SASS Wire Forum

Lightning owners at EOT

Johnny Knight

Hi all,

New shooter here, trying to get on the same page as my AWA Lightning in 45 Colt.  I've only shot at two matches so far, so still trying to get the hang of things.  First match featured a few hang ups and cycling out of live rounds.  Fewer issues with the second match, but still had some.  Between the matches, I had picked up a half dozen snap caps to practice with.  Using those, I had fewer stove pipes.  Since then, I've loaded rounds exactly like my ammo, sans primer and powder, to have an exact match.  While obviously a lot more practice is in order, I was curious as to whether the gun itself still needs some attention.  From what I have gathered, it seems fairly common for the lightnings to need to be 'dialed in' to improve reliability.  That coupled with rigorous cleaning.  As such, I'm interested with visiting with other lightning owners to get whatever additional input I can on learning this rifle.  Who all is going to be at EOT who won't mind a new shooter pestering them with a few questions?

Johnny

^^What he said^^

Thanks, I'll try to track them down.  Giving the lightning a good cleaning atm.  Hoping to work in one more match this weekend before heading to EOT Monday.  Do you know if anyone has the parts diagram for the AWA?  Roger was kind enough to send his manual for the Taurus model, which he said was closest to the AWA, but I've discovered at least one difference in the way the bolt is connected.  Trying to make sure that I don't mess anything up in trying to give it a good cleaning.

Regards,

Johnny

Hopefully you have noticed that the bolt and locking lugs are held together with a SCREW.  Colts and others use a pin.  (Taurus is completely different it uses a spring clip.)  If you whack on the AWA screw to try and remove it like you would do in driving out the Colt pin you may damage it and make it very difficult to remove.  The AWA is close enough to a Colt you can use that diagram for most things.  Shine a flashlight into the large takedown hole on the right side of the receiver and you may be able to see the screw slot.  It is a lot easier to see when the upper and lower receiver parts are separated and a lot of light can get in there.  Another minor quirk is that the magazine tube screw has a conical washer on it that fits into the tube cap.  If you lose it the cap won't stay secured.  Top photo is a screwdriver in the slot of the takedown SCREW.  The second photo is the mag tube cap washer.  Other than that it is pretty much like a Colt.

DSC_0004.jpeg

DSC_0007.jpeg

Yes, I noticed the screw, that is what highlighted the difference to the Taurus model.  It threw me at first since there is a hole opposite it that looks like it was made for a pin punch to drive the pin out.  Fortunately, I kept looking and noticed the screw slot on the right side.  With the appropriate screwdriver, it came right out.  I took pictures of it to send to Roger, in case he wants to add that to his manuals.  I just wasn't sure what the other differences might be, so thought it made sense to ask before finding out the hard way.

Update-Roger sent me a list of differences between the Lightning models, so more things to look out for....

Thanks to Roger and everyone on the list as I learn more about the gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from EOT, managed to catch up with both Lassiter and Boaz.  Wanted to say thanks again for the advice they gave on running a lightning.  Despite being swamped with duties as a Match Director, Lassiter took the time to look at my rifle and identify a couple of issues I'll need to address, starting with the mainspring.  Boaz also offered some insight as well, despite being busy running a posse.  It was enjoyable watching both of them shoot their lightnings.  So, time to get to know my rifle better.  My understanding is that there isn't anyone down near Texas that does any work on these, so looks like another skill set to pick up......

Archived