Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Militant beaches in south Carolina


Recommended Posts

I usually go to Georgia beaches but every one was tired of the same thing and asked to go out of state.  Myrtle beach was requested. 

 

Every day something has been broken in the condo.  The first night for hours upon hours the room next door had a smoke alarm malfunction.   The dishwasher was broke .  The next morning the toaster.   The next the kitchen faucet was leaking and needed replacing and a giant fan to dry the floor.  

 

In top of that, the rule is the beach chair vendors set the line where you can put yours.   We usually carry a cheap square tent that we set low but at Myrtle it is illegal.   Only 7 ft umbrella behind and 10 feet away from the vendors umbrellas that line the majority of the beach.  

 

We had to remove the square tent that is just big enough for 2 chairs tge first day.  The second day we were threatened with a 500 fine or 30 days for having our umbrella too close to the vendors.  

 

A swimmer was just off shore in waist deep water swimming a life guard whistles at him and another one swam out to him to get him on shore .  He stood up and the water was to his waist.  

 

Then, 2 girls were in shallow water on an intertube and they were whistled at and forced on shore by life guards.  

 

No one seems to answer the front desk at several tries, a request for a manager went unheaded and the toaster was never replaced.  

 

Then someone pooped on the water slide and then got in the pool so poop floated by.  

 

We were not happy.   Kids suddenly wished we had gone elsewhere.   

 

Forget about seafood.  46 a person, 24 for kids and no menu items just buffet at most places and wear gloves.   If you can order from the menu it is an hour or more to get it they say.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I realize that if you are not a local, this advice may be hard to apply - but I don't do public beaches.  Too many crowds, unruly behavior, smoking, heavy alcohol use, etc.  We most commonly go to beaches on the barrier islands that are State preserves - no bridges, no roads, no parking lots; you need a boat to get there and back.  Very family friendly.  If that is not possible for some reason, we head for Town-owned and supervised beaches.  Here, you need to be a local with a parking/beach sticker on your windshield.  Very well supervised, no craziness allowed, but no Nazis either.  Rules are posted and enforced, but reasonable.  My bottom line: if possible, stay home and use your State/local beaches that are not open to or frequented by the tourist crowds.  

LL

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I realize that if you are not a local, this advice may be hard to apply - but I don't do public beaches.  Too many crowds, unruly behavior, smoking, heavy alcohol use, etc.  We most commonly go to beaches on the barrier islands that are State preserves - no bridges, no roads, no parking lots; you need a boat to get there and back.  Very family friendly.  If that is not possible for some reason, we head for Town-owned and supervised beaches.  Here, you need to be a local with a parking/beach sticker on your windshield.  Very well supervised, no craziness allowed, but no Nazis either.  Rules are posted and enforced, but reasonable.  My bottom line: if possible, stay home and use your State/local beaches that are not open to or frequented by the tourist crowds.  

LL

State and National Preserves  are also public beaches. They are just generally a bit more difficult to get to. That keeps them nicer. I used to be a Ranger at an off shore park. Deserted most of the time. A big crowd was 50 people. The beach was 7 miles long. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

State and National Preserves  are also public beaches. They are just generally a bit more difficult to get to. That keeps them nicer. I used to be a Ranger at an off shore park. Deserted most of the time. A big crowd was 50 people. The beach was 7 miles long. ;)

 

That's our situation here.  With access limited to boaters, it eliminates the overcrowding.  

 

Of course, there was a time when the government was using our beach somewhat heavily for training purposes....

 

 

609d2f3e2770f.image.jpg

609d2ff481f99.image.jpg

amphibious training1 wwwmassgov.jpg

amphibious training2 wasburn island wwwmassgov.jpg

WASHBURN ISLAND TRAIL.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy.

I havent been to a beach in a l o n g time.

Seems like Im not missing much.

My cactus is blooming brilliant yellow roses.

Best

CR

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I left Cape Cod in 1974... can only imagine how crowded the beaches are today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me a country road in the mountains every time!!  Beaches smell like dead fish and attract mostly the worst locals!  If there are franchised vendors, you’ll either pay for their services or be harassed or herded to a less acceptable part of the beach!!

 

 I can usually find a nice quiet pond or stream if I want to get wet and mom and pop cafes or a country grocery will offer MUCH better fare.

 

If I want seafood, there’s a great fish monger not far away and he has the best flown in daily!!

 

 I take Schoolmarm to the beach and I disappear inland every day!  We’re both happy that way!!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I live on the Gulf Coast. I have not been to the beach in over 30 years. I just do not see the attraction.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived right on the beachcomber for 7 years salt air ruined 3 TV sets. :(

But lots of people love the beach.  I kinda like it .......as long as it’s deserted. Used to get some awesome sunrises.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

 

That's our situation here.  With access limited to boaters, it eliminates the overcrowding.  

 

Of course, there was a time when the government was using our beach somewhat heavily for training purposes....

 

 

609d2f3e2770f.image.jpg

609d2ff481f99.image.jpg

amphibious training1 wwwmassgov.jpg

amphibious training2 wasburn island wwwmassgov.jpg

WASHBURN ISLAND TRAIL.jpg

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/environment/2017/07/29/floridas-wwii-training-left-untold-hazards-oil-speculators/505158001

 

https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/photography/numerical-list-of-images/nhhc-series/nh-series/80-G-264000/80-G-264404.html

 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/local/post-time-fort-pierce-base-helped-military-train-for-day/t3VIhXcBFzHKvSFMo8IBjN/

 

Yup. Ft Pierce (it’s a town not a fort) was a few minutes north of us. There’s a UDT/SEAL museum there now. The beach had a lot of concrete jacks still in place where they practiced demolitions. Even a few of the steel company concrete molds to make the Jack’s. Divers said there was a lot of junk on the bottom off shore. They practiced amphibious ops there from 42-44. Some reasons they liked the site was the topography, oceanography, and remote location. Not much around there during the war.

B0A1527B-A2BD-45D3-BC58-A0FE327D07F3.jpeg

Edited by Utah Bob #35998
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was raised in a Southern California beach town. As soon as I was out of High School I moved inland where it was a little  more country. The town I lived in was a wonderful place when I was a little boy, but by the time I left it was full of hippies, drugs and hooligans. Don't miss it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ALWAYS tell people to head for Pensacola Beach on the Gulf over the Atlantic coast; that said... My favorites on the Atlantic side are Hunting Island State Park in SC (cabins, trailer/RV, and tent camping) or as second choice Skidway Island State Park, GA which has the same as the first but just less of it 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beaches can be serene places. Good for the soul. Like the mountains. But solitude is a necessary ingredient imho.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What's a "beach"?

C'mon Forty, you must remember beaches! When they pack a bunch of Marines with all their combat gear into an open top craft that bounces them around and splashes everybody, then the front falls off and everybody runs screaming out of it, you're on the beach.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy very much where I've stayed in Ft. Lauderdale for several years now. Always a great way to spend the first week in December... business conferences...resort with private beach. Calm. Quiet. Relaxing. But I'll always vote for staying in the mountains of Colorado over beach life anytime. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i like the beeches that you get to by boat , but here they are not as readily found , a lot of them are gravel where i go 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Live 13 miles by car or 10 miles as the crow flies but have not been to the beach in over 10 years. 

 

Crossed the Atlantic 12 times seen enough water.  :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

C'mon Forty, you must remember beaches! When they pack a bunch of Marines with all their combat gear into an open top craft that bounces them around and splashes everybody, then the front falls off and everybody runs screaming out of it, you're on the beach.

Oh, you mean a beachhead.  Never made a water assault.  We had helicopters and rode in style.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alpo said:

I live on the Gulf Coast. I have not been to the beach in over 30 years. I just do not see the attraction.

We are at Destin right now, just had to evacuate our condo due to someone in another apartment burning up something in their kitchen. Downstairs for about an hour, back in now. I'm going to bed!

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I enjoy very much where I've stayed in Ft. Lauderdale for several years now. Always a great way to spend the first week in December... business conferences...resort with private beach. Calm. Quiet. Relaxing. But I'll always vote for staying in the mountains of Colorado over beach life anytime. 

I think some of us may be genetically programmed for the high country. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

It's sorta like Arizona surrounded by Global Warming, melting ice caps and rising sea levels....

 

LL

We have the largest beach I've ever seen, but the surf isn't much to brag about.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

We have the largest beach I've ever seen, but the surf isn't much to brag about.

I miss the painted desert.   My time in Camp Verde was really nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I think some of us may be genetically programmed for the high country. ;)

Ans some of us are partial to deserts: Utah deserts, California deserts. Nevada deserts, Arizona deserts...... I like the ones with mountains the best, but I'm not all that fussy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I miss the painted desert.   My time in Camp Verde was really nice.

That is misnamed.  No one could possibly do justice the the painted Desert with man-made paint.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.