SASS Wire Forum

M97 adjustment sleeve help

Fill Yer Hand

I purchased a model 97 e series takedown trap gun and had my gunsmith look it over, he found the adjustment sleeve to be worn out and in need of replacement. I believe there are different types of sleeves that Winchester made throughout the production of them. Anyone know which one would be the correct one? Thanks 

There are 5 different ones maybe 6, they have number on them on the side of the top rim. If you can fine a no. 3 that should work. The model 12 use the same sleeve for 12 ga. Try eBay or Numrich. Some time you can use a triangle file and put 1 or 2 extra notches on it but no more then that, may help.

Rob

To be more specific the previous owner or gunsmith had filed an additional notch in the sleeve to give it more adjustment. There are no marking as far as letters or number to indicate what sleeve type it is. I know the model 12 has the same type sleeve and don’t know if it would help. They do seem to be more available.

26 minutes ago, Kid Rodelo said:

To be more specific the previous owner or gunsmith had filed an additional notch in the sleeve to give it more adjustment. There are no marking as far as letters or number to indicate what sleeve type it is. I know the model 12 has the same type sleeve and don’t know if it would help. They do seem to be more available.

Completely different.

NuLine Guns in Rhineland, Missouri, carries these parts.  They bought a ton of the remaining Winchester spare parts a few years back, and have been a major Winchester service center.  Great service on parts orders, in my experience.

http://www.nulineguns.com/

good luck, GJ

23 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Completely different.

I have to disagree. I have a tool to remove the adjusting sleeves, in the instructions it states that the 97 and Mod. 12 sleeve are the same. If you go to Numrich site they use the same part number for the standard sleeve for both the 97 and Mod.12. There may be a different sleeve for the Mod. 12 16ga and 20ga as the tool has a smaller opening on the other end.

Rob

19 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

I have to disagree. I have a tool to remove the adjusting sleeves, in the instructions it states that the 97 and Mod. 12 sleeve are the same. If you go to Numrich site they use the same part number for the standard sleeve for both the 97 and Mod.12. There may be a different sleeve for the Mod. 12 16ga and 20ga as the tool has a smaller opening on the other end.

Rob

Referring to collar ...

I have used the brass shim on 97's as something of a last resort, but I found them to work pretty well.  You can't "shim" it out too far, of course, but one is usually all you need.  It's inexpensive, which might also be a plus.

3 hours ago, Newt Ritter said:

I have used the brass shim on 97's as something of a last resort, but I found them to work pretty well.  You can't "shim" it out too far, of course, but one is usually all you need.  It's inexpensive, which might also be a plus.

I also have used the shims. They used to come 3 shims to a pack. 2 shims are the most I have ever had to use

Archived