SASS Wire Forum

Aftermarket Revolver Base Pins Allowed?

Kansas City Munny

Just a simple question pards. It's not clear in the Shooters Handbook, but is replacement of the standard Ruger base pins with an aftermarket unit like Power Customs allowed?

Thanks!

KCM

9 minutes ago, Kansas City Munny said:

Just a simple question pards. It's not clear in the Shooters Handbook, but is replacement of the standard Ruger base pins with an aftermarket unit like Power Customs allowed?

Thanks!

KCM

Yes

I sure hope so!  I have Base Mountain pins in my Rugers. 

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

I sure hope so!  I have Base Mountain pins in my Rugers. 

The best.

I swapped mine out for a shorter one so it would come completely out.  Feel it aids in cleaning.

OMVs are case hardened or whatever Ruger called it and pin is SS.  Never had anyone take note of different finishes.

8 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I swapped mine out for a shorter one so it would come completely out.  Feel it aids in cleaning.

OMVs are case hardened or whatever Ruger called it and pin is SS.  Never had anyone take note of different finishes.

That would be some serious nit-picking if they did.:lol:

Rex :D

My question is mostly prompted by what I think is unusual wear of the finish on one of the pins for one of my match guns. I have two blued 512 series NMV which I've been shooting for a little more than two years. There are probably 1000-1500 rounds through each pistol, but one pin is almost devoid of any factory bluing. Both guns function perfectly and shoot identical. I don't pick one or the other to be holstered right vs. left.  

I'm not sure if it's the bluing, pin, cylinder, or what, so I was considering aftermarket pins for both.

2 hours ago, Kansas City Munny said:

My question is mostly prompted by what I think is unusual wear of the finish on one of the pins for one of my match guns. I have two blued 512 series NMV which I've been shooting for a little more than two years. There are probably 1000-1500 rounds through each pistol, but one pin is almost devoid of any factory bluing. Both guns function perfectly and shoot identical. I don't pick one or the other to be holstered right vs. left.  

I'm not sure if it's the bluing, pin, cylinder, or what, so I was considering aftermarket pins for both.

Bluing is not durable.  There is a cylinder rotating around the base pin.  The bluing will wear off.  There is nothing wrong.  Don't waste your money on something you do not need.

13 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Bluing is not durable.  There is a cylinder rotating around the base pin.  The bluing will wear off.  There is nothing wrong.  Don't waste your money on something you do not need.

Understood.  I figured the bluing would wear, but with the same round count in both pistols, it's just strange that one is considerably more worn than the other. As I said, both function perfectly well, so my initial thought was to run them until they don't run.

Archived