SASS Wire Forum

Imperfections, inequities and subjective scoring

Creeker, SASS #43022

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I am seeing a few shooters that are doing their level best to be right at the minimum.  Impossible to challenge them as no one has access to the standard for comparison.

How difficult is it to obtain the components and have someone load up a box of test loads?

- Standard .38 Special case.

- 1 cc GOEX 2F powder.

- Federal Standard primer.

- 145 grain bullet lubed with SPG.
- Powder lightly compressed with a medium roll crimp.

SHB pp.25-26
image.png

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would an official/approved list of powder/charge/caliber/bullet combinations that meet the standard help folks?

I remember a while ago that Captain George Baylor had a list of things that he personally tested, several different calibers, powders, charges, etc, but there was nothing official about his testing.

Even he would say that while x may appear to meet the standard based on the people that were observing the test, others may not see it the same way.

I do agree with @Phantom, SASS #54973 that this is a problem dealing with subjectivity without a real easy answer.

42 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

How difficult is it to obtain the components and have someone load up a box of test loads?

SHB pp.25-26
image.png

All my personal loads are made with Magnum primers, however, I keep one sleeve of federal standards just for making these rounds for MDs and such when they would ask me for some. I am currently out of 145gn bullets, though...

Archived