SASS Wire Forum

OT: Reloading 9mm UPDATE

When the factory 9mm supply dried up, I thought I'd try loading my own. At the time, the only available bullets suitable for my Glock were Nossler 124 gr JHP. I've never loaded JHP (or lead HP) and didn't really want these, but that's all there was. Brass is once-fired Winchester from "white box" factory ammo.

Anyway, I'm all set up on a Hornady LNL AP, dies are from Lee and all appears to be good except I can't maintain a consistent OAL. For example, two rounds will be to spec, the next two or three or will be short or long, the next to spec and so on. This is before crimping. The Lee die comes only with a round nose seating plug so tried a flat nose one in a Hornady .38/.357 die to see if that changed anything. Results are the same. Note: the target OAL is 1.121. Results vary from extremes of 1.117 to 1.128, with the average falling in the 1.119 to 1.122

I've never had this issue with non-HP bullets, but this is my first go-around with 9mm. Are JHP bullets such that they won't engage the seating plug consistently, or am I missing something?

++++++++++++++

A new set of RCBS arrived today. Came with two seating plugs. The round nose plug fit the JHP bullet perfectly. Problem solved.

Thanks everyone!

Probably missing something.  Since this is the first time you've loaded 9MM, dies could be a problem.

A HP bullet should not be real tough to get a consistent seating position with.

Your Lee neck expander die is probably opening the mouth of the case too much.  Slug should be pretty firmly held by neck tension.  If you can move the slug ANY by hand after seating and before crimping, you don't have the neck tension you need.  Ask Lee for a smaller diameter expander button.  If they can't provide one, chuck the stem and button (with couple of jam nuts on the stem to protect threads) in a drill press, sand or file off a couple thousandths diameter.

If the slug is a firm fit in case, then you may want to ask Lee for a flat point seater plug.   Or fit an epoxy "adapter plug" onto the end of the your current seater stem, so you get a better fit on the nose.  Google how to do that.

good luck, GJ

8 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Probably missing something.  Since this is the first time you've loaded 9MM, dies could be a problem.

A HP bullet should not be real tough to get a consistent seating position with.

Your Lee neck expander die is probably opening the mouth of the case too much.  Slug should be pretty firmly held by neck tension.  If you can move the slug ANY by hand after seating and before crimping, you don't have the neck tension you need.  Ask Lee for a smaller diameter expander button.  If they can't provide one, chuck the stem and button (with couple of jam nuts on the stem to protect threads) in a drill press, sand or file off a couple thousandths diameter.

If the slug is a firm fit in case, then you may want to ask Lee for a flat point seater plug.   Or fit an epoxy "adapter plug" onto the end of the your current seater stem, so you get a better fit on the nose.  Google how to do that.

good luck, GJ

Thanks Joe. Neck tension seems to be ok, but will give it a second look. 

In the meantime, do you think a different set of dies might be better? RCBS and Hornady are currently available at Midway. I'm pretty sure they come with two seating plugs or a reversible one.

This is normal for HP bullets. The bullets do not have uniform "tips". When you use a round nose seating plug it should be contacting the ogive of the bullet, not the actual top. Being within 3-5 thousands is fine. You are not making 1000 yard accuracy loads. So long as they don't exceed max or min length and cycle in your pistol, you will be fine.

1 minute ago, Ranger Dan said:

... cycle in your pistol ...

Good point, Ranger. AS, do check this before you load too many.

Some guns can be fussy about certain HP bullets.

51 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

different set of dies might be better? RCBS and Hornady are currently available at Midway

I surely trust the RCBS (second would be Hornady) to be better designed to stay in correct position.  Lee often uses just an o-ring to hold the die "lock" ring in place.  Thus, die can shift.   Even their seating stems are usually "fixed" with an o-ring.   I like a solid lock ring or jam nuts -  preferably the split ring with a clamping screw that I can crank down when the die is set and the ring is down snug on the press head.    

And two different stem shapes are usually included in high quality pistol die sets, too!

(I have no Lee loading dies any more...BTW)

good luck, GJ

Like others have said, that variance is nothing to worry about as long as they  will all chamber reliably. Couple other things you might check, you said once fired brass, is it all the same length? 
check your seater plug and make sure its floating and or not gummed up with something. When I loaded wax lubed bullets it would eventually fill the seater die and affect OAL. flat bottom seat plug might help but not really needed.  

LF. 

Archived