SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 45-70

Bailey Creek,5759

I shouldn't reply... Really shouldn't.

And I probably shouldn't be laughing... Sorry!

But think how bad that rifle would have been if it was made by Remington... He should consider himself lucky!

Now send it to a good GS and re-barrel it in a cool calibre.

Phantom

Did he get a Microgroove barrel?   That has rifling, but it's only 1/3 as deep and has more lands and grooves.  Hard to see without a strong light.

The other type of rifling (standard for most other rifles, and on some Marlins) is the Ballard (cut) rifling.  More expensive to make, but usually much better accuracy with lead bullet loads. 

If it is Microgroove - Either shoot jacketed loads or HARD cast bullets.  Or reline the barrel.

good luck, GJ

I have the same question as above.  Is it a micro grooved barrel.  Micro groove can be hard to see when compared to traditional rifling.  In my experience micro grooves can shoot cast just fine so long as the bullet is generously oversized.  Second question?  Now that he has shot it, how did it shoot?  If the rifle truly has no rifling the gun would not have shot very well.

I remember few years ago on the Cast Boolits forum there was a member that had a new Marlin (I think guide gun in 45-70) that had a bore that was only half rifled.  As in only one or two grooves cut and the rest was smooth.  The sad part was he sent it back and forth to Marlin repeatedly and I am not sure if it ever got fixed properly.

2 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Reckon he got a .410 instead of 45-70?

Nah, I think it was an experimental development limited edition 45-410. :lol:

Kajun

I have two of the JM Marlin 1895 Rifles.  One I bought new and the other used and have shot them in several Long Range Competitions.  I have retired them in favor of my discovery of the JM Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55.

After reading this now I want to pull them from the safe and check the rifling.  Just a little paranoid.

I find this hard to believe.  A photo of the barrel would be helpful.

"Now that he has there is no Rifling in it."  What was he shooting? Could the barrel now be leaded up? :wacko:

He never shot the Rifle until a week ago . No it doesn't have a microgrove barrel.

I should say , the same thing thing happened to him about 10 yrs ago with a 44 mag Marlin 94 .

Had rifling in barrel for three inches. Then smoth bore. Marlin replaced that Barrel .

I told him to use it as a Shotgun , load 45-70 shot loads.

11 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

He never shot the Rifle until a week ago . No it doesn't have a microgrove barrel.

I should say , the same thing thing happened to him about 10 yrs ago with a 44 mag Marlin 94 .

Had rifling in barrel for three inches. Then smoth bore. Marlin replaced that Barrel .

I told him to use it as a Shotgun , load 45-70 shot loads.

Man he sure has bad luck with marlins. 

Probably rebarrelling would be the answer, if he is to keep and shoot the Marlin.  Otherwise, unless he has to scope it, I'd get rid of it and go for a M1886 Winchester, either a new Japanese-made or a later original.

One BIG point to this story is to fully check any new firearm purchase, just as soon as possible.  Including shooting it.  I have one gun sent back with manufacturer's service depot right now in which a problem developed 3 years from purchase.   This MFG has a 5 year no-argument warranty and is doing a $600 or more repair. 

good luck, GJ

Quote from Shot Show:

Also new is the Marlin 1895-410 lever-action shotgun(link is external): a .410-bore in a tried and true big-bore lever-action design. The Marlin Model 1895-410, with a fast-handling lever-action that packsquite a punch and offers fast follow-up capabilities against quick-moving small game like squirrel and rabbit.

Available in the user's choice of fixed open choke and flush choke tubes including improved, light modified and full, the Marlin Model 1895-410 features a 22"/55cm barrel, an American black walnut straight gun stock and a polished blue finish on all metal surfaces, as well as a semi-buckhorn rear sight and a fiber-optic front sight. The tubular magazine holds five .410-gauge, 2.5" shells.

Archived