SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA color case refinished - pictures added

Warden Callaway

18 minutes ago, Mr w said:

Beautiful colors. Is there a reason he case hardened the hammer screw with it and not the other two screws

I plan to ask Bill Fuchs when I correspond with him the next time.  I'm betting it's used to hang the frame for dipping in cleaning liquid or maybe suspend it in charcoal.  I expect it to come back blue.

Here is the hammer - left and right side.  It would have normal been bright on the sides on second generation Colt SAA. The first generation would have been color cased.  I like the color case.

1304033206_ColtSAAhammerleftsideJune142021.thumb.jpg.5d5892eea6df79bd329776a76c3d86a2.jpg

1308520645_ColtSAAhammerrightsideJune142021.thumb.jpg.88925a1dd77474923f385a839a180eda.jpg

19 hours ago, Mr w said:

Beautiful colors. Is there a reason he case hardened the hammer screw with it and not the other two screws

Bill says the hammer screw was to keep the hammer with the frame as there will be multiple frames and hammers in one batch.

Its a shame it came out so uneven and with color variations.  I hope he corrects that before he sends it back to you. :P

Can't wait to see it all assembled, that looks great!  I have a first gen that my great aunt had reblued as a present to my great uncle sometime in the 50's.  She just didn't like the all grey look of it....  Someday I hope to correct this and have the CC redone on the frame.  Colt's just dont look quite right all blued in my eyes.

5 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

what was the cost and turn around time like?

A bit over a month turn around. He's "Lever Action Bill" over on the Colt forum and just told someone that he's a solid month of work ahead of him.

Price depends on how much repair work and degree of preparation for finish, new parts, etc.   He has prices listed on his web site. But you need to get the gun in his hands to get an estimate of total project cost.  

https://springcreekarmory.com/

He hand polishes the parts with blocks so no dished holes or wavy surfaces.  He doesn't use a buffing wheel (that I know of).  He can TIG weld up pits, nicks, rounded edges, weld and recut hammer notches.  

We dropped off this Colt in person and he checked the timing,  etc and took it apart and examined the parts.  He shot me a price.  I paid in cash up front.  He smiled. 

20 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hope you make a detailed video of the unpacking and range session. 

OLG 

Bill sent me a message this morning with a UPS tracking number.  It should be here tomorrow.  The tracking number doesn't work yet.  It probably won't until it hits a major hub. 

It'll be 100 tomorrow and humid.  I doubt if I'll make any video unless I get some phots of the brown van coming and going down the drive.

It got here about 30 minutes ago in great shape. I'm very happy. As it's 97 / 102 outside,  so I just stepped out and took this one picture.  It's a bit out of focus.  I'll try to got some better pictures latter on.  Nearly new 2019 in front.  

308875946_ColtSAA45ColtnewcolorcaseJune172021.jpg.ef0d06c7866c80f32bd885f6dfdefd7e.jpg

• Warden Callaway changed the title to Colt SAA color case refinished - pictures added
  • 3 weeks later...

Bill Fuchs had been asking if I had shot the Colt that he had given a new makeover.  He had test fired it to confirm that it was shooting to point of aim. But he wanted to know how it shot with my loads.  Well, one thing lead to another and then rain day after day, it just wasn't the right time.

I decided since today is my birthday, and there was a match to go to, I'd just take it and shoot it.  And I'd take the third generation Colt SAA 45 I bought new in 2019.

Here they are before the shooting started.  The third generation above the refinished second generation. 

822925878_ColtSAA45sbeforeJuly2021.jpg.6da96bfa18afd8ca0b03035980e43ffb.jpg

Here is after 5 stages. Loads were C45S case, 200 g bullet with no lube, and pushed by BlackMZ.

1368461979_ColtSAA45safterJuly2021.jpg.31fdf481552d67854433ebbdae47e6cb.jpg

Not too nasty.  

Missed none with the old second generation that Bill Fuchs had refinished.  The gun had an excellent action to start with. I don't know if Bill did anything to it. I do know he replaced the cylinder bushing to tighten up the endshake.

I had 3 misses in the match and all were from the third generation Colt.  The trigger pull was bad out of the box. I improved it up some with Wolfe springs and honing the action but the trigger pull is still somewhat heavy with a good bit of creep.  When my sights aligned on the target,  I'd press the trigger and the hammer wouldn't drop.  I may end up dropping it off with Bill and have him improved it up.

Archived