SASS Wire Forum

IWB Holsters for EDC

McCandless

In all these years, I've never tried an IWB Holster for my EDC compact 9.   It's a single stack 1911-type compact 9 that I carry in the warmer weather.  Usually with an untucked shirt over the OWB holster.

Being a bit "portly", I was wondering if an IWB Holster would print a bit less.  

Figured there might be a few here who have the experience and might share?  

Like 'em?  Hate 'em?  Comfort??

Thanks,

~Duc~  (what tries his best not to waddle)

On 6/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I’m slim, hence my alias. I prefer IWB because it does print less and also doesn’t take much shirt length to cover it. The only downside is my pants need be an inch wider than normal to accommodate it. Kind of a pain if I happen not to be carrying. 

Not worth a crap if you need to wear suspenders as I do.  I don't have enough meat to use a belt unless I hook it up to my suspenders.  Of course in Arizona I don't much care if someone knows I'm carrying or not, so I use a 1911 or a Colt Government .380 or a 9mm Star 43 depending on my mood.

A5 your age it may be difficult to get used to an iwb holster. There are a number of them made now that are much more ergonomic than in years past. Using neoprene padding and thin, lightweight carbon fiber you may be able to find one you can live with. I’ve been using them for decades in all their various breeds and can get used to almost anything.

I tried to get used to 2 different IWB holsters and I tried one of those “sticky” holsters. I just couldn’t get used to them and really didn’t like them. I couldn’t get comfortable no matter what position I tried. I dumped the 2 holsters I had, but kept the sticky holster as it works great as a pocket holster. 

I have two, a nylon one for my 442 revolver and I just ordered a leather one for my Shield 9mm. I’m somewhat overweight but I don’t have a big gut to worry about so they feel fine.

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I tried to get used to 2 different IWB holsters and I tried one of those “sticky” holsters. I just couldn’t get used to them and really didn’t like them. I couldn’t get comfortable no matter what position I tried. I dumped the 2 holsters I had, but kept the sticky holster as it works great as a pocket holster. 

Me neither. Not even with a Sig P938 (about the same as a Colt Mustang). With my commander size 1911, one wrong move risks raising my voice pitch a couple octaves.

As a retired LEO, having tried many holsters, I finally found one that is exceptionally my favorite......see the link below....I've worn mine for several years now, and it still looks almost new.....

N8 Tactical The Revenant IWB Holster - Concealed Carry IncConcealed Carry Inc

As a Fat Guy I think that I'm qualified to respond. I wear an IWB holster (right handed) just to the right of SOB, with the grip on the right side, reverse of what most people do. It's also canted to where the grip is almost straight along the belt. I can conceal a 1911 there, though I usually go with a 3" .38.

When I go for a draw, the back of my hand goes against my back, allowing me a full grip on the gun as I draw it.

For me (not a portly guy but not not exactly slim) it comes down to the size of the pistol and what I'm going to be doing.

A Glock 19 is more difficult to comfortably carry than a Glock 26, which is more difficult to comfortably carry than a Sig P938.

I like the Gunfighters Inc Wraith holster in appendix carry but I want to try the Solace Hybrid.

10 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

To uncomfortable.

Trust me on this....

OLG 

I wear one every day 10-12 hours a day, that's got a full sized pistol in it, and have been for decades.  It ain't that uncomfortable once you get used to it and figure out the best position to carry it.

Trust me on this...

33 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I wear one every day 10-12 hours a day, that's got a full sized pistol in it, and have been for decades.  It ain't that uncomfortable once you get used to it and figure out the best position to carry it.

Trust me on this...

Are you using leather or kydex?

I could never get any IWB holster to feel 'rite'.

OLG 

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

CR, I disagree about the 19.

Found it to be one of the most comfortable carry guns I have ever owned, in a OWB holster. Along with one spare mag and compact flashlight. 

OLG 

I was speaking specifically for IWB.  With an OWB holster, the G19 is absolutely no problem and even preferred.

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Are you using leather or kydex?

I could never get any IWB holster to feel 'rite'.

OLG 

Leather.

Mostly a Don Hume PCCH these days since I'm back in a Combat Commander/Para P.13 phase again.

Fat guy here. I have used for years the Bianchi Model 3S Pistol Pocket for a steel frame Commander. It is made from thick, soft leather and is very comfortable. Reinforced mouth for good re-holstering.

Archived