SASS Wire Forum

WTB: Sliding Dust Cover for a '73

Taos

I acquired a decent "73 carbine for grandson Buckaroo.  The entire dust cover is missing.

I'm looking for any and/or all the parts to a dust cover.

Cover

Block

Screw

Spring

Sphere

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Some competitors remove those from their race rifles.  Should be some of those folks who will sell them cheap or free.

Not to derail this thread, but why do they do that?  It would seem simpler to just never close the cover.  Does it offer some advantage or perhaps alter the ejection pattern?

11 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Not to derail this thread, but why do they do that?  It would seem simpler to just never close the cover.  Does it offer some advantage or perhaps alter the ejection pattern?

I took mine off to make disassembly for cleaning easier/faster. I’m not sure where it is now though…I’ll look for it. It has to be removed to get the bolt out. 

28 minutes ago, July Smith said:

Not to derail this thread, but why do they do that?  

That question is easy to answer. They never found the indent ball after it hit the ceiling.

Taos, I may have what you want, it will be Tuesday afternoon before I can check for sure.  If you get another from someone else  in the meantime that’s fine.  I suspect my price will be close to VTI’s parts cost.  I will contact you Tuesday and let you know.

Taos,  I was able to check my spare parts this morning and I have what you want.  I removed these from my rifle when I had to install a new extractor.  '73 extractors were not in stock so I had to use an extractor for a '66, which will not open the dust cover when the lever is opened.  So I just took the whole thing off.

Screw is in the block:

IMG-2492.thumb.jpg.003b4cf8d1c3b61c748e99e2c8f421b2.jpg

I checked VTI's parts list and these five items add up to $51.  Send me your check for $50 and I will get them into the mail to you for no additional cost.  If you are interested send me a personal message and we can exchange addresses.

On 6/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, Taos said:

I acquired a decent "73 carbine for grandson Buckaroo.  The entire dust cover is missing.

I'm looking for any and/or all the parts to a dust cover.

Cover

Block

Screw

Spring

Sphere

Thanks

I had  one. Didn't know you needed one. 

Archived