SASS Wire Forum

The GUNS of the LITTLE BIG HORN

Pee Wee #15785

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/G0760.pdf     Page 28

also look at page 6

GUNS IN THE NEWS

the 2nd article

Springfield, Ohio: United Auto Workers Union Local 272 stipulated in their contract with Quick Manufacturing Co. that the first legal day of rabbit and pheasant season be a

paid holiday for union members.

Timely bringing up of the article as I spent this past Saturday at the Little Big Horn Battlefield National Park.

Walking amongst the somber marble gravestones in the cemetery aligned in neat rows contrasted against the haphazard marble and red markers that dot the ground signifying where soldiers and Indians alike actually fell and their bodies were recovered.

The firearms portion of the museum an underwhelming case with an 1860, 1866 rifle and Springfield carbine.  Along with a singular SAA revolver.

The only other firearm of note was a replica of Sitting Bulls 1866 rifle with tack adornment and Four Nations symbol carved into the stock.

I found myself falling into teacher mode and discussing these firearms and their (very simplistic) history (i.e. things like Oliver Winchester purchasing Volcanic, why the 1860 was called a Henry rifle - but is really a New Haven, the 1860 loading method vs the 1866 with Kings patent loading gate, the difference between rimfire and centerfire, etc.) with a number of folks in the museum

The Little Big Horn trading post across the street had a number of books for sale with various perspectives regarding the battle from both sides.

But most interesting was a display of an English DA Bulldog revolver claimed to be one of the two Custer pistols (as noted in the article referenced above).

Thanks Pee Wee, I spent 45 minutes just looking at the ads.....M1 Garands $80, Broom Handle Mausers $45 and so on. Fantastic nostalgia.

Now I'll read the articles!B)

I was up there years ago. I think the most revealing and enlightening information on the guns present came from the archeological dig that uncovered fired cartridge cases and bullets and their locations on the battlefield.  

44 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I was up there years ago. I think the most revealing and enlightening information on the guns present came from the archeological dig that uncovered fired cartridge cases and bullets and their locations on the battlefield.  

I remember seeing a documentary on TV of the findings that occurred after a large grass fire helped to uncovered the shell casings. They were able to tell what calibers were used and from the locations trace how the troopers worked in skirmish lines as they moved as well as where the Indians were shooting from. It was a great Documentary.

I liked this:      

Springfield, Ohio: United Auto Workers Union Local 272 stipulated in their contract with Quick Manufacturing Co. that the first legal day of rabbit and pheasant season be a paid holiday for union members.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:02 AM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Timely bringing up of the article as I spent this past Saturday at the Little Big Horn Battlefield National Park.

Walking amongst the somber marble gravestones in the cemetery aligned in neat rows contrasted against the haphazard marble and red markers that dot the ground signifying where soldiers and Indians alike actually fell and their bodies were recovered.

The firearms portion of the museum an underwhelming case with an 1860, 1866 rifle and Springfield carbine.  Along with a singular SAA revolver.

The only other firearm of note was a replica of Sitting Bulls 1866 rifle with tack adornment and Four Nations symbol carved into the stock.

I found myself falling into teacher mode and discussing these firearms and their (very simplistic) history (i.e. things like Oliver Winchester purchasing Volcanic, why the 1860 was called a Henry rifle - but is really a New Haven, the 1860 loading method vs the 1866 with Kings patent loading gate, the difference between rimfire and centerfire, etc.) with a number of folks in the museum

The Little Big Horn trading post across the street had a number of books for sale with various perspectives regarding the battle from both sides.

But most interesting was a display of an English DA Bulldog revolver claimed to be one of the two Custer pistols (as noted in the article referenced above).

I've heard about those markers before and I still wonder how the heck they know where they actually fell and the bodies were recovered.  Unless somebody marked each spot at the time, and those markers went undisturbed thru all these years, how could they possibly know?

I understand about the recovered shell casings and extrapolating locations and movements from those, but the bodies?  I'm a bit skeptical.

Angus

29 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

I've heard about those markers before and I still wonder how the heck they know where they actually fell and the bodies were recovered.  Unless somebody marked each spot at the time, and those markers went undisturbed thru all these years, how could they possibly know?

I understand about the recovered shell casings and extrapolating locations and movements from those, but the bodies?  I'm a bit skeptical.

Angus

There's every possibility a map was generated as to the body's locations prior to burying them in the mass grave on the hill.

It is a great place to visit and "relive" the battle.

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

There's every possibility a map was generated as to the body's locations prior to burying them in the mass grave on the hill.

It is a great place to visit and "relive" the battle.

That is exactly what was done. 

As most of the body recovery was began three days after the battle completion, most soldiers were unknown and had endured the battle, any coup counting or trophy taking, weather and animals as well.

This made the recovery and documentation very important.

The marble markers on the battlefield do not say names; but simply US Soldier.

The archaeology showed that some of these locations were likely spurious.  The scholarly works on the archaeology have the best information. They compare the physical record with the historical record and discuss why and how the historical accounts changed over time. The evidence shows that some of the early Indian accounts of the battle were quite accurate, and the traditional “last stand” account is bunk.  Very interesting reading.  

Archived