SASS Wire Forum

1887 shotgun

Lucky Bastard

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bastard said:

Are you allowed any in the tube for sass. Or do you need to load 1 at a time like a 97?

Yes one or two at a time.

An 1887 will hold 2 rounds on the carrier. Ask around locally and find someone shooting one. they can answer all your questions about an 87 and the mods needed to make it more CAS friendly.

Being good with an 1887 in SASS requires more practice than any other shotgun. mess up loading one and it can really hurt your time.

Here is a video of Deuce Stevens showing loading techniques.

I had one and tried shooting it and I couldn't get used to it. I'm simple minded I guess, hammerless double for me!:o

Really cool guns.  I have seen a few stages written that allow for on the clock stoking of the magazine on 87/97s, but the loading two method is the fastest for most 87 shooters.  If split shotgun targets with movement was a little more common I think I'd prefer the 87 over just about any other gun, but with the 4 KD from one position being pretty standard at the clubs I frequent with only occasional movement I stick with a SxS.

If at all possible find one to try out before you buy one. If you decide you like it then buy one from Lassiter set up and ready for CAS.

Tom's Single Action Shop

Wildenauer, Thomas J AKA Lassiter
675 Crawford Tom's Run Rd
New Lebanon, OH 45345
Phone: 937-687-1039 

BTW he does not answer PMs on the wire or do email. He does business in person or on the phone. Any questions call him he is a great guy and will answer your questions.

BTW Cimarron is supposed to begin selling them sometime in the future. but as of today they haven't said when.

1 hour ago, Lucky Bastard said:

Or do you need to load 1 at a time like a 97?

You dont HAVE to load your 97 one at a time, you may load 2 if you choose to.  It takes more time than dropping one at a time thru the ejection port.

With practice, loading two into a 87 takes the same amount of time as loading one.  Of course, when allowed it is much more fun to stoke it on the clock and positively obscure the entire range in BP smoke! (easy to do with a 10ga '87! :D).

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I had one and tried shooting it and I couldn't get used to it. I'm simple minded I guess, hammerless double for me!:o

I bought two, worked the actions and stayed with my double.  Also, that was before ever hearing of any mods or Lassiter.

1 hour ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

You dont HAVE to load your 97 one at a time, you may load 2 if you choose to.  It takes more time than dropping one at a time thru the ejection port.

Have you ever seen Evil Roy load two in his 97??? You would think he's loading one! 

5 minutes ago, Lucky Bastard said:

No but would love to see a video

I'll see if I can find it!

I switched from a 97 to an 87 last year.  Cut 1 second off my time for 4 SG targets.  Most setup with the 2 shot drop won't let you load the magazine.  Yes the loading takes a lot more practice than the 97 or the SXS.  When you have a train wreck with an 87 you have potential for a major disaster.  just my .02.

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Being good with an 1887 in SASS requires more practice than any other shotgun. mess up loading one and it can really hurt your time.

Can confirm.  I think I've been using an 87 exclusively for 4 years now and I've only been shooting CAS for 7 years.  I'm still faster with my double.  I only know because of fastest shotgun side matches at the annual events.  I like the 87 too dang much to give it up. 

FWIW - I have been using an original, unmodified '87 for 20 years. I have some 97's and a hammered double but the '87 is just too much fun!:D

(I have four 87's; three originals and a Coyote Cap.):rolleyes:

I have been playing with an 87 and getting the hang of it. My normal go to dbl is a TTN hammered gun. I am bringing both to EOT. Still not sure which I will use for the main match. I will try running the 87 for the Plainsman side match. Hopefully I will make the right decision....will find that out next week.

Hochbauer

I have been shooting my 87 for about 4 years now since Lassiter did his two drop mod on it.  Before that is was a disaster trying to load two.  His mod does not allow loading into the mag.  You really have to work at learning how to shoot the 87 and a lot of folks give up before they get the hang of it.  I suggest you start with a double and get use to this game a while before you venture into the 87.

4 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

FWIW - I have been using an original, unmodified '87 for 20 years. I have some 97's and a hammered double but the '87 is just too much fun!:D

(I have four 87's; three originals and a Coyote Cap.):rolleyes:

I have 4 as well. 2 with Lassiter's mod, 1 like new and unmolested and 1 other unmodified that is slightly used.

Sure wish I could stoke one up with real BP and shoot it in Wild bunch. :rolleyes:

I have two 87's.   An original Winchester and an Chiappa in Mare's Leg configuration.

The original found it's way to Coyote Cap for some work, including lengthening the chamber and forcing cone to make it okay for modern 2-3/4" shells.

The question of is it now safe for light smokeless loads is an intriguing one.  I have heard some gunsmiths say yes, and others say no.  I feel it is better to err on the side of caution and say no.  (I feel the same way about my original 93 Winchester, BTW.)

As far as the Chiappa goes, it is out of the box a great shooter.  I'd recommend it.   It's a bit more expensive, but worth it if you wanna go the 87 route.  They are available in the Mare's Leg configuration, which is not SASS legal for some reason, as well as with a 20" no choke barrel.   There is also a longer barrel available, but it is has screw in choke.  

• 1 month later...

Howdy all, sorry I came late to the party, still figuring out the wire (two years later)! Hope someone sees this...

Just got a deal on one of these I couldn't pass up, got it to Lassiter, and hope to have it back soon. Thanks for the video, I've had a hard time finding them, anyone have any links to other instructional videos, or other suggestions on running these guys? Thanks in advance, 

Dallas

On 6/15/2021 at 7:39 AM, Lucky Bastard said:

Are you allowed any in the tube for sass. Or do you need to load 1 at a time like a 97?

Like the ‘97, you can stoke the tube — as long as it’s done on the clock. You may not come to the line with any in the tube. 

This takes far more time than a drop two or drop one loading, which is why nobody does it with an ‘87. 

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Like the ‘97, you can stoke the tube — as long as it’s done on the clock. You may not come to the line with any in the tube. 

This takes far more time than a drop two or drop one loading, which is why nobody does it with an ‘87. 

You can only stoke(fully load)if the stage instructions say to, or it's SOP for the range. Never at the loading table

You don't load the '87 mag when you load 2 shells.

OLG 

I love my 87. It was a big learning curve for sure. I gave up using it at matches for a few months and just practiced with it at home. It's my main match gun now. I'm still not fast with it but I've gotten consistent with it. Get one that's already worked over with the drop 2 mod. I have a pw 87, iac, and a chiappa. All with the mod. The chiappa is by far the best of the 3 imo. The iac is fine and the pw is ok. Could be the difference in who set them up but I'm not thinking so on my 3. Lassiter did the pw87, I did the iac, and I'm not 100% sure who did the chiappa but believe it was Lassiter. Ymmv

Maybe it's quality practice (or lack thereof), maybe it's inherent ability, but despite years of use, I still shoot faster with a 97 than an 87 or double. 

I'm faster with a '97, but the '87 is too much fun not to use.  A CC 006 has been my main match gun for over 10 years, but only after Lassiter set it up.

Coyote Cap told me it was ok to use Featherlites in my original '87, but 80 grains of black was way more fun (no choke, a short barrel, and 3" pipe knock-downs).

On 6/15/2021 at 6:46 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

An 1887 will hold 2 rounds on the carrier. Ask around locally and find someone shooting one. they can answer all your questions about an 87 and the mods needed to make it more CAS friendly.

Being good with an 1887 in SASS requires more practice than any other shotgun.

My vote would go to the French made Darne. ;)

I recently dug mine out of the safe. I bought new it maybe around 2008 or so and had Coyote Cap work it over. Sat in the safe ever since. I'm looking forward to using it soon. I seem to remember there were specific shells recommended for best reliability. Is that still the case?

Archived