for $25.

I belong to GCA (although I when I asked I was having trouble finding my GCA membership card.)  I'm also retired military which counts, so I was really asking for general information.  

30 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

SASS is not a club.  Local SASS affiliated clubs might participate in the CMP.

The Coto Cowboys was a SASS Club...

:ph34r:

Wasn't supposed to ever mention that name...oops...

CMP is the quasi-Federal organization that sells many surplus US firearms, in support of it's main mission of improving marksmanship skills in the general population.  Currently now selling a few 1911 pistols and Garand rifles.  Located in Anniston Alabama.  Further info - go to THECMP.ORG on the web.

SASS (big organization) is not a CMP recognized marksmanship training program.  I, like Cholla, joined the Garand Collectors Association three or four years ago, which checked the box for "belonging to a recognized marksmanship organization"   that is needed to apply to buy a US surplus firearm FROM THE CMP.

NRA is not a CMP recognized markmanship training program, either.

But, some SASS local clubs or their master (supervisory, sponsor) club are accredited for CMP purposes.  It does not take a lot to become one.  Wish SASS would apply to become one.

SASS is not a club

That is a matter of size only, the way most folks use "club".   CMP affiliates some big organizations, like GCA.  SASS is a membership-based sporting organization.  It certainly trains and promotes safety and marksmanship.  I think our Range Officer training program meets and exceeds most criteria for that.  Perhaps we would need to emphasize "use the front sight" a little more, though!  :lol:

good luck, GJ

5 hours ago, Doc Holloman said:

I belong to GCA (although I when I asked I was having trouble finding my GCA membership card.)  I'm also retired military which counts, so I was really asking for general information.  

If you have kept up on your GCA membership the CMP has access to your info.

17 hours ago, Doc Holloman said:

Title basically says it.  Does SASS membership fill the CMP membership requirement?

Doc sends.

Since I don't read anywhere on SASS website that says they are, I'd say, "No".

20 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

But you probably have to compete under your real name to use it. 

A note from a club officer explaining the exact correlation between your alias and your real name would probably suffice.

Where's proof of marksmanship activity come for members of the Garand Collectors Association?  Many of those members never fire their mil-surp guns.

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

A note from a club officer explaining the exact correlation between your alias and your real name would probably suffice.

Where's proof of marksmanship activity come for members of the Garand Collectors Association?  Many of those members never fire their mil-surp guns.

good luck, GJ

The marksmanship activity is separate from the affiliated club membership.  Even if it possible that a SASS club could satisfy both.  I use my LTC for the marksmanship part.  Some people use their status as current or former law enforcement or military.  I wonder what % of CMP customers actually have to turn in proof of competing in a match of some sort.  In the circles I run in, everyone interested in a CMP gun has an LTC, is a cop, and or is a vet. 

There's lots of different "circles" in the firearms community.  Not just concealed carry, cops or vets need to be trained in marksmanship and gun safety.  In fact, they are not the main group who the CMP's main mission serves, if I read the CMP mission statement correctly.   Youth shooters learning the ropes come to mind as a major focus.  And most of them probably have to provide some match scores, since they don't have the benefit of "other qualifications".  

But I'm glad CMP has a big tent view of it's clientele, and includes lots of types of shooters in it's friends.

good luck, GJ

Archived