SASS Wire Forum

Holster for Richards Mason type II

Cibola Al

I occasionally get the urge to pick up one (or two) of these conversion revolvers, but with the ejector rod housing being in a different position, I suspect a special holster would be required. Anybody have a recommendation for a leather crafter who builds holsters for the Richards Mason type II? Thanks, Al

Any slim jim holster should work! I use mernicle holsters for my Richard masons and open tops. They work for my cap and ball also. I do have a set of 1860 slim jims for cap and ball that do not work well for my Richards, I could mold them but choose to leave them the way they are.

3 hours ago, Cibola Al said:

I occasionally get the urge to pick up one (or two) of these conversion revolvers, but with the ejector rod housing being so much closer to 12 o’clock, I suspect a special holster would be required. Anybody have a recommendation for a leather crafter who builds holsters for the Richards Mason type II? Thanks, Al

Greasy Red in Silver City built mine. :)

1 hour ago, Captain Clark said:

Greasy Red in Silver City built mine. :)

I'm always up for supporting the local guys, is he a Gila Ranger?

It's not so much the ejector housing as the big chunk of steel below the barrel.  My '51 Richards-Masons fit in all my SAA holsters, but the Type II's only fit in a couple and had to do some wet molding on those.   A holster made for a '60 Army should work, might have to mold in some more for the ejector.

15 hours ago, Cibola Al said:

I'm always up for supporting the local guys, is he a Gila Ranger?

Yes he is one of the original founders of the club. He’s a good leather craftsman!

80AAF8C6-2973-4872-B863-B26F6DB94615.jpeg

My OTs are smooth, but not worked over professionally.I’ve done all the work myself including parts and repairs. I can say that they aren’t reliable if aggressive light hammer springs are used. I actually think the RM type guns are balanced better than the 1871 style guns. My current RMs are a pair of odd ducks being chambered in 45 Schofield! :)

Anything that works with a '72 Open top will work. Most 1851 or 1860 holsters should work also if they leave enough room for the ejector rod tab.

I don't understand what you mean by the ejector rod being closer to 12:00. That would put it on top of the barrel.

6 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Anything that works with a '72 Open top will work. Most 1851 or 1860 holsters should work also if they leave enough room for the ejector rod tab.

I don't understand what you mean by the ejector rod being closer to 12:00. That would put it on top of the barrel.

Probably means 6-o'clock.

Must be like my 2 teenagers and can only read digital clocks :)

Archived