SASS Wire Forum

One thing I miss about the old Saloon is the...

Utah Bob #35998

numbering of the posts. Used to be you could refer someone st a specific numbered post in a thread if they missed an answer to a question. It came in handy in a multi response thread.

Things change, NOT always for the better.  I miss some of the folks who have passed away or moved on by their own choice or have been excommunicated.

Things are different now.

When is considered the "OLD WIRE"?? I joined the SASS Forums in 2002.

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to One thing I miss about the old Saloon is the...

I miss all the free sasper drinks I could get on UB tab. :)

I remember when we had a train robbery thread going on. I found a glitch in the software where I could go back in the thread and insert a post. (I was one of the train robbers). For example, if someone came in and said "We'll head them off at the pass", I would go back a couple of posts and say we are going the other direction. Calamity Jane (the original one) discovered the glitch soon after and we led the posse on a wild chase for a number of days!

Fun times.:D

I wish they would put numbered posts in this forum as well as the wire forum.  With all the twinkies and snowflakes posting it would a lot nicer to say "the Bozo in post 9 hasn't the foggiest idea what he is talking about" than run the risk of someone else miscounting and thinking they are the Bozo.

20 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I wish they would put numbered posts in this forum as well as the wire forum.  With all the twinkies and snowflakes posting it would a lot nicer to say "the Bozo in post 9 hasn't the foggiest idea what he is talking about" than run the risk of someone else miscounting and thinking they are the Bozo.

Quoting is simpler. And just to avoid confusion, you are post number 7. Unless the mods delete something, that will change post numbers.

14 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I think the guy in post 8 is . . .

6 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

... just before post 9. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Correct.

So who's correct? The guy in post 8, or John Kloehr? About what? Or is he just post 8 before 9? :blink::wacko:

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I remember when we had a train robbery thread going on. I found a glitch in the software where I could go back in the thread and insert a post. (I was one of the train robbers). For example, if someone came in and said "We'll head them off at the pass", I would go back a couple of posts and say we are going the other direction. Calamity Jane (the original one) discovered the glitch soon after and we led the posse on a wild chase for a number of days!

Fun times.:D

That's an alias I haven't heard in many years.

What ever happened to her?

OLG 

16 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

So who's correct? The guy in post 8, or John Kloehr? About what? Or is he just post 8 before 9? :blink::wacko:

Precisely.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That's an alias I haven't heard in many years.

What ever happened to her?

OLG 

They stole her name, that's what happened to her. She paid for a gold badge, which meant she had that alias forever, and then they took it back.

I joined in 06, I think.  It was a lot more rowdy and you could say things and show things that would get you excommunicated nowadays!!  And what I’m talking about isn’t the “vulgar language or innuendo” as much as it is the open and frank, (at times) dialogue that is now considered confrontational or worse, Politically Incorrect!!

Boston John and Longshot Logan are no longer with us. Others are gone too!  My buddy, Tennessee Stud is permanently exiled, (he does look in once in a while, and sends greetings to his friends).

It’s like the Ritz Cracker commercial from long ago, where the guy is trying to counterfeit Ritz Crackers and he’s showing his copies to some gangsters. The head gangster takes a bite, chews on it for a second and then says, “Just don’t taste the same!”

Things change…

Numbered posts WOULD be a welcome thing.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Ya know what they say, when folks are talking about the Bozo, and you don't know who it is, it's probably you! 

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

They stole her name, that's what happened to her. She paid for a gold badge, which meant she had that alias forever, and then they took it back.

I remember that CF. Black eye on SASS for sure!

What happened with  her after that?

OLG

Lt. Col. Martha Jane Canary (pretty sure that's what she ended up with) is Canadian. She would occasionally cross the border to shoot with somebody or other. Maybe the "taking guns into and out of the country BS" became a little much.

Last I heard she had made a cannon. 1-inch bore.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

According to her, Calamity was a Canadian (from Manitoba), and they did not want the registered alias of an American old west icon like Calamity Jane outside of the U.S.   She gave up CAS and returned to figure skating competitively for her age group.  She was a figure skater in her younger days.  I used to enjoy reading her posts as they were so well done, and she played the Calamity Jane part to the hilt.

The Calamity Jane incident must have been after my time but before my time now. I left in 2006, returned 2016.
Years ago the Saloon was a barrel of fun. The stories that everyone participated in and actually followed the rules of storytelling, unlike today when something in the water must make people A.D.D. prone. :rolleyes::blink::lol:

I also remember the Wire vanishing for days and losing my login credentials and having to essentially start over. I remember signing on and accessing a thread and it taking a few minutes for the thread to open because someone posted a photo or the system was locked up. I remember the Wire going down and was down for days, maybe a week and when it came back everyone’s clock and post count started over. 

So some things aren’t what they were but some things are much, much better. We could make this like the old Saloon again, of course we could never replace the people that are no longer on or with us. :(

Many of you were in the Saloon years ago. 

My favorite times in the Saloon were our Irish Cattle Company threads / stories. Those were fun times indeed. 

Pat Riot, Co-owner, Irish Cattle Co.

And then there was the political forum I believe it was called. Not family oriented fer sure. But boy could some name throwing go on there. A lot of trolls to keep things excited.:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I joined in 06, I think.  It was a lot more rowdy and you could say things and show things that would get you excommunicated nowadays!!  And what I’m talking about isn’t the “vulgar language or innuendo” as much as it is the open and frank, (at times) dialogue that is now considered confrontational or worse, Politically Incorrect!!

Boston John and Longshot Logan are no longer with us. Others are gone too!  My buddy, Tennessee Stud is permanently exiled, (he does look in once in a while, and sends greetings to his friends).

It’s like the Ritz Cracker commercial from long ago, where the guy is trying to counterfeit Ritz Crackers and he’s showing his copies to some gangsters. The head gangster takes a bite, chews on it for a second and then says, “Just don’t taste the same!”

Things change…

Tell Studley I said 'HI'.

Haven't heard from him in a very long time.

OLG 

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

Same here. He was mad at me for some reason. 

I miss a lot of old regulars, including Nubbins Colt and Sixgun Shorty, though both have checked in a couple of times over the last year or two. 

I really enjoyed Texas Man's tales of the border.

I came here in 2004, so 'new old' I suppose....

20 years in The Saloon for me. Don't think there'll be many more.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG 

Me and J. Mark had a nice long lunch with Studley a couple of weeks ago!!  He’s doing well and said to say hello to everyone and especially you and Doc Shapiro!!  Also said to holler at 40 for him!!

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

20 years in The Saloon for me. Don't think there'll be many more.

Mine are just about over also. What a trip it has been though.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Me and J. Mark had a nice long lunch with Studley a couple of weeks ago!!  He’s doing well and said to say hello to everyone and especially you and Doc Shapiro!!  Also said to holler at 40 for him!!

264B0D93-D07E-4DAA-9F17-9EFC2DF01E0D.png

12 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

264B0D93-D07E-4DAA-9F17-9EFC2DF01E0D.png

UB!!!  Studley still has a cannon ball and some stuff that he wants you to have!!

PM me and I will get the two of ya’s hooked up!!!

50DFC3B0-E6F6-49C4-8D56-1FD2F5DCFDDC.jpeg

Archived