SASS Wire Forum

Mount Rushmore, SD

So I am in Rapid City, SD for a few days of business and decided to take a side trip to Mount Rushmore.

As much as I am grateful to participate in this experiment called America, and as much as I am in awe of what these four men did to establish, preserve, and shape our country, I cannot help but feel sadness at this “monument”.

It is a beautiful mountain. Why blow up one end of it in the name of creating one more monument?  Or maybe I am too much of a conservationist.

F481C302-2B17-449A-AEA2-CEF76173E80F.jpeg

I’m in  awe and very grateful for that beautiful monument, long may it stand. When Crazy Horse memorial is finished I’ll feel the same way, if I’m still around.

A57631A7-8929-42CB-BCB2-364F8CFD4654.jpeg

1 hour ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

So I am in Rapid City, SD for a few days of business and decided to take a side trip to Mount Rushmore.

As much as I am grateful to participate in this experiment called America, and as much as I am in awe of what these four men did to establish, preserve, and shape our country, I cannot help but feel sadness at this “monument”.

It is a beautiful mountain. Why blow up one end of it in the name of creating one more monument?  Or maybe I am too much of a conservationist.

18006963-F5B6-4A9D-B8BA-94A1AD74605E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m in  awe and very grateful for that beautiful monument, long may it stand. When Crazy Horse memorial is finished I’ll feel the same way, if I’m still around.

There were several people at the monument who were moved to tears. It was for them whom the monument was made, and I was quite happy for them. 

For me, I go back country in national parks and think about ol’ Teddy and all he did to expand the NPS. 

It’d be a boring America if we all were moved in the same way. 

Don't hold your breath. They have been working on this since I was a kid in 1976. I saw it then, in 2002, and in 2015. At the rate they are going the rapture will come first!

Been to it and by it countless times, still don't get it.

Would be the same as this...

" If you think this giant Redwood is beautiful now, wait till I take a saw and lay it on the ground."

While the front side is impressive, the backside took a lot more work.

3nxm6vpmxysy.jpg

2 hours ago, Cholla said:

Don't hold your breath. They have been working on this since I was a kid in 1976. I saw it then, in 2002, and in 2015. At the rate they are going the rapture will come first!

First time I saw it was 1960 and I’m pretty sure it won’t be finished in my lifetime but I’m still amazed every time I see it, Rushmore is a miniature compared to Crazy Horse.

27 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

Been to it and by it countless times, still don't get it.

Would be the same as this...

" If you think this giant Redwood is beautiful now, wait till I take a saw and lay it on the ground."

Redwood burl is a beautiful wood to work with. My wife’s planters are over 20 years old now.

12 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Redwood burl is a beautiful wood to work with. My wife’s planters are over 20 years old now.

I'm not talking about making gun carts out of it.....:blink:

I'm talking about cutting it down, leaving it lay behind a fence so people can walk around it complimenting how beautiful it looks as their all mighty tourist dollar is collected.

IMO, the monument is far better than covering it with tract housing.

We last saw this in the 80s... had the kids there when they were young.
It was raining that night, and Lincoln looked a lot like the Frankenstein monster.

All in all.. pretty cool.

First time I saw it was 1960 and I’m pretty sure it won’t be finished in my lifetime but I’m still amazed every time I see it, Rushmore is a miniature compared to Crazy Horse.

If I remember correctly, they refuse any federal funds to make it happen. Props to them for that but I don't see it getting done in the next 50 years.

37 minutes ago, Cholla said:

If I remember correctly, they refuse any federal funds to make it happen. Props to them for that but I don't see it getting done in the next 50 years.

Last time I was there, about 10 years ago, one of the staff that I was visiting with estimated 45-50 years to finish it. The first time I was there the top of the head and forehead were being carved on.

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

While the front side is impressive, the backside took a lot more work.

3nxm6vpmxysy.jpg

Someone once said that this was the view from Canada.

made the trip again [third time] last fall , ill not throw rocks at conservation as i too am a teddy fan for the NPS , but every society needs a couple monuments to celebrate its history and i too look forward to seeing crazy horse completed should i be blessed to live that long ----which i doubt more and more these days 

It took them 57 years to finally finish the carving on Stone Mountain.  And they still had to significantly scale back the original design.  The only thing saving it now is that it's too high up for the woke crowd to reach with their cans of spray paint.

I went to SD two years ago and saw these two monuments. Both of these will seem insignificant after the completion of the Bubba Johnson memorial that is being carved out of a giant block of Cheddar Cheese in Wisconsin.  

While you're in awe of these monuments, remember;  the ancient Egyptians built the pyramids in their spare time, using copper chisels, in the lifetime of one king.

Archived