SASS Wire Forum

? Cowboys and Coffee

Did Cowboys on the range 'during summer months' actually wear long sleeve shirts, vest,

their pistols,  chaps, hat......... and drink HOT coffee when they got thirsty?

..........Widder

Surrounded by a thousand bovines and their normal bodily functions, a reason to boil your water may have been benificial.  Making coffee's as good as any.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Some good photos at This Link

billy_gallery_01.jpg

billy_gallery_04.jpg

billy_gallery_11.jpg

I like all the white shirts. That bottom picture. There are 12 men in that picture. 8 of them are wearing white shirts.

They have a lot of laundromats out there on the range do they?

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I like all the white shirts. That bottom picture. There are 12 men in that picture. 8 of them are wearing white shirts.

They have a lot of laundromats out there on the range do they?

White, or undyed,  fabric is less expensive to produce than dyed goods.  You can also bleach it in the Sun.  

Hot drinks actually make you feel cooler in hot weather.

A to heavy clothing, ask some of your native American Indians why their ancestors sat in the sun wrapped in blankets and robes.  It creates a thermal barrier so it gets cooler the more layers you have and if it's loose enough to allow any air flow between the layers that helps, too.

27 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Hot drinks actually make you feel cooler in hot weather.

A to heavy clothing, ask some of your native American Indians why their ancestors sat in the sun wrapped in blankets and robes.  It creates a thermal barrier so it gets cooler the more layers you have and if it's loose enough to allow any air flow between the layers that helps, too.

Yeah, I actually tried that hot drink hot weather routine. It sure didn’t work for me in the desert heat.  I don’t buy it at all. 

Same goes for more layers. One layer covering everything but hands and head does work. More layers overheats you, especially in plus 90 temps. 

That was my experience in an experiment I did years ago on a week long desert trip. If it works for you, have at it. I lasted 2 days drinking hot liquids and wearing two or more layers. The rest of the week with cold water and jeans with long sleeve white shirts was actually pleasant. 

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Did Cowboys on the range 'during summer months' actually wear long sleeve shirts, vest,

their pistols,  chaps, hat......... and drink HOT coffee when they got thirsty?

..........Widder

Yes, they wore all that as the weather can change quickly. Hats provide shade and long sleeve shirts prevent dehydration. If your steed decides to get rid of you along side a barbed wire fence chaps save skin

No they had Dairy Queen blizzards delivered and wore tshirts that said “I’m a real Cowboy”!:P:P:lol:

18 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

Seems like the pictures of Arabs in the desert wear a lot of clothing and that is all I know about it

It is quite windy over there from the photos I have seen, the wind makes a big difference.

Archived