SASS Wire Forum

Meh

DocWard

• DocWard changed the title to Meh
1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Is the heat getting to you Doc?

Nah, I decided after sixty-some views to a question l posed about ham radio with no responses, I would be a little more creative with my delete.

Sorry I missed your question.  Was up in Kansas shooting Prince Of Pistoliers when the battery in my cell phone decided to crap out. 

Had a good time however the heat was really bad Thursday and Friday. A storm front came through late Friday afternoon and cooled everything off. Saturday was a much more enjoyable day. 

44 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Nah, I decided after sixty-some views to a question l posed about ham radio with no responses, I would be a little more creative with my delete.

Some of us are just crazy-busy right at this moment.  Patience Grasshopper........ 

Uno is a Ham-ster.  I'll ping him for an opinion.

8 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

Some of us are just crazy-busy right at this moment.  Patience Grasshopper........ 

Uno is a Ham-ster.  I'll ping him for an opinion.

Patience? Who has time for that?

57 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I would have answered...if I had anything to offer. I got nada!!!

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

You're not the only one with very specific interests that don't get responses  :)

27 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You posted a question? About ham? :D

Yes. Is spiral sliced the best for sandwiches?

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Yes. Is spiral sliced the best for sandwiches?

Yes, spiral for sandwiches. 

Next time, include bacon in the header. Much more name recognition that ham.:rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yes, spiral for sandwiches. 

Next time, include bacon in the header. Much more name recognition that ham.:rolleyes:

But I’d hate to mislead everyone!

39 minutes ago, DocWard said:

But I’d hate to mislead everyone!

You could always say that you had difficulty differentiating between static of the radio and the sizzling of the bacon. Easy auditory mistake, could happen to anyone.

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

Most of us don't know a dang thing about ham radio, but are curious enough to take a look-see at the question.

I do like a good ham on rye, tho.  Mmmmmmmmmm, good.

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

Wished I'd seen it. I am very active in ham radio.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I like spiral. Honey is very good. Country, on the other hand, is really too salty to eat.

Knowing how to prepare country ham is the ticket!!  

Take your slices and put them in a nice big cast iron skillet. Pour in about a third of a cup of water and turn the burner wide open.  As the water begins to boil off rapidly, pour in a little Coca Cola, enough to change the color of the liquid in the skillet.  When it boils down again, turn the burner down.  I always turn the slices a couple of times during all of this.  Just as the liquid starts to caramelize, snatch those slices out and slap ‘em on a big ol’ cathead biscuit with some butter and a fresh slice of tomato and chow down!!  Really spectacular with three or four eggs over easy and some fried apples!  I like mise with ice cold milk, but most folks chase it all down with coffee!!

As far as ham radio goes, I’m lost as last year’s Easter egg!!!

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Wished I'd seen it. I am very active in ham radio.

The gist was / is I got my Technician Class license late last year, but with new job and numerous other things, haven't done much with it other than a Baofeng HT. I'm looking to get a dual band mobile for the truck (and eventually indoor use with a power supply, but that is down the road some). I was asking if anyone had advice which radios and antennas to look for or to avoid. As it is, the radio may be a moot point, given some hints I've received, so I will be looking at things like best antenna and any connection considerations for the truck.

10 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I would have answered...if I had anything to offer. I got nada!!!

me too , i was interested tho always thought it would be fun to get into - too many other things to spend on precluded that 

20 minutes ago, watab kid said:

me too , i was interested tho always thought it would be fun to get into - too many other things to spend on precluded that 

Well, it is asked again, so keep an eye out.

Maybe we need to start a habit of if you see a post and are interested, just add "watching" in a post, so some impatient person like me doesn't just say "Meh, never mind!"

I'll take a poll of the guys in the Ham Club at work and wee what they recommend for a dual band rig and antenna.

Myself, I tend to make my own omni base station antennas. I am fond of the J-pole design. Easy to diy out of copper pipe.

5 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

That's something I've always appreciated about you, Doc.

Your enthusiasm. :rolleyes:

You know me well.

57 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Come on Pards.

We were talking about MEH!

Derailed Thread.jpg

images.png

Mine is an Icom 208H 2m/70cm with a Diamond no-ground dual-band antenna.
I have it clamped on the lip of my Jeep hood, driver's side, which gets it as far as possible from starboard electronics.

It's been reliable for the past good Lord ten years already (General Class).

The 208H isn't made anymore, and if I were to get a new one I would go Yaesu, on the recommendation of a local radio tech who tells me that Yaesu is seen the least frequently on his repair bench.

Caveat:

When you wire one up:

1) Go directly to the battery. Do not ground to chassis or anything else. Hot wire to the battery's hot terminal, ground wire to the battery's ground terminal. Don't pull power from anywhere else. This will eliminate noise from your electronics and it'll prevent your electronics from going haywire when you key up and transmit.

2) Fuse BOTH HOT AND GROUND WIRES -- AT THE BATTERY!!! -- this prevents a chafed-through wire from shorting out and backfeeding, which tends to produce Magic Smoke and smells really bad.

My apologies for missing your original post. No idea why it got by me. Can't even come up with a thin and implausible sounding excuse.

De KD8NGE/sksk

Quote from Doc Ward:

"Nah, I decided after sixty-some views to a question l posed about ham radio with no responses, I would be a little more creative with my delete."

Mine was in response to his now deleted OP.

My apologies for the confusion.

1 minute ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Quote from Doc Ward:

"Nah, I decided after sixty-some views to a question l posed about ham radio with no responses, I would be a little more creative with my delete."

Mine was in response to his now deleted OP.

My apologies for the confusion.

Wasn't poking at you Linn. I'm amused by the technical jargon. Reads like secret code to a guy like me who is ignorant of such things. My wife's eyes glaze over when I say things like "I'm working up a recipe for a 124 gr 9mm JHP". :)

(drops forehead into palm)

(shakes head)

(laughs)

Fear not:  I have a matchless ability to confuse any situation!

Why, I can get in trouble just settin' in my easy chair!

51 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You lost me right there. 

41 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Wasn't poking at you Linn. I'm amused by the technical jargon. Reads like secret code to a guy like me who is ignorant of such things. My wife's eyes glaze over when I say things like "I'm working up a recipe for a 124 gr 9mm JHP". :)

It’s Okay, I understood. Mostly.

Archived