SASS Wire Forum

Science fiction comes true Edited with PICS!

Utah Bob #35998

Watching an old B movie, The Day Mars Invaded Earth. 1963. It starts with a rocket landing a rover on Mars! Although it looks more like a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a juicer, the concept is the same.
It didn’t last long though.

The dang Martians fried it. But it was way ahead of it’s time! :lol:

41649C13-7646-4174-A3C8-DA15CD05570B.jpeg

E554F4CC-91A9-464B-833E-9651931B2DB2.jpeg

Another science fiction item we grew up with that has become reality:

Dick Tracey's watch phone.... or phone watch, that he wore on his wrist.

Won't be long till we are wearing a Star Trek device on our shirts for communications.

..........Widder

9 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Won't be long till we are wearing a Star Trek device on our shirts for communications.

..........Widder

The flip phones were a direct off-shoot of the Star Trek communicator.

19 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The flip phones were a direct off-shoot of the Star Trek communicator.

I still have mine  fun to take to phone stores now and ask I think i may need a up grade 

flip[ phone.jpg

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to Science fiction comes true Edited with PICS!
6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Watching an old B movie, The Day Mars Invaded Earth. 1963. It starts with a rocket landing a rover on Mars! Although it looks more like a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a juicer, the concept is the same.
It didn’t last long though.

The dang Martians fried it. But it was way ahead of it’s time! :lol:

Durn yer leathery hide, Bob...!  :lol:

I was trapped here writing a story and found the movie on YouTube.  Watched it to the end, even.  :rolleyes:

Sort of a "thinking man's" science fiction; relies on thought and imagination instead of special effects.  

Oh... and the rover wasn't the only thing the dang Martians fried!  :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Anybody remember this one?

resources?rid=dd19867258e49320a51f0a965c

Interesting.  When I clicked on that and hit "Open in new tab"  I got "l3harris-w2.prod.fire.glass... is taking too long to load."  

What makes it really interesting to me is that L3 Harris is a company that sends a lot of work to the shop I work at.

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Interesting.  When I clicked on that and hit "Open in new tab"  I got "l3harris-w2.prod.fire.glass... is taking too long to load."  

What makes it really interesting to me is that L3 Harris is a company that sends a lot of work to the shop I work at.

I think I fixed the picture

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.590a0ed00b5f93801804809ae38bb313.jpeg

It’s getting bad. A lot of sites I sign in to now want me to swear I’m not a robot!

13 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Durn yer leathery hide, Bob...!  :lol:

I was trapped here writing a story and found the movie on YouTube.  Watched it to the end, even.  :rolleyes:

Sort of a "thinking man's" science fiction; relies on thought and imagination instead of special effects.  

Oh... and the rover wasn't the only thing the dang Martians fried!  :ph34r:

They really saved on costuming. :P

19 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

https://d3ecqbn6etsqar.cloudfront.net/ovYmYCfZe5SjtEH46kNWPcD5H2Q=/1440x720/smart/116024.jpg

I remember mine! Loved that phone.

Even met  couple members of the design team many years ago. From the conversation, it was not so much that Star Trek predicted the product as it was that team members were fans of the original series and were inspired.

22 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

https://d3ecqbn6etsqar.cloudfront.net/ovYmYCfZe5SjtEH46kNWPcD5H2Q=/1440x720/smart/116024.jpg

I had one of those for work. Liked the phone....hated the Nextel....beep, beep, beep....beep, beep, beep. Whoever came up with that should have been staked to a fire ant mound.

I still have my flip phone and love it.

Fits right into the watch pocket of my jeans, so I don't have to carry a slim brick in my hands.

Did that thirty years ago, when they first came out.

Not going backwards.

I saw a tee shirt yesterday that said “Let’s make Orwell fiction again” I asked the guy wearing it where he got it but he said it was a gift. 

On 6/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

I'm still wishing for the BlasTech DL-44 Blaster to become a reality. Unfortunately the Dems probably won't allow any of us to own one. :unsure:

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I saw a tee shirt yesterday that said “Let’s make Orwell fiction again” I asked the guy wearing it where he got it but he said it was a gift. 

https://makeorwellfictionagain.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Orwell-Fiction-Again/s?k=Make+Orwell+Fiction+Again

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

..... needs to be a bumper sticker too ......   :)

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... needs to be a bumper sticker too ......   :)

here it is

Make Orwell Fiction Again - Bumper Sticker/Decal (10.5” X 3”) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08867B2TZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Q767BXYQ67FXP4Q65009?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still using a flip phone. It's LTE IV capable( whatever that means) . I haven't had to replace a busted phone since I started carrying one. The younger guy I was working with had to replace three smart phones because of busted screens while I worked with him. Guess I'm a luddite,  don't want something thats smarter me.:blush:

Archived